Struggling with...

Options
PIZZA! Oh my goodness. I have been craving it like NUTS these past few weeks. And henceforth, I've been eating tons of it. And, I can't seem to shake the sweets craving after a meal of any kind. Anyone have any advice or insight?? I could really use it!

Replies

• kenny_johnson
    kenny_johnson Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Make your own. A pizza can be pretty healthy. Whole wheat dough, tomato sauce, low fat cheese, lean meat.
  • kimdwl
    kimdwl Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Why not make your own pizza?
    We do a pizza night every few weeks and i make ours on home made tortillas, they come in nice and low cal and so yummy.

For the sweets craving why not have a little healthy sweet snack?
    Some fruit or a diet ice cream or pudding?
    I have a freezer full of home made low cal snack bars etc, i just pull one out when i get a sweet craving.

Or save a few cal from the day and have one piece of really good chocolate after your meal?
  • Swopkin
    Swopkin Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I make my own little pizzas with half pitta breads that I put in the oven for 10 minutes and later I add the tomato sauce and the vegetables. De-li-cious!
  • kimmywodrich
    kimmywodrich Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    These are fabulous ideas, really... I never realized I could easily make a pizza from tortilla! Pita sounds great too, and when I have the time, making the whole grain crust. I remember Papa John's used to have whole grain pizza, and I was so upset when they took it away.
    And with the sweets, I've never seen a diet ice cream! Who makes it?? I'll definitely be looking into this. Thank you!!
  • kenny_johnson
    kenny_johnson Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    These are fabulous ideas, really... I never realized I could easily make a pizza from tortilla! Pita sounds great too, and when I have the time, making the whole grain crust. I remember Papa John's used to have whole grain pizza, and I was so upset when they took it away.
    And with the sweets, I've never seen a diet ice cream! Who makes it?? I'll definitely be looking into this. Thank you!!

Check out the brand Skinny Cow.
  • dup32
    dup32 Posts: 68
    Options

Check out the brand Skinny Cow.
  • dup32
    dup32 Posts: 68
    Options
    Sorry guys I think I hit the wrong button...oops
    I was responding to the "diet" ice cream...
    Kemps makes a no fat no sugar added frozen yogurt and there is also one called Carb sensation... IMO both are very good
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    if you look at my food log i had pizza today... what to do when you eat pizza and not suffer fat gain is to try to fit it into my food macronutrient ratios. so since pizza is very carbohydrate dense and fat dense compared to the protein (even tho i had pizza with meat on it) what i had to do to adjust my diet is basically eat lean protein foods for the rest of the day such as tuna and i went over on carbs so i had to stick with green leaft vegetables.

now i still went over on my daily caloric needs, but i minimized the damage by continuing to try to hit macro goals thru the day...i am starting to become very strict when it comes to my dieting but hey, cant say no to free pizza!!
  • harleykat64
    harleykat64 Posts: 70
    Options
    I also have a horrible sweet tooth after dinner every night, my current cheater dessert that makes me feel like I got something special is a 1/2 cup of jello topped with 2 tbsp of cool whip. I mix it into the jello and it gives me a flavorful dessert that feels high in fat.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Two options as far as I see it. One would be to treat it as a spike day, go a bit under your calorie goal for the rest of the week, then have one day when you eat pizza and other thinks you like (within a little moderation of course).

The other is to (as Monty said) fit it into your macros for the day. An eggwhite based breakfast and protein rich lunch (think chicken or tuna with salad), then go for it. I find that pre-logging helps with doing it this way too. Know how much pizza you can have before you start. Getting a really good calorie burn in that day will help a lot too.

I love home made pizzas and that'll satisfy the craving for me, but don't do something that is a poor immitation, if you are really craving it then have the real thing or something you will really enjoy - otherwise you will feel unsatisfied and will most likely still crave the proper stuff.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    1 word

Kashi!

1/2 pizza is about 350cals!

PS:
    Pizza is the best cheat food to break a plateau.

Just sayin.
  • bashmir
    bashmir Posts: 43
    Options
    I love pizza as well I have been craving it for a while now. These are some good ideas that I will also be using. As for something sweet I love apple pie. I buy apple cinnamon Kellog's nutri grain breakfast bars they are so good and taste just like apple pie. The best part of it is they only have 120 calories for one whole bar.
  • PulchritudinousLady
    PulchritudinousLady Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Sweet craving: Silk's chocolate soy milk is OMG-fabulous! I drink a cup after working out and enjoy every sip. It really meets my need for chocolate without the guilt. Skinny Cow's ice cream bars and sandwiches are also fabulous.

Pizza craving: MFP folks really step up with a lot of great alternatives -- awesome! Here's my 2-cents -- pizza is a hurdle I used to control (back when I was a stick) by my innate disgust with pizza sauce. Over the last 5 years I gradually overcame my hatred by a sort of self-hypnosis -- a natural thing when overcoming any weird dislike. "This isn't that bad; the sauce is so rich and creamy; the texture adds moisture to each bite" etc. Pretty soon I was eating it like a frat boy.

Lately, I've been doing the reverse. I tell myself things like, "Pizza is a greasy mess." "Why would I ever let that greasy, sticky goop into my body???" I find all the things I used to hate about pizza and magnify it. It's odd, but my craving has been curbed greatly (and I REALLY liked pizza). Bob Harper from Biggest Loser told his team the same thing in one episode -- if you start looking at the food that's bad for you as toxic or over-processed and fake, tasteless, or sickening, then it becomes just that.

Good luck to you. My weakness is still chocolate but, thankfully, there a lot of good substitutes for all our cravings. :)
  • bunny1006
    bunny1006 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    bump

sweets
  • realrayne10
    realrayne10 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Try cutting down on your sodium. I find that I crave sweets on extra salty days.
  • cppeace
    cppeace Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    tcby has released great frozen yogurt cartons :) cookies and cream supreme is amazing
  • xoEmmyBxo
    xoEmmyBxo Posts: 10
    Options
    When I want something sweet I find pineapple hits the spot!
  • ellycope
    ellycope Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I can't really help with the pizza craving aspect because I like it but don't love it so can stop at a couple of slices. However, sweet things are my weakness, especially after dinner! My favourites are:
    1 meringue nest with 50g 0% fat greek yogurt and 40g frozen raspberries (microwave the raspberries on high for about 20 seconds to defrost them). This comes in at under 100 calories but really hits the spot.
    Or, my other current favourite is a couple of Ryvita with chocolate Philadelphia on them - more calories but so crunchy and chocolatey!
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid I can't be much help. I've been useless at fighting my cravings lately.
    All I can really recommend is to find healthy alternatives that fulfill your cravings, or eat a smaller portion of what you're craving.
  • alexsmith01
    alexsmith01 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Make your own. A pizza can be pretty healthy. Whole wheat dough, tomato sauce, low fat cheese, lean meat.
    Agreed, I make mine on a tortilla, and I won't lie, it's not the same, but it's the toppings more than the base that I'm after so it fixes my cravings :) It goes nice and crispy too nom nom nom