Women Weight Lifter

Options
Sanvita58
Sanvita58 Posts: 122 Member
Hello All,
I am happy with my body except my tummy and I know we cant spot reduce. I have seen lot of friends here suggesting lifting weight to reduce fat. I dont want to look like a body builder but want to tone myself. Could you please tell me some light lifting (what type and how many repetitions) which can help me reduce fat at the same time doesnt make me look bulky with muscles....Thank you all in advance.

Replies

• Sanvita58
    Sanvita58 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    No one :(
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    It's hard for women to get bulky without serious effort - lots of training, not eating at a deficit, and steroids. Look into programs like Stronglifts 5x5, Starting Strength, NROLFW, etc.
  • moochachip
    moochachip Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    What was said: You won't become bulky in weight lifting unless you start taking steroids.

Also, you can build muscle, but nothing will show unless you burn fat as well. A good balance of both strength and cardio exercise is the key to a strong body.

I recommend reading New Rules of Lifting for Women. I have been doing it since January, and have noticed quite a difference not only in the clothing I wear, but my attitude as well.
  • jayb33z
    jayb33z Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    lift weights lift heavy. Google Jamie Eason. she weight lifts and looks sensational. you're gonna have to supplement with anabolics to get that "bodybuilder" look.
  • Jlew64
    Jlew64 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Low weights, high reps....
  • docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Shake weight and an AbHancer.

But seriously, "light" lifting does nothing but waste your time.
  • Anomalia
    Anomalia Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I don't lift heavy because I don't like what it does to my appearance. Through trial and error I have discovered that body weight exercises work best for me.
  • jenniejengin
    jenniejengin Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    interested to know
  • kazzari
    kazzari Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    It's hard for women to get bulky without serious effort - lots of training, not eating at a deficit, and steroids. Look into programs like Stronglifts 5x5, Starting Strength, NROLFW, etc.

Another one I haven't seen mentioned, comparable to The New Rules of Lifting for Women (by the way, while the book is woman friendly, the exercises are not women specific), is The Female Body Breakthrough by Alwyn Cosgrove's wife, Rachel. Since they both run the same facility, there are a lot a similarities, but different enough for variety. I, along with several other women who were new to lifting, worked our way through the original New Rules of Lifting long before NROL4W came out. There is also NROL4Abs and the newly released NROL 4 Life. They are all awesome and guarantee body transforming results. It worked for me.
  • realrayne10
    realrayne10 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Low weights, high reps....

^^ The opposite of that.

Look into New Rules on Lifting. It has done wonders for me.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    Agree with everyone here, lifting heavy weights will NOT make you bulky unless you're starting to take steroids along with a bodybuilding program. I like how heavy weight lifting does to my body, I can now do 8 pull-ups, 120 puships, lift barbells, dumbbells that weigh more than half of my body weight but I don't look bulky & in fact many people in the gym see me as just a regular gal until they see me rocking the pull-up bar & free weights area.

You need to have low levels of body fat (mid to high teens) along with muscular development to actually see a muscle definition.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    People transform a lot with lifting heavy weights. To look like a body builder, you have to be predisposed to building a lot of muscle or supplement withe steroids (and a hearty diet). This also takes a lot of time. Oh and you have to get rid of a lot of body fat too.

But some people don't end up looking the way they want by lifting heavy weights (people who build muscle quickly/easily). Since lifting heavy (heavy for you) is the quickest path to see results, start there if you can. If you don't like your results after a little while, switch it up to body weight workouts or lighter weight ones.

Personally, I have found that adding weights has helped me in unexpected ways. I used to look like a super-pear. Now I am looking a lot more hourglass. My bust and hips are almost even, and my shoulders are a little wider to balance things out. My arms are firming up too. (I am genetically predisposed to have big arms......and narrow shoulders. What kinda combo is that)

I also tend to build leg muscle easily, so I keep the weight lower on my lower body. I have big solid thighs. Always have. Don't want to add any inches there. ;)