Farming: How many calories burned?

Options
BRFMcKay
BRFMcKay Posts: 80 Member
Tomorrow I start my 4 hours of farming for my CSA. I do it once a week, and really it is 3.5 hours (210 minutes) with a half-hour break.

We are on our feet or knees the whole time. Sometimes it is just standing in the green house, planting seeds. Sometimes it is weeding, etc. And sometimes it is planting in the field.

I looked on here, and it says I will burn more than 2,000 for the 3.5 hours. That seems extreme! But I don't know if my trusty HRM will work, since it is a Garmin for running.

Any advice? Anyone ever farm/garden for that long?

Replies

• nikit32
    nikit32 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Im no expert but I do a lot of gardening. Im sure you wont come near burning that many calories. I would try out your hrm and see what it says. Unless you are breaking a sweat and doing some good labor like shoveling its not going to come anywhere close to that amount burned. My sister wore a hrm while we dug trenches for potatoes this week and she only burned like 130 in over an hour.
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    Personally, for things like that, I don't log them. Even though it may be more physical than your normal daily routine, I would just consider it a bonus and not log it. It's better than overestimating. I only log actual workouts.... anything else is bonus for me. Just what I do....
  • Shfiftyfive
    Shfiftyfive Posts: 261
    Options
    Figure a TDEE increase of "lightly active" to "active" for that day.
  • Feed_the_Bears
    Feed_the_Bears Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Yeah unless you're breaking a swaet just call it daily activity. Do you log chores? Probably not. At the most, log it as a walk and maybe shave it down a bit.
  • BRFMcKay
    BRFMcKay Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I only consider logging it as exercise because it is quite strenuous! In the summer I sweat out buckets. When I first did it last year, my body hurt so bad each week. My one coworker laughed because after my first day last year, I had to PUSH myself off my desk just to stand up! lol.

And because of my work schedule, waking up at 8 a.m. it hard on my body, so I can't work out any more that day.

I will probably do Feed_the_Bear's tip, and see what walking says.