3 month NO Coffee experiment results...

Options

Replies

• jsuaccounting
    jsuaccounting Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your experiment with us. That is the beauty of myfitnesspal - it gives such a great opportunity to track your diet changes.
    I am currious how you measure your body fat.

PS. Some years ago, I went to drinking black coffee instead of cream and sugar. I dropped 5 pounds immediately.
  • tmoyer1209
    tmoyer1209 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    WOW! After reading this I can see a lot of the same "symptoms" in myelf (the cravings for junk food, the metal cage around my head, the fat increase, the stalled weight) after upping my coffee comsumption back to where it was prior to my weight loss journey. I was hoping the caffeine would suppress my appetite enough and give me the extra boost to get thru the day. I shall do an expiriment! Thank you so much OP for sharing your personal experience with us! :drinker: (the water toast shall now commence!!)
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I have a cup every morning but I've switched from a DD LARGE coffee with skim milk, splenda and a flavored syrup (and yes, I know that the flavored syrup cancels out everything else, that's why I switched!) to making my own at home (on the Keurig so I only have one cup) with sugar-free syrup and skim milk. I've lost 9 lbs. in 6 weeks so obviously the coffee is not killing me. However, the calorie count between those two drinks I described? The calorie count is cut in half, I can only imagine from dropping the syrup. And that's just for a regular coffee, start adding lots of stuff in and it really adds up!
  • Mompanda4
    Mompanda4 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • sunnyday789
    sunnyday789 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    this has been one of the strangest threads I have ever posted on. With zero actual correlation between coffee and body fat, the OP has apparently been able to convince several people to suddenly quit drinking coffee. kind of sad and kind of scary in a way. I guess this is why so many new companies are created every day selling a new weight loss pill or gimmick.

what is really strange is how so many people are saluting the thread as if it is the gospel truth. Very strange. I will continue to drink my coffee.

Agree, it's pretty bizarre.
    Maybe because people want to find a culprit for their weight issues and eliminating coffee (for some) might be easier than making other changes?
    Yes I realize some have sensitivities to caffeine, but several studies have shown that caffeine has many health benefits yet people want to believe this one experiment with n=1 and several uncontrolled variables along with questionable measurement methods.

To the OP, glad whatever you're doing is working for you.
  • LeanerBeef
    LeanerBeef Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    this has been one of the strangest threads I have ever posted on. With zero actual correlation between coffee and body fat, the OP has apparently been able to convince several people to suddenly quit drinking coffee. kind of sad and kind of scary in a way. I guess this is why so many new companies are created every day selling a new weight loss pill or gimmick.

what is really strange is how so many people are saluting the thread as if it is the gospel truth. Very strange. I will continue to drink my coffee.

Maybe because people want to find a culprit for their weight issues and eliminating coffee (for some) might be easier than making other changes?
    Yes I realize some have sensitivities to caffeine, but several studies have shown that caffeine has many health benefits yet people want to believe this one experiment with n=1 and several uncontrolled variables along with questionable measurement methods.

I'm onboard with you people....

What kind of coffee were/are you drinking? Do put donuts and candy bars directly in your coffee? Also, maybe I read this wrong but I'm pretty you said that you went from 47% body down to 31% in just over 2 months? Call me a skeptic but I'm not buying it......

The effect coffee has on people is debatable but coffee is my friend....
  • aplusgeek
    aplusgeek Posts: 49
    Options
    Why give up coffee at all. This makes me laugh.

Just drink coffee without sugar or sweetener with some skim milk. Super healthy and boosts metabolism. Not to mention that coffee has fibre which is another Health benefit.

Come on people, use common sense.
  • norabeth
    norabeth Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I will not give up foods I plan to eat the rest of my life(pizza coffee beer chocolate ice cream). Just monitoring the portions much better than I used to. I have my one cup(16 oz) coffee with my vanilla cafe bliss all natural creamer.
  • chicpeach
    chicpeach Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Results vary by user. I drink my coffee black. I have 4 or more cups daily and I'm just under 27% body fat, down from over 30%. There is nothing wrong with my appetite - I eat quite a bit more than most of my MFP pals, even the ones that burn 5 times the cals I do during their workouts. I am consistently losing weight as well.
  • aplusgeek
    aplusgeek Posts: 49
    Options

What kind of coffee were/are you drinking? Do put donuts and candy bars directly in your coffee? Also, maybe I read this wrong but I'm pretty you said that you went from 47% body down to 31% in just over 2 months? Call me a skeptic but I'm not buying it......

