Cold hands

Options
2»

Replies

• bmonagle
    bmonagle Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I had a similar problem. Check out your iron levels.
  • rmac18
    rmac18 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I had a similar problem. Check out your iron levels.

Thanks, is there a way to do this other than go to doctor and get blood test? I take a Men's multivitamin, fish oil, Glucosamine plus 10,000 IU Vitamin A, Vitamin B-100 Complex, 1000 mg Vitamin C, 5,400 IU Vitamin D, Zinc, Potassium Gluconate and Magnesium. Some of this was on advice of doctor and then after look at MFP I added B-100 Complex and Zinc for energy and the Potassium and Magnesium because I was way under on them according to MFP and RDA values on my diet. This may sound stupid but do men need iron supplements and if so, how much. I don't mind a little money on supplements as long as they are 100% safe and seem to have some value. In the case of the B-100 Complex and Zinc it did seem to help with energy levels in the afternoon.
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    After I'd lost like 40 pounds, I noticed I was colder than everyone else most of the time. My feet and hands are usually on the cold side. My doctor said that as long as I didn't lose feeling or have any strange sensations or change color, not to worry about it.

Did this ever go away or are you still experiencing it?

Five (or more?) years later, it's the same...but at least I haven't felt even colder as I lost more weight.
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    I finally lost the last 35 pounds this past year and was shivering cold in the winter indoors with the thermostat at 68. I'm usually cold in the morning before I walk. A couple of times in the last 10 days my fingertips felt furry, or tingly and I looked at them and they were white like a candle - a good description. Then became blue like dipped in ink or blueberry juice. Took about 30 minutes during which time I shook my hands, clapped them, downed 2 ounces of wine, and finally took a shower to warm up everything. It seems touching my cold food and bringing my frozen berries out from the freezer set it off each time.

I spoke with a doctor friend who told me it sounded like Reynaud's syndrome. I found some interesting links to explain it.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/raynauds-disease/DS00433/DSECTION=prevention

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raynaud's_phenomenon

My hands and feet have always been cold from October until May. My husband often comments on how I can be so cold. He wears shorts and a t-shirt and I wear long sleeves and a sweatshirt sometimes. You can feel heat radiating off of his body just by putting your hand near him! I wonder if that and also losing the final weight had something to do with it.

I am going to go for treating with prevention such as keeping myself warmer and cleaning up my diet. I am already following Dr. Fuhrman's Eat to Live plan, so now I can step it up as he has an auto immune diet which is vegan. I'm a retired nurse and the medical medication route does not appeal to me when there is also a dietary approach to try.

I also get plenty of good fats from nuts, seeds, and avocados. I just need to step up my diet to vegan. Also caffeine can restrict blood vessels so probably good for all of us with cold feet and hand to back away from it.
  • rmac18
    rmac18 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Caffeine, huh, that was my last good vice ;-)

Thanks for the input. I'm trying to add more good fats to diet as well. I am finding that when I have more even balance of protein, carbs and fats it seems like it might help with the coldness, at least it seemed that way a few times. I don't think I have Reynaud's and my my iron and Vitamin B levels are good so I think it could be a connection to diet or possibly caffeine as I do drink a fair amount of coffee. I really enjoy my coffee so I"m thinking more with diet first and if that doesn't help then maybe I'll kick the caffeine as well. It's really strange how I can feel so cold in my office yet the temp is fine and no one is bothered by it.
  • glass2diamonds
    Options
    I have anemia which causes cold hands and feet. I also experience Raynaud's syndrome you can take in all the iron you may need with supplements but may not be enough.I have to take 325 milligrams of iron everyday to even stay awake during the day. If you have an iron defiency you can have good levels one week or month and drop very low the next.