Arctic Zero - I don't get it

Options
Jacwhite22
Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
So I've heard people rave about this for a while and wondered what it was all about.......i saw it at the store tonight and picked one up. It is in the frozen food section......and it is in fact frozen......but IMO that's where the similarities to ice cream stop.........it's a very bland taste and it's not overly creamy......I mean i get that it's low in calorie but to me it's not very satisfying.....I would rather save the calories and have real ice cream.......Then again I am not anywhere near the 1200-1400 calorie range for a day......If I was i might suck it up and eat this stuff regularly.....So....>Who eats this stuff? How many calories do you eat per day? Do you actually like it? Does it satisfy any craving?

Replies

• sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    no. it's awful.
  • terri0527
    terri0527 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I've never even heard of it :ohwell:
  • Shfiftyfive
    Shfiftyfive Posts: 261
    Options
    It's alright. I never have it if I'm doing anything afterward (chicory root is all I'm going to say). It's obviously not ice cream, but I can't just eat 1/2 cup of ice cream very often without wanting more, so it's a decent substitute some days.
  • wiglett
    wiglett Posts: 53
    Options
    I tried to eat, I even pretended to enjoy it. . i threw it out. :-p
  • onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of it.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    it's basically fake type ice cream that's 150 cals / pint.
  • OMGLeigh
    OMGLeigh Posts: 236
    Options
    I eat the chocolate mint and the chocolate peanut butter flavors. I've also tried the Cookie one and the Strawberry one, those were pretty bad.
    I thaw it in the microwave on a low setting for a short period of time. It tends to be too frozen otherwise.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I eat it sometimes, but I definitely prefer real ice cream or frozen yogurt.
  • onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    it's basically fake type ice cream that's 150 cals / pint.

Like skinny cow? I don't like their uncreamy ice cream either.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Meh I've had it, if I want a lower cal option I'd go Edy's slow churned
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I don't think you can get it in Australia - which suits me fine because I wouldn't eat it anyway.

It seems to me like a great exercise in marketing and illogical thinking - they are encouraging you to eat an unrealistic portion size (who needs a pint? You might want it, but that's different!) of an artificially low calorie product that is masquerading as icecream.

Personally I'd rather buy real icecream (like the tub of Weis Homestyle Caramel Icecream with Butterscotch Brickle I have in my freezer) and practice eating just one serve at a time. This is going to be a much more useful strategy for the long term and I enjoy every one of those 140 calories for 60 grams.

Unlike Skinny Cow - which tastes horrible, even if it is lower in calorie, it just doesn't taste good, so what's the point!
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Hahaha I eat it sometimes. I eat 1,560 calories, plus some exercise cals back (although I haven't exercised in way too long lol). I don't usually eat a lot of sugary stuff, so the taste isn't bad for me, but if you're used to things being really sweet then it's definitely not for you. As for the texture...eh it's kinda ice cream like if you let it set for 10-15 minutes before eating it, but it's not near as creamy as ice cream.

Edit: it's kinda nice when I want something semi sweet and cold and they have around 8 grams of fiber and 14 grams of protein per pint, so IMO it's a healthier choice than some ice cream
  • kelliekait
    kelliekait Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I actually really enjoy it. I'm eating a half cup of it as we speak :) I eat 1200 cals a day so you were right, I don't exactly have room in my cals for regular ice cream, and obviously if you compare it to real ice cream it will lose every time. If you don't try and compare it to ice cream, but something all it's own, i think it's very enjoyable as a sweet frozen treat for very little calories
  • kenny_johnson
    kenny_johnson Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I like Skinny Cow. Is Arctic Zero similar?
  • kelliekait
    kelliekait Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I like Skinny Cow. Is Arctic Zero similar?

I would definitely as that the taste of the two are comparable. If you like skinny cow, I don't see what you wouldn't like about arctic zero. The only trouble is that sometimes it can be difficult to find...definitely more difficult than skinny cow.
  • NaeNaeJanae
    NaeNaeJanae Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Seriously?? I'm sooo willing to run that extra few miles to enjoy REAL Ice cream!!! So much more worth it! :)
  • imthelobster
    imthelobster Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I LOVE the Vanilla Maple flavor.

A couple of the others are pretty decent too... the coffee one is going to get thrown out for me, though.

There isn't any comparing to real ice cream, but it's nice to have when I'm just craving that slightly sweet fix but don't want the overly sweet taste of ice cream. Or the sometimes belly-ache that I get afterwards (mildly lactose intolerant).
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    If I REALLY want a low cal frozen treat, I'd rather have a 'real fruit' Popsicle instead.
  • RestartThisRight
    Options
    I LOVE the Vanilla Maple flavor.

I was going to say this. I LOVE THIS FLAVOR. Chocolate peanut butter is okay, strawberry is awful!
  • babygurl48
    babygurl48 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    never heard of it.