Can I lose 2 pounds a week eating 1300 calories a day?

Options
I'm 5'4" at 148 pounds right now. I'm finding 1200 is kinda too low, so I bumped it up to 1300, and on exercise days I eat back the calories to stay at my net of 1300. I know it's just 100 calories more than 1200, so it's not like it's that much of a difference.

Anyway, could I lose 2 pounds a week, or will it average out to more like 1.5 or 1?

Replies

• JSaltsea
    JSaltsea Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    It all depends what you eat. To make a short answer.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    The closer you are to "ideal" weight, the slower pounds will come off. So most likely no. Focus on exercise that burns fat, not the scale weight. Try strength training, circuit training and intervals. This will help you lose inches (which is what is more important)
  • hillbillyannie
    hillbillyannie Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I try to eat between 1100 and 1200 a day and I've lost about 90 so far. It depends on what you eat too. I wouldn't eat 1200 calories of chocolate cake a day ( which would be about one good slice-LOL). I don't exercise at all unless you count walking our dog in the yard and climbing the stairs to our second floor. You may have to make adjustments. I started at 1240 which is what they recommended then I lowered it a little. Just eat lots of veggies, measure your meat, watch the starches and sweets and keep your salt intake under control. Don't forget the water too. This will work as long as you're honest about everything that goes into your mouth. And as I like to tell people "There's light at the end of the tunnel and you didn't put it on in a day and you won't lose it in a day." Good luck.
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    The closer you are to "ideal" weight, the slower pounds will come off. So most likely no. Focus on exercise that burns fat, not the scale weight. Try strength training, circuit training and intervals. This will help you lose inches (which is what is more important)

TOTALLY AGREE! The first 30lbs came up 2-3lbs a week no problem but the 25 since...they come off sooooooo slow. I have had it at 1200 (2lbs a week) for a year...Yesterday i bumped it up to 1330 just to see if that'll change things up a bit
  • oliviawink
    oliviawink Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    very unlikely. I eat base 1200/day and about 3/4th of my exercise calories back and I average 1.25 lbs/week and I'm at 151 lbs. I know, it's brutal, but slow and steady is the way to go. Sorry chica!
  • JoniBologna
    JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    If you have only 20lbs to lose, aiming for 2lbs a week may not be very realistic. Try upping your calories more than 1300. You will be happier and more likely to stick with it. You can still lose weight and make drastic changes to your body without severely restricting your diet.
  • xhereinmyheadx
    xhereinmyheadx Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    If you have only 20lbs to lose, aiming for 2lbs a week may not be very realistic. Try upping your calories more than 1300. You will be happier and more likely to stick with it. You can still lose weight and make drastic changes to your body without severely restricting your diet.

Well, to be truthful, I'd say my ultimate goal weight right now would be to hit 115, so I'd say that's more than 20 pounds. But yeah, I understand the closer you are to your supposed healthy weight, the longer it would take to lose the pounds. I guess I've forgotten about the days when I was like 170 and losing steadily 2-3 pounds a week. I obviously had more weight to lose than I do now.