I'll believe that fat loss if half the cup of coffee is butter.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

I'll believe that fat loss if half the cup of coffee is butter.

First, let me say thanks for the well wishes and positive, intelligent remarks guys---that's cool--I truly appreciate it. :flowerforyou:

More important, let me share that I'm not selling anything nor do I have anything for you to "buy". I, just like YOU guys am on a journey--a weight loss journey, but actually for me, it's more than that...it's a new lifestyle and my journey involves what I've shared. I've simply shared my experiences for the past 3 months...sorry if that involves your coffee addictions, believe me...I was a coffee addict many, many many years for PROBABLY (NOT NECESSARILY...BUT PROBABLY) more years than some of you have been alive, and I totally understand where you are coming from--kinda like telling a junkie/person addicted to something or another how getting off of an addictive substance FOR ME or behavior touches nerves and can make one, ummmm, touchy or nasty. Let's not go there. When you say 'I'm not buying it' that is directly accusing me of being less than honest--that's not cool or correct/true. Who in the blue blazes am I to tell YOU, I'm not "buying" something you've shared about your journey? I'll tell you who I'd be...not a cool person (that's putting it mildly). So, let's be cool and not "attack" each other's
    experiences just because you can "see it, buy it, believe it or whatever.

Again, I've shared what I've experiences are for the past 3 months why you should take it personally is completely, ummmm, unnecessary and rather, ummm, rude (to say the least). I have NOT one time advocated, sold, insisted nor any such thing that people should give up coffee and it's rather, ummmmm, irresponsible and callous of you to post comments like I have. I have continually posted that what's good for some, may not be good for others, I've shared a multitude of times that we're all different and have gone above and beyond to express that this is MY experience(s).

Are you guys implying that I should NOT share my experiences because you don't agree or "buy it"...Come-on, that's not cool, wise or fair. To be upset, disgusted or annoyed that others would like to perhaps try not having coffee isn't their "not thinking" as you accuse, come-on that's not cool. We're in this thing together, our minds, bodies and souls are different--please let me ask you guys not to "bash" me, because of my experiences. Am I saying that you shouldn't post because you don't agree with me...NO WAY, some of you guys have expressed yourselves very kindly and expressed yourself and wished me well on my journey...that IS COOL...but to smart alecky post like you're God or the ALL KNOWING expert on coffee, weight-loss, body fat percentage is so not you, nor in the keeping of MFP. So post away--share your hearts and feelings...but don't bash me nor accuse me of trying to "sell stuff" or be a poor influence on folk when if you think about it...you're actually doing the same thing in your advocacy of coffee drinking--Think about that:glasses:

Lastly, let me say again...I think coffee has negatively/adversely affected my lifestyle and so what...just because you say it doesn't for you...doesn't mean it hasn't for me.

Let me know what you guys (who are asking foolish questions like did I put donuts, candy and butter, etc.) in my coffee...let me know what you think about what I've written here. I posted for good reasons--not for any other reasons, and I'd appreciate if you would acknowledge that and maybe apologize (for accusing me of not being honest, for trying to influence people to stop drinking coffee and for insinuating that if people don't think like you do about coffee--they are dumb/not thinking//crazy/ignorant or all of the above). If not, that's cool, I totally understand and it's all good rather you do or don't.:flowerforyou: Just thought I'd put it out there, ya know?
  • sunnyday789
    Options
    newlifestyle4

I don't think that I'm the one here being touchy or nasty.....but like you said let's not go there. I also have not taken anything you said personally.

This is how the forums work. You posted a success and attributed to a factor. It is perfectly reasonable for others on a forum to debate the causality of that success. You also attributed a lot of bad side effects to coffee, however there are a lot of studies which show coffee does have a lot of health benefits. So it's not unreasonable for others to comment and debate on whether or not coffee is bad for you. It's not unreasonable for me to advocate coffee drinking and if someone want to debate that with me that's great, maybe people will learn something. If I think someone posted something that isn't true I'll remark on it as well. Totally acceptable on the forums.

As I said earlier, I glad you found something that works for you
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    newlifestyle4

I don't think that I'm the one here being touchy or nasty.....but like you said let's not go there

This is how the forums work. You posted a success and attributed to a factor. It is perfectly reasonable for others on a forum to debate the causality of that success. You also attributed a lot of bad side effects to coffee, however there are a lot of studies which show coffee does have a lot of health benefits. So it's not unreasonable for others to comment and debate on whether or not coffee is bad for you.

