Cold hands

Options
rmac18
rmac18 Posts: 185 Member
Recently I've been experiencing feeling very cold, especially during the afternoon in my office. No one seems to feel that it is cold so it must just be me. I've noticed being a little more cold over the past few months but it is getting worse and starting to bother me. I feel it all over but mostly noticeable in my hands. I've lost 94 pounds over the past year and still want to lose another 50 or so. I recently upped my calories by about 300 a day which allows my net to be close to what MFP recommends for me at 1,370 (I'd hit a bit of a lull in weight loss so I upped calories to kickstart and it worked) and I work out regularly so I often eat 2,000 calories or more on workout days and much less on off days. Anyone else have any experience with this? I'm still losing weight and otherwise feel great. Thanks,

Replies

• rmac18
    Options
    bump
  • Swopkin
    Swopkin Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I asked a similar question a while back, but didn't receive an answer. I suffer cold hands and feet which sometimes even prevent me to sleep. My guess is that we both have bad circulation; exercise seems to help, though, because when I talk a brisk walk before going to bed or when I swim a lot the symptoms seem to diminuish.
  • shbretired
    shbretired Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    how about try some compression?
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    since I've started eating a lot more healthy fats, I don't get cold hands often. I still get cold feet, but putting on socks helps that :) Looking at your diary, it looks like you are often under your fats. Try some avocados and full fat dairy, or other healthy fat sources.
  • rmac18
    Options
    thanks spngebobmyher Interesting comment on eating more healthy fats, I'll try that,

shbretired, What do you mean by compression?

Swopkin, I exercise a lot and have been for the past year, I don't think I have a circulation issue and my BP is fine and no known issues there, I was wondering it it wasn't diet related (fats as suggested here or someone sent me a message about blood sugar). If it continues I go to the doctor, Hope you find a solution.

Any other input would be appreciated. Thanks,
  • flobee76
    flobee76 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I was going to suggest adding in some healthy fats as well. I have always suffered with cold hands and feet and chalked it up to heredity (my mom and sister have cold hands and feet). I recently began adding unrefined coconut oil to my smoothies, taking in about 2-3 tsps per day. My hands and feet are at normal body temp!!
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Hi

Do your fingers change color at all? I have a syndrome called Reynaud's, which is actually quite common, where the hands get very cold (but usually from some sort of stimulus, like touching a cold class or putting your hand in the freezer). Anyway, one of the most telling characteristics of it is that your fingers turn white (they say it looks like candle wax, which it kind of does). Then when they warm up (which is very sudden), they turn very, very pink.
  • shbretired
    shbretired Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    compression socks, gloves, sleeves. Check out walmart or a pharmacy. Circulatory problems.

Like after 2 back surgeries sometimes my right ankle swells, i got compression socks. Feels better, doesn't swell.
    of course in the summer I'm too hot for socks, but haven't noticed any swelling since I'm doing zumba so much a week.
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    After I'd lost like 40 pounds, I noticed I was colder than everyone else most of the time. My feet and hands are usually on the cold side. My doctor said that as long as I didn't lose feeling or have any strange sensations or change color, not to worry about it.
  • Swopkin
    Options
    thanks spngebobmyher Interesting comment on eating more healthy fats, I'll try that,

shbretired, What do you mean by compression?

Swopkin, I exercise a lot and have been for the past year, I don't think I have a circulation issue and my BP is fine and no known issues there, I was wondering it it wasn't diet related (fats as suggested here or someone sent me a message about blood sugar). If it continues I go to the doctor, Hope you find a solution.

Any other input would be appreciated. Thanks,

My apologies. I wasn't trying to offend you or your exercise routine. I was merely relating what helped for me.
  • sabinecbauer
    sabinecbauer Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Have you had your thyroid levels checked lately? Feeling constantly cold, and especially cold hands and feet, is a classic symptom of hypothyroidism.
  • rmac18
    Options
    swopkin, no offense taken, I appreciate the feedback, sorry if it came off that way.
  • SWEETS1234
    SWEETS1234 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I've always run a bit on the cold side but since losing the weight it's become much more noticeable. I just live with it. I do like the idea of trying to eat more healthy fatts.
  • rmac18
    Options
    After I'd lost like 40 pounds, I noticed I was colder than everyone else most of the time. My feet and hands are usually on the cold side. My doctor said that as long as I didn't lose feeling or have any strange sensations or change color, not to worry about it.

Did this ever go away or are you still experiencing it?
  • rmac18
    Options
    Hi

Do your fingers change color at all? I have a syndrome called Reynaud's, which is actually quite common, where the hands get very cold (but usually from some sort of stimulus, like touching a cold class or putting your hand in the freezer). Anyway, one of the most telling characteristics of it is that your fingers turn white (they say it looks like candle wax, which it kind of does). Then when they warm up (which is very sudden), they turn very, very pink.

Thanks for your comment, I drink ice water throughout the day and I wonder if that might be the stimulus. They aren't cold at the moment but I will pay attention to the color next time they get gold. Have you been able to treat this effectively?
  • rmac18
    Options
    Have you had your thyroid levels checked lately? Feeling constantly cold, and especially cold hands and feet, is a classic symptom of hypothyroidism.

Thanks for the comment, I had it checked a year ago with no issue but I've lost 94 pounds since so maybe it's time for another check.
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Hi

Thanks for your comment, I drink ice water throughout the day and I wonder if that might be the stimulus. They aren't cold at the moment but I will pay attention to the color next time they get gold. Have you been able to treat this effectively?

As far as I know, there is no treatment. Most of us who have it have just been told to try to limit direct exposure to cold, so I have to wear gloves all throughout the winter, etc. and I use an insulated tumbler at work for my cold water. The only real problem I have is that if I forget my gloves and have to be outside or am doing something like cleaning the freezer out, that can actually be painful for me.
  • rmac18
    Options
    Hi

As far as I know, there is no treatment. Most of us who have it have just been told to try to limit direct exposure to cold, so I have to wear gloves all throughout the winter, etc. and I use an insulated tumbler at work for my cold water. The only real problem I have is that if I forget my gloves and have to be outside or am doing something like cleaning the freezer out, that can actually be painful for me.

I'm sorry to hear that, best of luck.
  • waffleflavoredtea
    waffleflavoredtea Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I experience this problem too - I just wanted to say for those of you who have trouble sleeping because of it, on my worst nights (like winter time) I take 2 Niacin pills 15 minutes before bed. That famous heated niacin flush gets your circulation moving like CRAZY and you are super relaxed and ready to sleep :)
    Niacin is a form of vitamin B12 and it's hard to go wrong with it if it's in moderation!
  • Swopkin
    Options
    I experience this problem too - I just wanted to say for those of you who have trouble sleeping because of it, on my worst nights (like winter time) I take 2 Niacin pills 15 minutes before bed. That famous heated niacin flush gets your circulation moving like CRAZY and you are super relaxed and ready to sleep :)
    Niacin is a form of vitamin B12 and it's hard to go wrong with it if it's in moderation!

Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely try it out. Is it available in every pharmacy?