For those of you that jog on the treadmill

Options
Loves418
Loves418 Posts: 330 Member
Tell me how to be able to breath better! After I jog for a minute or a minute and half on 4.5 I need to walk because I feel like I am out of breath. What is the secret to having more lung power for jogging?

Replies

• suzzann666
    suzzann666 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    start off with intervals and work up from there
  • jshaps7
    jshaps7 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I used the couch to 5K program (which is basically just intervals). If you'd like to do it without a program, you can try running as long as you can, walk until you can control your breathing again, then run again. Just try to keep it up and slowly extend the running intervals.
  • misty0413
    misty0413 Posts: 212
    Options
    I think it just takes time. I usually do a 4.0 for as log as I can just a minute or two then have to crank it down to a 3 or 2.8 to catch my breath. Sometimes I think it depends on the mood I am in or the song on my Ipod.
  • Arrica
    Arrica Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I think it's just one of those things that gets easier with time
  • Aspynmom
    Aspynmom Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Count your steps and time your breathing...for example breathe in over 1-2-3 steps, breathe out over 1-2-3 steps. You can shorten or lengthen the step limit based on how out of breath you are. The Army taught me that. :)
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    The secret is working up to it. If you are out of breath, it's too fast. Slow down. Start with 3.5 or 4 even if you feel that's too slow, you'll last longer.... then after a while bump it up and keep pushing. Nobody just decides to start running and then automatically does it with no problems of feeling out of breath.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Jog more slowly. Even if you feel ridiculous, jog as slowly as you can and, and the speed will work up once you build the endurance.
  • Babymomakell
    Babymomakell Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    My "trick" is to start slow, start at 1 for a min, then go to 2, then to 3, just stop when you feel you are at a pace you can maintain for awhile, if you get short of breath slow your pace down, the key is to push yourself but not to hurt yourself, so if you are getting out of breath then your body may not be ready for the pace. Start slower and work your way up to it, running is based on endurance.
  • jodycoady
    jodycoady Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Tell me how to be able to breath better! After I jog for a minute or a minute and half on 4.5 I need to walk because I feel like I am out of breath. What is the secret to having more lung power for jogging?

Your body is not used to it yet, but over time it will!

It's okay..... it will get better and you will be able to go longer....DO NOT push your self at first, you could faint! WATER WATER WATER.....

And good for you!!!! Keep it up, your heart will thank you for it. Pretty soon you will will posting about "runner's high" :bigsmile:
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I agree with all the previous postings. It's probably just because you're new to it. Keep doing those intervals (they're good for fat burning anyway) and eventually you'll be able to increase your time. Timing your breathing with your steps helps a lot too. I usually do a breath intake for every two foot falls (then breathe out for the next two), but sometimes it's three depending on my speed and stride.

Trust me, it'll happen with some practice and patience. I started out barely being able to do a minute at 4.3mph and this weekend I'll be running in my first 5k!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Being out of breath early into your jog means your cardiovascular endurance isn't where you want it to be yet. There are no tips and tricks that will help you breathe better, it is your heart's way of telling you that it can't distribute oxygen to the rest of your body at the pace you're going at.

I'm not sure if you are new to jogging or not, but I would not get discouraged. Your endurance will get better as time goes on.
  • sunshinedazed
    Options
    Jog more slowly. Even if you feel ridiculous, jog as slowly as you can and, and the speed will work up once you build the endurance.

THIS. I read an article that changed my life. I will have to look it up at home, but essentially the idea is that if you're winded, you're running too fast. Slow down. Even if you could walk faster than you're running/jogging. SLOW DOWN. As you start interval training you'll realize you can go longer and longer. Slowly increase your speed. When jogging you should be able to hold a conversation - if you can sing a song, you're going too slow. :D
  • momofJandA
    momofJandA Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    a little longer each time- so if you can go for a minute and a half now, push it to 2 minutes (you won't die I promise- it will be uncomfortable but you can do it) Do that for a couple of days than increase to 2.5 minutes, then 3 minutes- you get the picture

I don't actually run on a treadmill- I am a road runner but the idea is the same increase your endurance and you will run farther
  • ChristiH4000
    ChristiH4000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k is a great program. It starts you with more walking than running and gradually moves you up. I used to die after 90 seconds of jogging, now I die after 5 minutes. Slow and steady progress!
  • TheCats_Meow
    TheCats_Meow Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    1) Slow down. You can worry about increasing your speed later.

2) Breathe using your diaphragm. Basically, make sure it's your stomach, NOT YOUR CHEST, that's moving in and out. This is the best way to breath while running.

When someone shared tip #2 with me, it improved my breathing A LOT! Plus, it helps eliminate/reduce side cramps while running.

Good luck & good job!!! :smile:
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Count your steps and time your breathing...for example breathe in over 1-2-3 steps, breathe out over 1-2-3 steps. You can shorten or lengthen the step limit based on how out of breath you are. The Army taught me that. :)
    Interesting...I tend to get out of breath or cramp from not breathing right and will definitely try your technique...thanks for this tip :drinker:
  • soaps54
    soaps54 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I just started jogging on the treadmill a few weeks ago and thought I was going to die but like a lot of people said above, intervals help tremendously. Walk for a few minutes, jog for a few minutes - it'll help build your stamina.
  • lisaisso
    lisaisso Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    i agree with all the above..
    i have to constantly remind myself on the proper way for ME to breathe: right, left, INHALE. right, left, EXHALE. so in, in. out, out- that works for me
  • kmel2479
    kmel2479 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Couch 2 5K! It is basically what you are trying to do it sounds like. I just find it helpful to follow the guidelines of it because I want to push too hard, too fast which can make it more discouraging. You can do it!!
  • Sheenamarie7
    Sheenamarie7 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Agree with everyone who say's intervals. I just started trying to "jog" on the treadmill and it is a slow process. I walk at 3.6 for .10 of a mile than try to jog at 4.5-5.0 for .25 of a mile, loose my breath, slow back down to 3.5 and catch my breath. I really want to be able to run again like when I was 19 but it will take time. Be patient with yourself and keep pushing. It will get better. At least thats what I keep telling myself! :) Good luck and good for you for getting on and workin' it!