Calories

Options
How do I work out how many calories I should allow myself to eat per day? To loose weight...

Replies

• Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    MFP automatically calculates it for you. Just choose how many pounds a week you want to lose. I recommend 1lb a week unless you're very overweight. You can get to it by going to "Goals" and "Change Goals".
  • hailzp
    hailzp Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/538381-in-place-of-a-road-map

Or just go by what MFP puts you as. If you type in your current weight, then goal weight and then how much you want to lose in a week e.g 1lb and it will give you a number to eat :) Some people go by the above link and others don't, the trick is to find out what suits you best :)
  • KaitlynH29
    KaitlynH29 Posts: 4
    Options
    but if you're working out that subtracts from your calories, so should you be eating more to make up for that so you total calorie intake is your targeted goal>
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    How do I work out how many calories I should allow myself to eat per day? To loose weight...

based on your loss goals....
    75 + to lose - 2lbs
    50-75 to lose - 1.5lbs
    25-50 to lose - 1-1.5lbs
    15-25 to lose - 1lbs
    0-10 to lose - 0.5lbs

Choose your goal from the above based on what you need to lose and MFP will work out calories for you. Eat to your goal including eating back any exercise cals and you should lose the amount you selected as your goal.
    Trying to lose more than you should usually backfires as your metabolism will slow down due to being underfuelled, and you will then find it harder to lose. Slow loss may be frustrating but you are much more likely to keep it off long term and be healthy.
  • KaitlynH29
    KaitlynH29 Posts: 4
    Options
    [/quote]

based on your loss goals....
    75 + to lose - 2lbs
    50-75 to lose - 1.5lbs
    25-50 to lose - 1-1.5lbs
    15-25 to lose - 1lbs
    0-10 to lose - 0.5lbs

Choose your goal from the above based on what you need to lose and MFP will work out calories for you. Eat to your goal including eating back any exercise cals and you should lose the amount you selected as your goal.
    Trying to lose more than you should usually backfires as your metabolism will slow down due to being underfuelled, and you will then find it harder to lose. Slow loss may be frustrating but you are much more likely to keep it off long term and be healthy.
    [/quote]

Thank you thats really helpful, I have been feeling super hungry because i would eat my goal calories and work out and not eat more because i thought that you weren't supposed to go over. and my weight has been going back and forth between 132-137 for as long as i can remember.
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    hopefully you will get results now you know whats gone wrong!!!
    If you think of food as fuel and your body as a car, if you try to drive 100 miles on 50 miles worth of gas, its not going to work! Now if you put in the right amount for how far you want to go it will work perfectly :-)

If you increase cals, you may get a small gain at first ( i got 0.8 going from 1200 net to 1650 net), but then the loss should start.