You certainly are not the person I am referring to...the persons I am referring to I highlighted in my quotes. I agree with you 10,000%. It totally is perfectly reasonable and totally "cool" to debate the "causality" (I had to google that word :wink: ) totally...however, to outright suggest that I am trying to "convince" folk to give up coffee is objectionable to me, because I did no such thing and expressly said several time, this IS/WAS my personal experience(s) and that everyone is different and what's good for some may not be good for others--many times. I attributed the "bad side effects of coffee" not from some study...but from my own personal experiences for the past 3 months. I NEVER one time said coffee is bad for "you". I simply stated and shared the results for me, which just happened to be bad.

Again, I would NEVER not want anyone to not share how they feel about coffee, golf, swimming, whatevah...but to accuse me of trying to "sell" stuff to folk and to go on further to imply that my experiences was liken to folk who scam others with weight-loss products ect. is hitting below the belt and goes beyond " debate the "causality" and directed attacks my motives, experiences and is just plain wrong. Also, to say that one doesn't "buy" my body fat percentage loss is directly accusing me of quite frankly and rudely and wrongly lying. That's not cool and again, goes beyond debate to personal attacks and aint cool, period.Then to go on and self-righteously and falsely accuse those who said they may try giving up coffee for a while or forever or whatever, to talk down to them, as if they were "not thinking" or dumb/foolish/ignorance/ect. (NOTE: dumb/foolish/ignorance/ect these are my words--NOT the person accusing me or others of rank stuff and are/is my impressions/interpretation of what they meant when they said "THINK" to others as he put were "cheering" and thinking about trying getting off of coffee, ect. ) is so ugly and not cool. Which is why I asked for an apology. Fat chance I'll get one...but whatevah, it's okay.

Thank you so much for posting and helping me to see this from another perspective though, I really very much appreciate the time and concern you took to post and it means a lot to me:flowerforyou:
  • michellesisreed
    michellesisreed Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have been drinking coffee for years and yes I believe it has contributed to my weight. I gave it up once .....well for one day.....so not sure that would count as eliminating from my diet. I have 30-pounds to lose and the excuse "trying to lose the baby weight" probably doesn't fly anymore considering my child is now two.

I believe there is no right answer for anyone for some it does contribute to weight gain "with" or "without" cream. Many experts believe that caffeine increases levels of cortisol that lead to stronger cravings for fat and carbohydrates, and cause the body to store fat in the abdomen. For some caffeine may act as a metabolism booster. I think (and by no means am I an expert) try it and see if it works I know I will try anything at this stage.

and a note to the author of this blog you are a fine writer your very witty and you managed to hold my attention which speaks volumes.
  • pfarley68
    pfarley68 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Very interesting. I typically have one cup of coffee a day with the flavored creamer. I have been considering cutting it out. I may have to do a little research now that I've read your post.
  • sunnyday789
    Options
    newlifestyle4

I don't think that I'm the one here being touchy or nasty.....but like you said let's not go there

This is how the forums work. You posted a success and attributed to a factor. It is perfectly reasonable for others on a forum to debate the causality of that success. You also attributed a lot of bad side effects to coffee, however there are a lot of studies which show coffee does have a lot of health benefits. So it's not unreasonable for others to comment and debate on whether or not coffee is bad for you.

You certainly are not the person I am referring to...the persons I am referring to I highlighted in my quotes. I agree with you 10,000%. It totally is perfectly reasonable and totally "cool" to debate the "causality" (I had to google that word :wink: ) totally...however, to outright suggest that I am trying to "convince" folk to give up coffee is objectionable to me, because I did no such thing and expressly said several time, this IS/WAS my personal experience(s) and that everyone is different and what's good for some may not be good for others--many times. I attributed the "bad side effects of coffee" not from some study...but from my own personal experiences for the past 3 months. I NEVER one time said coffee is bad for "you". I simply stated and shared the results for me.

Again, I would NEVER not want anyone to not share how they feel about coffee, golf, swimming, whatevah...but to accuse me of trying to "sell" stuff to folk and to go on further to imply that my experiences was liken to folk who scam others with weight-loss products ect. is hitting below the belt and goes beyond " debate the "causality" and directed attacks my motives, experiences and is just plain wrong. Also, to say that one doesn't "buy" my body fat percentage loss is directly accusing me of quite frankly and rudely and wrongly lying. That's not cool and again, goes beyond debate to personal attacks and aint cool, period. Which is why I asked for an apology. Fat chance I'll get one...but whatevah, it's okay.

