Height loss??

Options
Cely21
Cely21 Posts: 50 Member
I was just wondering if anyone has had a change in height since they started their weightloss journey? I started in Sept. '11, was 5'6 now that I've lost 40lbs I measured myself because I kept getting told that I have gotten shorter, after measuring I'm 5'4.5 now how is that possible?? =/

Replies

• ChristyU74
    ChristyU74 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I don't know about height, but I swear my feet are smaller now! (Or maybe vanity sizing has moved into the shoe department!)
  • cherbapp
    cherbapp Posts: 322
    Options
    Before I had gastric bypass I was always 5'9.5"...320-some pounds.

Ever since I lost weight after that I have only been 5'8.5". I lost 110... Gained 55 back but never gained a fraction of an inch back. I am just now working my way back to losing the 55... 2 pounds to go! Curious if I will lose more height when I continue on for the other 40 pounds I plan to lose.

I wouldn't mind...and yes the half inches matter because my hubby is 5'10" and I always wished he were taller...In a way I'm getting my wish. Lol
  • cherbapp
    cherbapp Posts: 322
    Options
    Oh and my dr thought it was fat between my discs and vertebrae...who knows for sure?
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Oh and my dr thought it was fat between my discs and vertebrae...who knows for sure?
    Boy that would suck! I'll have to measure myself. That would change my weight loss goal fairly significantly!
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I don't know about height, but I swear my feet are smaller now! (Or maybe vanity sizing has moved into the shoe department!)
    Um why would your feet be the one place on your body that doesn't gain or lose fat?
  • Rizabees
    Rizabees Posts: 80
    Options
    My feet got smaller, I lost a little bit of height.
    Before I started losing weight my toes didn't really touch the floor [lololol] and now they do.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options

My feet have gone from wide to very narrow. It's actually a big issue with me since I had to replace most of my shoes.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    No height loss, but there has been length gain. :blushing:
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Not to scare you but I would definitly talk to your doctor about this. About 7 years ago my wife seemed to be getting shorter (I noticed she didn't fit right when I would hug her good bye in the morning). Several months after taking this up with our doctor she underwent major spinal surgery (fussion from L5 all he way to her neck, only two disks left in her entire back). Losing significant height (more than 1/4 inch per year) can be caused by a lot of different issues so talking with your doctor and having some tests done is a really good idea.
  • ChristyU74
    ChristyU74 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    Um why would your feet be the one place on your body that doesn't gain or lose fat?
    [/quote]

I just never really thought about it before I lost weight, and you never really hear people saying, "Wow, I lost two shoe sizes!" :smile:

I really didn't lose a lot of weight, and the width didn't change, but the length of my feet has. I can see where the width would change significantly for some people, as mentioned. And yes, a big pain and expense to replace all the shoes and the clothes!
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Oh and yes my feet are half a size to 3/4 size smaller now. Still wide though.
  • manda1002
    manda1002 Posts: 178 Member
    Options

OMG I hope my feet get smaller the more weight I lose!! I wear size 12, and do you know how hard it is to find cute shoes, or really, any shoes most of the time??? And my feet are wide too, so I hope that changes too!

As for height, I hope I don't lose height!! But I would buy the fat between the vertebrae suggestion. Time to research!
  • sun33082
    sun33082 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I've lost about 1/2 inch on my height and my feet are definitely smaller. Most of my shoes are too big and they used to be almost too small lol
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    Daaaaamn. lmao :)
  • Cely21
    Options
    Thanx you guys.. & I'm definetly taking this up with my Dr. My husbands the one who actually noticed it when he would hug me & my 12 year old thought it was hilarious that she's almost taller than me.. Me I'm a little concerned it just doesn't seem right..
  • Cely21
    Options

LMFAO!! Well thts a good thing 4 u.. I hope??
  • vahine03
    vahine03 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Lost height while gaining my weight :o I'm sure it's not the weight gain. Maybe the stress and pressure of things that took its toll on me...>.> :tongue: I was 5'6 at 11 years and now i'm 5'5 and turning 23 soon. :(
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    I have been gaining height with weight loss. I have scoliosis, and I carry weight mostly in my belly, which pulls the curvature of my spine lower. As I lose that belly fat, my spine is able to straighten up a bit. It's the difference between being 5'2" and 5'2 and three quarters ".

When I was a teen, and 98lb, I was a whole 5' 3". I wonder if i'll ever get that height back
  • kmcaan
    kmcaan Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Fat loss should raise your height because fat will curve your body.I would do bone density test and as you get older your body will shrink. If you have pain anywhere in your body I would get it checked out.
  • Cely21
    Options
    BTW.. I'm 33 i shouldn't have any bone loss yet.. I believe I should still have approx. another 30 yrs to worry about that.. I say that because my BFF told me I was old already & that I was already startting lose bone mass.. She was joking of course.. That little jerk! =)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!