trouble eating enough calories

Options
so lately, I've had trouble eating enough calories...so by the end of the day I just decide to have something that's not so great for me because I need the extra calories. Does anyone have any suggestions about what I should do or have the same problem?

Replies

• marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I took a quick look at your diary and my only suggestion would be to eat more through out the day. Maybe add some healthy high cal foods, like some almonds or peanut butter and try eating a bigger breakfast and lunch.
  • Briski1411
    Briski1411 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Yah me too. But it's all good because I really enjoyed my 150Sonic -280MFP cal Sonic Ice cream cone. IMO don't worry about not hitting ur calorie level, but I don't know much about dieting . Y is there such a difference in what MFP says Cals are and what other sites and even restaurants say there is.
  • noturshorte
    noturshorte Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    lol I really don't know...I think most things in the database are what people just like us have entered? so if they're wrong, then it's wrong when we use it in our diary...I would think Sonic would atleast put the right nutritional info out? I enjoyed my wendy's frosty yesterday! lol
  • builtforlife
    builtforlife Posts: 259
    Options
    Pop Tarts work wonders when trying to reach your calorie goal! I usually eat two a day! :) 200 calories on ONE Pop Tart! Tip: The Lowfat ones taste like crap! Get the regular ones! :)
  • hawaii86442
    hawaii86442 Posts: 167
    Options
    Hey, eat some more fruit. Apples and bananas are great with peanut butter!!
  • nebogart
    nebogart Posts: 3
    Options
    I have the same issue, but my nutritionist suggested something high protein low carb if I need extra calories. I really like either nuts or Think Thin High Protein bars they are around 230 calories 20 grams of protein and 0g of sugar.
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Some thoughts on your daily food.

Breakfast - an egg, plus a white with a cup of raw spinach wilted with that ham you had would have made a nice omelet to go with your oatmeal. Plus it would have added some vitamins and iron.

Lunch - half a sweet potato would have gone well with the chicken and jacked up your vitamin and fiber intake. A pat of butter and 1 tsp of cinnamon would have added some natural fats and flavor.

Snacks - include a clementine or mandarin orange or a small apple with your protein bar.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I have that problem sometimes too. I need to make sure I have a good breakfast with at least 250-300 cals and if I don't get enough throughout the day, I eat some healthy trail mix. That usually takes care of the problem!
  • soontobesam
    soontobesam Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same issue. Don't get paid until Friday so for the past week or so I've been adding extra calories with peanut butter. I love peanut butter but I'm sure that's not the way I should be getting them in.
  • emgirls
    emgirls Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I love the peanut butter with fruit idea! Hadn't thought of it. Thanks.
  • BigBagofChit
    Options
    ya i have this problem and my cousin keeps ripping my *kitten* about it. its just hard for me right now because ive started a new job and been working 8-12 hour days
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same issue. Don't get paid until Friday so for the past week or so I've been adding extra calories with peanut butter. I love peanut butter but I'm sure that's not the way I should be getting them in.

What is wrong with peanut butter?
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Plan ahead.... enter in tomorrow meals and add a few snacks, then you can see how the day is looking and add extras to meals/snack if you need to (eg. add fruit, avocado, olive oil dressing, nuts, rice, cheese, or treats like icecream or dark chocolate etc to meals or snacks).
    It doesn't mean that you can't change your mind tomorrow, but it gives you a good guide so you don't end up way over or under at the end of the day.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Make your own protein smoothie!

50g whey - 180 cals
    50g oats - 180 cals
    10ml evoo - 90 cals
    Banana - 90 cals

Total = 540 cals in a single shake.

You can replace the banana with berries and the evoo (extra virgin olive oil) with peanut butter or a similar oil or nut butter.

Simples.
  • kprangernix07
    kprangernix07 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Some thoughts on your daily food.

Breakfast - an egg, plus a white with a cup of raw spinach wilted with that ham you had would have made a nice omelet to go with your oatmeal. Plus it would have added some vitamins and iron.

Lunch - half a sweet potato would have gone well with the chicken and jacked up your vitamin and fiber intake. A pat of butter and 1 tsp of cinnamon would have added some natural fats and flavor.

Snacks - include a clementine or mandarin orange or a small apple with your protein bar.

THIS!!!

AANNDDDD space your meals out. try to plan them the day before, or just set a watch and eat a 300 cal meal every 3-4 hours.
  • SusanMcAvoy
    SusanMcAvoy Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter, unsalted mixed nuts, protein shakes mixed with soy, regular or almond milk, bananas, Dannon Yogurt, cheese, are just a few suggestions that will add more calories in your diet and are very good for you. Watch out for cheese though, it's loaded with sodium.