Thank you so much for posting and helping me to see this from another perspective thought, I really appreciate it a lot and it means a lot to me:flowerforyou:

My post was in the copied posts so I felt that you were referring to my post as well.

If you read the posts, I and the poster I was replying to were not saying that you were the one trying to convince people to quit coffee, rather that we were surprised that others were convinced by your experience. A subtle but significant difference.
    IMO you had put it out there as your experience only and not as a scientific fact.

In regards to the % body fat loss, I don't think that people thought you were lying about your weight loss (the change in sizes and scale are proof that you lost weight) however that you could be mistaken (but not lying) about the body fat % numbers. As someone pointed out those scales are inaccurate, so even thought you got a consistent number, the measurement device is not reliable. I'm not a expert in body fat % but I think it's a fairly complicated formula.

Anyway, thanks for your reply and have a good night.
    Congratulations on your weight loss and improved health.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    newlifestyle4

You certainly are not the person I am referring to...the persons I am referring to I highlighted in my quotes. I agree with you 10,000%. It totally is perfectly reasonable and totally "cool" to debate the "causality" (I had to google that word :wink: ) totally...however, to outright suggest that I am trying to "convince" folk to give up coffee is objectionable to me, because I did no such thing and expressly said several time, this IS/WAS my personal experience(s) and that everyone is different and what's good for some may not be good for others--many times. I attributed the "bad side effects of coffee" not from some study...but from my own personal experiences for the past 3 months. I NEVER one time said coffee is bad for "you". I simply stated and shared the results for me.

Again, I would NEVER not want anyone to not share how they feel about coffee, golf, swimming, whatevah...but to accuse me of trying to "sell" stuff to folk and to go on further to imply that my experiences was liken to folk who scam others with weight-loss products ect. is hitting below the belt and goes beyond " debate the "causality" and directed attacks my motives, experiences and is just plain wrong. Also, to say that one doesn't "buy" my body fat percentage loss is directly accusing me of quite frankly and rudely and wrongly lying. That's not cool and again, goes beyond debate to personal attacks and aint cool, period. Which is why I asked for an apology. Fat chance I'll get one...but whatevah, it's okay.

Thank you so much for posting and helping me to see this from another perspective thought, I really appreciate it a lot and it means a lot to me:flowerforyou:

My post was in the copied posts so I felt that you were referring to my post a well.

If you read the posts, I and the poster I was replying to were not saying that you were the one trying two convince people to quit coffee, rather that we were surprised that others were convinced by your experience. A subtle but significant difference.
    IMO you had put it out there as your experience only and not as a scientific fact.

In regards to the % body fat loss, I don't think that people thought you were lying about your weight loss (the change in sizes and scale are proof that you lost weight) however that you could be mistaken (but not lying) about the body fat % numbers. As someone pointed out those scales are inaccurate, so even thought you got a consistent number, the measurement device is not reliable. I'm not a expert in body fat % but I think it's a fairly complicated formula.

Anyway, thanks for your reply and have a good night.
    Congratulations on your weight loss and improved health.

You're very welcomed and oops...sorry, I didn't realize your post was in there. I did know that two terrific people stated their opinions and very kindly and intelligently (even though you guys weren't agreeing with me..I NEVER exclusively want folk to agree with me in conversations--I can't learn anything that way, but when disagreeing to respectfully disagree, ya know--still your posts were classy and cool) and your post was definitely one of "cool" ones for sure. So, it's late and it's been a blast and once again, thank you so much for posting and pleasant dreams to you too :flowerforyou:
  • Cmonnowguys
    Cmonnowguys Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I don't like it when people blame coffee for their sugar and cream problems.

Nail on the head. LOL.
  • kikilareggae
    kikilareggae Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting! I drink a lot of soda and have been contemplating going off soda for good. But I'm super addicted and love it so much! It's the one thing i have a hard time completely letting go of.
  • Contrary03
    Contrary03 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    This is such a problem for me as well!... LOVE my coffee hot or iced- with cream & sugar! Have tried a couple of times to give it up, infact just this past week i thought i'd take baby steps and switch to non-fat half & half w/ no cal sweetner. I lasted a few days, and already slipped back! So hard:sad:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!