Help me stop snacking!

Options
Hi everyone! Does anybody have any advice on how to break the habit of compulsive snacking? Anybody have any pointers?

Replies

• Hjbaker
    Hjbaker Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    cliche' I know, but when you think "hmmm I'm hungry" have a glass of water, then if you are still not over it, chew gum... or just listen to your body and eat (something healthy)
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Eat full, satisfying, nutritionally balanced meals. Drink lots of water between meals. Do a reality check on your diet and figure out what you're missing- vitamins, minerals etc- and replace what's lacking. If you get what you need in your diet, then snacking is nothing more than a bad habit that you can use behavior modification techniques to address.
  • desert_rhino
    desert_rhino Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! Does anybody have any advice on how to break the habit of compulsive snacking? Anybody have any pointers?

Yes. Track everything. Use the MFP site or apps to keep track of what you eat. Make yourself accountable, and you can succeed!

Also, get all the "bad" snacks out of the house/apartment. If they're just not there, you just can't eat them.

And, as noted above, many times when you "feel hungry," you're actually THIRSTY.
  • kari574
    kari574 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above posters. I am a snacker also though. I have a desk job and get bored, so I snack on things. I end up eating about 8 times a day, but very few calories each time.
  • zen_mama
    zen_mama Posts: 51
    Options
    eat an apple! So very healthy for you plus it has fiber which helps you feel full and it's sweet. If I need to bump my calories, I eat my apple with natural unsalted peanut butter or some low fat cheddar
  • Hjbaker
    Hjbaker Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Just reading this is making me want a snack... how bad is that?!?!
  • sortin
    sortin Posts: 78
    Options
    Drink water. I keep a cup of water at my desk at home when I'm on the computer. I try to reach for it before I get up to go get something to snack on.

If I do decide water isn't enough, I log what I intend to snack on before I even get up. Seeing the calories staring back at me just might make me snack a little lighter.

If you do snack, log it. Re-assess it later if you've gone over for the day, and plan ahead with healthier snacks for the next craving.

If you went over, remember that it's not the end of the world, you had many, MANY consecutive days of going over your limit that you weren't even paying attention to before. One more day now is like having started a day later. You'll live.
  • missa0208
    missa0208 Posts: 25
    Options
    bump
  • Smead3369
    Smead3369 Posts: 32
    Options
    Personally, I chew gum and drink a lot of fluids. I am an iced tea person more than water but trying to change that. I know if I don't eat a filling meal at meal time, I am a goner and will snack. If I eat a good meal and then stay busy (either with activity or gum chewing) I do better.

GOOD LUCK!
  • blueiiidCorissa
    Options
    I'm a compulsive snacker also....I use gum. There are so many sugar free flavors and it's usually only 5 cals. It helps me a lot. Good luck. :)
  • allifantastical
    allifantastical Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    I almost just made a serious mistake by snacking. Late at night that is all I want to do. I'm not even really hungry, I think it is more boredom.

Instead of getting in the fridge, I went upstairs and started playing on my computer. That way, there is as much space as possible between me and the fridge and I can keep my mind busy with talking about it on MFP.

I feel like the more vocal I am that I want to snack, the less I want to do it because other people know about it. Also, if I read a success story when I have a craving, it tends to put it in check.