Pickles

Options
Just had one as a snack and when I went to log it found out there are 0 calories in it. Some sodium is the only thing that shows up on the nutrition label.

I loved pickles before but now I know what to go for when I get a little munchy.

Replies

• HeHealsMe
    HeHealsMe Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Yep! Pickles..not as yummy as chocolate, but sometimes ya just have to sacrifice. But, they do have the crunch factor, and as long as the sodium content is not too high, they are ok in my book!
  • paulasue145
    paulasue145 Posts: 157
    Options
    Pickles are Awesome!
    Moby Dills!!!! :smile:
  • BR1TTNIE
    BR1TTNIE Posts: 11
    Options
    Hi!

Yup they are a yummy snack and 0 cals, but the only thing is that they contain sodium. You really have to watch how much sodium you take in weather its from pickles to sodas! Sodium makes your body retain water. That can be really irritating when the scale is going up instead of down. B6 helps with flushing sodium, so if your taking in quite a bit, you may wanna look into it.

Good Luck!

-Britt.
  • mrkennethjay
    Options
    Good to know!
  • fluffymcfluffster
    fluffymcfluffster Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Random note -
    I CRAVE pickles and I am not pregnant. I have craved them for years. I LOVE the smell of them and the look of the crunchiness but HATE the vinegar taste. I try them regularly as I have found the older I get, my taste buds change... Not for them yet though...

Enjoy for me!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    You know they don't actually contain 0 calories? Your labelling laws allow manufacturers to state "0 cals" if there is a low number (under 5 maybe?).

Of course, if you are only eating 1 or 2 it really doesnt matter, but I remember reading a post from someone who ate a whole jar - they would start to add up at that rate!

But hey, they are definitely a low cal snack and if sodium isn't an issue for you, they're a pretty good choice.
  • alukima
    alukima Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Why would Pickles have zero calories if cucumbers have 8? Aren't they just cucumbers in vinegar? Still not a huge number, just curious.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Why would Pickles have zero calories if cucumbers have 8? Aren't they just cucumbers in vinegar? Still not a huge number, just curious.

Labelling law loopholes!
  • DarthH8
    DarthH8 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Haha ya dude I totally keep a jar of pickles in the fridge. And I'm totally hungry gonna go grab one for a midnight snack :-D
  • 1Kristine1
    1Kristine1 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    I also had a pickle today, then I glanced at the label. Over 500mg of sodium in that one little pickle. Thats so terrible.
    So unfortunately, no more pickles for me, I dont want heart failure.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I really prefer the sweet ones :p
  • BR1TTNIE
    BR1TTNIE Posts: 11
    Options
    I also had a pickle today, then I glanced at the label. Over 500mg of sodium in that one little pickle. Thats so terrible.
    So unfortunately, no more pickles for me, I dont want heart failure.

Exactly. There are a lot of low cal foods and diet products that can actually be bad for you.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    You know they don't actually contain 0 calories? Your labelling laws allow manufacturers to state "0 cals" if there is a low number (under 5 maybe?).

Of course, if you are only eating 1 or 2 it really doesnt matter, but I remember reading a post from someone who ate a whole jar - they would start to add up at that rate!

But hey, they are definitely a low cal snack and if sodium isn't an issue for you, they're a pretty good choice.

Hahaha I am not the sodium police, but pickles might actually be 0 calories if you eat the whole jar....because that much sodium will act as a laxative!
  • ajhr
    ajhr Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I find olives and artichoke hearts will satisfy a similar craving. As long as they're not in oil, they're very low calorie. The strong flavour means I'm content after just a few - same with pickles - and I don't want to eat any more.
    But again, watch the sodium content :)