Protein Shakes and Bars! Question?

Options
Hey! This might sound like a silly question(s)... but protein shakes and bars won't make me bulk up over time, will they?
Also, would it be a bad idea to eat a (muscle milk) protein bar after having a protein shake earlier that day?

I work out every day.
I just don't want to get a masculine build! Haha.. So I had to ask.

Replies

• sabotai
    sabotai Posts: 25
    Options
    They are fine, protein heals and is very smart for after workouts. It would only bulk you up if you ate a lot with it and did heavy lifting and needed it for muscle healing. I actually started losing more weight when I started using protein after my workouts.
  • raayfrancy
    raayfrancy Posts: 100
    Options
    They are fine, protein heals and is very smart for after workouts. It would only bulk you up if you ate a lot with it and did heavy lifting and needed it for muscle healing. I actually started losing more weight when I started using protein after my workouts.

Ohhh! Makes sense. I eat/drink them as a meal, each, on its own. Thank you so much! (:
  • AFitJamie
    AFitJamie Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Women have to work very hard to build muscle and it is *very* unlikely that you would 'bulk up'. Particularly if you are here to lose weight, then you are eating at a calorie deficit. Your body isn't going to build any significant amount of muscle at all when you are eating at a deficit. You need to eat *excess* calories to add muscle mass in any amount. the body simply doesn't create excess muscle while eating at a deficit,

Supplements should be that - yes I use them, but they are not as good as the 'real thing' they should supplement your diet. Chicken is a great protein.

Also... I haven't researched this is years so I don't know the current view, but there was a concept floating around a few years ago that your body would burn fat better if it had a 'positive nitrogen balance' which was to mean you were taking in enough protein... That may all be 'bioscience' now, but I find eating more protein helps me... However, I suspect it has more to do with protein being filling and thus I consume fewer overall calories I think...