Is anyone doing weight loss surgery?

Options
I'm using this site to track nutrition/exercise, and was wondering if anyone else is doing surgery as a tool to help with obesity.

Replies

• Asil02
    Asil02 Posts: 261
    Options
    As a newly diagnosed diabetic with high blood pressure and over 100 pounds to lose, I am considering it. However, my doctor would like me to think about it and try on my own first. I've been thinking on it a while and have tried just about every diet on this planet. This tool, though, seems to be awesome and is really helping me to keep track of what I eat and stay accountable to myself.
    Are you already decided to have the surgery? Will you be doing lap or bypass?
  • leehalehunter
    Options
    Hi,
    I am having the sleeve gastrectomy on the 23rd. I have been dieting all my life and just can't keep the momentum going. I know this will be a challenging path to take, but I am committed to having the surgery and getting on with my life. I know several people who had the surgery and they are very happy they did.
    After bi-pass surgery most people do not have to take diabetic medication (or as much) and blood pressures go down almost immediately. I am on the pre-surgery diet now and hope that goes OK. I am excited about this step I'm taking, however you do not want to do it if you have any reservations.
  • mygastricsleevelife
    Options
    I'm having the vertical sleeve gastrectomy (gastric sleeve) done this coming Monday. I'm on my pre-op diet now. I'm hoping to lose about 120 lbs total. I use MFP and also have an outside blog I started for my journey - http://mygastricsleevelife.blogspot.com
  • gsbanks1
    gsbanks1 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm in the process off getting it approved through my insurance. I have one month left of nutrition classes then I can submit my info to the insurance company.
  • JeanineLaymon1970
    JeanineLaymon1970 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I had RNY Gastric Bypass on 12/11/2012...

SAVED MY LIFE!

I though about it for years before I did it, was the best decision I have ever made!

I am almost 5 months out, have lost 105 pounds and have 90 more to go!

J :flowerforyou:
  • BandedTriaRN
    BandedTriaRN Posts: 303
    Options
    I'm using this site to track nutrition/exercise, and was wondering if anyone else is doing surgery as a tool to help with obesity.

I had the lap-band and am extremely happy with it. I never would have lost the weight and kept it off without it. I had mine 9/20/12. I'm 52 now and in a wheelchair from a neurodegenerative genetic disorder and I've lost over 100 lbs so far (about 25 prior to surgery). You should really check out the pros and cons of the operations before you have them. People can have complications with any of the WLS options, you need to ask all the questions when you see a baratric surgeon remember to ask about how often you will have to see them after surgery and how long, diet before and after, complications, etc. Good luck with your decision.

You can see my before and after photos (for so far) under my photos area. I was originally 310 and now are down to abt 200:)
  • PayShi
    PayShi Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    My mom had Gastric Bypass in 2003 before Lapband came out or we had known about it. She was almost 500 lbs and it was life or death. She's now 235 (and has been slackin for a couple of years.) But it was a HARD journey for her but I'd have to say WORTH IT. If you can AVOID it, avoid it I'd say. If it's life or death and/or your doctor feels it's the right option DO IT. One of my motivations right now is to AVOID it and do it on my own. So far, so good. But like I said, it changed the world for my Mom! And saved her life!
    Congrats, Jeanine!!!!! :) Keep it up!
  • Asil02
    Asil02 Posts: 261
    Options
    Good luck to you all who are about to have the surgery.

To JeanineLaymon1970 - Congrats on all the success and the beautiful future ahead of you!

To all of you I'd love to have you add me as a friend and keep me posted!
  • Lovely135
    Lovely135 Posts: 161
    Options
    I have been thinking about it too. I have met with my doctor and everything. But I was kind of scared of complication, and b/c of the fact that there are certain foods I wont be able to eat anymore. So I discovered roca labs which promises a gastric bypass surgery effect. I bought it, and it seems like it's working. I started it before I joined MPF. So far I lost 10lbs. in one month with little to no exercise. It kept me full most of the day and any little I eat I feel full. I drink lots of water. it comes with an anti-craving powder which I love. I call the anticraving the cap of my stomach. After I eat although I am full, I have this crazy craving that makes me want to eat more. So I add the anticraving powder in my dessert mostly activia yogurt. craving is gone. (I put a cap on it LOL) It's really hard for me to even eat 1,200 calorie a day, most of the time I eat below that. So I am keeping my finger cross:love: