Effects of protein powders

Options
Hey all!! I noticed a lot of you are adding protein powders to your diet. How is it working for you? Has it boosted your muscle development and fatloss? I'd love to hear your reviews!

I'm asking because on almost any exercise or weightloss site protein shakes are recommended but I'm a bit hesitant because it is expensive and there are loads of foods with protein in it anyway. I'm almost at my target weight but would like to shift more fat into muscle and wanted to find out what protein powders can do for you. I do bodyrockers everyday, ride my bicycle and walk a lot. I'm interested in your experiences, especially from females who are more focussed on toning than on fatloss. Thanks!

Replies

• Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Protein powders are not expensive. £ for £ (or $ for $ if you are across the pond) they work out MILES cheaper than 'real' foods.
  • Christina1007
    Christina1007 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Hey, I use Herbalife protein powders and although I only started 3 weeks ago, I can see my skin is in much better condition. Although I am losing very slow now, because I am taking in more muscle, I think my skin - no more cellulite on my bum- looks so much better for it.
    But yes, you are right, they are expensive. I pay £28 for about 3 weeks of shakes. People say it's not expensive, but when you also pay for gym membership and all that, it is quite.
  • damnititsme
    damnititsme Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    So, extra protein helps with muscle repair etc. Some weight loss and body building diets instruct you to eat 6 protein based meals a day. 6 steaks in a day? I couldn't do that, that's where protein shakes come in. Plus you can get ones with or without carbs dependant on you aims. I have found if I have one when my muscles ache the aches go away very quickly. If you are going to buy one buy quality, if it seems too good to be true price wise it probably is. Some of the cheaper brands are full of fillers, like chalk, to bulk them out. I use solgar, its good quality, and about the only quality one I can buy in shops near me. Also it is based on whey, ...hemp is really good (mannitoba) some people like natures plus, (tripart- rice, pea and soya). It really depend on your needs and preferences. I don't take mine every day, but you could if you wanted. Maybe get somecsample sachets to try before you buy?.
  • EmBlazes
    EmBlazes Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Hey, I use Herbalife protein powders and although I only started 3 weeks ago, I can see my skin is in much better condition. Although I am losing very slow now, because I am taking in more muscle, I think my skin - no more cellulite on my bum- looks so much better for it.
    But yes, you are right, they are expensive. I pay £28 for about 3 weeks of shakes. People say it's not expensive, but when you also pay for gym membership and all that, it is quite.

It's interesting that you also noticed your skin improved. I have no idea why protein powders/shakes cause this. Does anyone else?

The main reason I use them is to get a head start in losing weight again (short term) and because they have a lot of protein they seem to keep me full for hours. They are also handy when you travel or are very busy because it saves you from eating junk when you don't have a chance to eat a proper meal.

I also noticed that my recovery after lifting weights has improved - I'm no longer muscle sore for days after a workout.

As for the cost - I agree with Matt - less than "real" food - depends how much you are using them. I currently use MyProtein (UK) and they are pretty reasonably priced.
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I agree with Matt, per gram of Protein they work out cheaper than eggs and easily way, way cheaper than meat.

Where they can be expensive is if you buy a big tub of something that you can't stand the taste of, so, try out a few small tubs before you commit to a bigger (but per gram cheaper) tub.

Also remember that you can get your protein from your foods and therefore you may only need protein supplements occasionally.

As for fat loss and muscle growth: The biggest factor on weight loss is calories in versus calories out, get this right and you're on your way to weight loss. Exercise to promote muscle retention will help ensure that your loss is primarily fat rather than a significant % as muscle loss.

After that, getting enough protein will help retain your muscle (1g per lb of lean body mass is considered about right), but only eating in calorific SURPLUS (above your maintenance value) will lead to muscle growth (in 99% of the population).

Best wishes
  • jameehardey
    jameehardey Posts: 32
    Options
    ive been drinking an australian one called physique and i swear by it! its fantastic as a snack and fills you right up. the more muscle you have the more fat you burn. i think ive lost almost 10 percent of fat and i think its coz of the amount of protein i take in... and i wouldnt be taking so much of it in without a shake. i think they are good, but maybe you should just get one (i know alotof brands do sample sachets) and see how it works for you??
  • leatitiaa
    leatitiaa Posts: 17
    Options
    Thanks for your comments. I really haven't got a lot to spend at the moment, so I must choose wisely.... (am a fulltime student).

It is interesting that you also experience a lot of other benefits from adding the protein. Wouldn't have expected that and makes trying protein powder even more worthwile.

Didn't know that you have to eat at least your BMR to gain muscle. That puts things in a different perspective. I may need to focus on getting at my target weight first (about 6 weeks to go) and then start with the protein powder. What do you think?
  • Spooney45
    Spooney45 Posts: 76
    Options
    I have an issue with protein powders. The body uses natural protein (i.e from food) to use for fuel and cellular repair. The idea is that powders can be used as quick and easy extra. The problem is that to make protein into a powder it is 'denatured' (i.e broken to bits - not like it would be from food) by heating and freeze drying.. Denatured protein is not digestible by the body's enzymes as they are the wrong shape (it's called lock and key theory - the enzyme and protein only work together if the fit is exact). In the same way, a lot of the protein is produced as recombinant protein from bacteria. Bacteria are prokaryotic life forms and do not have the protein modification systems the eukaryotes (which we are) have to make the protein useful for us. So I don't understand how they are actually supposed to work. Also they are expensive especially with something like a gym membership on top. Plus, too much nucleic acid (i.e DNA - makes protein) causes gout.
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    You have to eat at maintanance or above to gain muscle which is WAY above BMR for most people, it is pretty much impossible to build muscle in a caloric deficit, you can just maintain what you already have.

Increasing protein will help improve your diet stragiht away, there is no need to wait until you get to goal weight - you should aim for 0.8g-1g per lb of lean body mass.
    I also use myprotein (uk), I couldnt get my intake in without them most days, in on 143g and thats a LOT of meat / eggs. They work out about 35p a serving which is 20g protein, the equivalent amount of protein from chicken is about 3 times the price.

I dont take them as a 'post workout' shake, more just to boost my protein intake in general, or as a healthy chocolate treat (mine have 1g carb/fat/sugar per serve). I don't get as sore after workouts as I used to, but not sure if its down to the shakes or just that Im getting better at exercise lol
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I use gold standard optimum nutrition 100% whey - double rich chocolate:
    120 cals per scoop
    3g carbs
    1g fat
    24g protein

They are expensive, but as others have said, for the amount of protein you get, £ for £ they aren't that expensive. Imagine getting that much protein through just chicken, it would cost you a lot more!

In terms of muscle building:
    1) You can't turn fat into muscle. You burn fat and build muscle, most people can't do these at the same time, but as a newbie and / or obese person it is possible,
    2) The most important thing when building muscle is an excess of calories. Obviously if you want to lose weight you'll be in a deficit, and most likely will only gain a little if any. Then to focus on maintaining your muscle (a lot of people lose muscle while dieting) or gaining it if you can, a small deficit, heavy lifting, and sufficient protein should all help this. It doesn't matter where the protein comes from, you could have it from food, or protein shakes, it won't make a difference if you get the same amount overall. It's just that protein shakes are more convenient, and cheaper than buying lots of fresh meat!
  • Matt_Wild
    Options
    I have an issue with protein powders. The body uses natural protein (i.e from food) to use for fuel and cellular repair. The idea is that powders can be used as quick and easy extra. The problem is that to make protein into a powder it is 'denatured' (i.e broken to bits - not like it would be from food) by heating and freeze drying.. Denatured protein is not digestible by the body's enzymes as they are the wrong shape (it's called lock and key theory - the enzyme and protein only work together if the fit is exact). In the same way, a lot of the protein is produced as recombinant protein from bacteria. Bacteria are prokaryotic life forms and do not have the protein modification systems the eukaryotes (which we are) have to make the protein useful for us. So I don't understand how they are actually supposed to work. Also they are expensive especially with something like a gym membership on top. Plus, too much nucleic acid (i.e DNA - makes protein) causes gout.

Don't you cook your food? That also denatures protein. I think you are getting it a little wrapped around your neck. Whey IS natural protein, its from cheese or milk. Most good protein brands also use a cross flow, cold processed, micro filtered whey retrial system that doesn't involve any heat.

HTH.
  • leatitiaa
    Options

Out of curiosity (I don't want to question your judgement), in your opnion, do you think protein powders have no effect at all?

Or do you think the protein you get from natural food is better than the protein you get from shakes, because it is more natural?
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I think the denatured argument has been done to death hasn't it?

Fried eggs = denatured.
  • leatitiaa
    Options
    em9371, I'm thinking the same thing, 143 g of protein is a lot of eggs. Can't really see myself do that on a daily basis. That makes protein a real well worth investment. Also the things you have mentioned about recovery after workout makes it worth trying.

heidi_1990, I am on a small deficit, only -250/-200 so having read your comment, it seems like adding protein may help me in gaining or retaining muscle.

All the evidence is adding up... may be worth looking for protein powders. Thanks for those advising me not to go for the cheapest, but to look for quality.
  • jenken99
    jenken99 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    i also use protein. i drink the whey strawberry protein drinks and i take protein meal bars with me to work , this helps with over eating and helps me feel full.i have seen difference this is the first time i have dieted with protein and alot of protein and i believe it works...
  • Matt_Wild
    Options
    I think the denatured argument has been done to death hasn't it?

Fried eggs = denatured.

Cooked meat = denatured.

Load of junk the denatured argument, its used to sell product. I eat all my food cooked and plenty of whey and the like. Does it look like the protein doesn't work to you on me?!
  • leatitiaa
    Options

Does it look like the protein doesn't work to you on me?!

Yeah it's definitely working for you!!! As a female though, that's not the look I'm after ;) Thanks for sharing your point of view!
  • Natx83
    Natx83 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    You will gain very little muscle if any whilst in deficit. The idea of having a good protein intake is to assist in not losing so much muscle mass whilst losing weight.

Protein shakes are there to supplement your diet not to be a meal, but it is not something that's wrong to do. I've done it, but I'd rather get it from my diet, on work out days I most usually have one post workout that night sometimes, usually as my dessert after dinner as its tasty as with a banana thrown in there for some extra potassium.
  • leatitiaa
    Options
    You will gain very little muscle if any whilst in deficit. The idea of having a good protein intake is to assist in not losing so much muscle mass whilst losing weight.

Protein shakes are there to supplement your diet not to be a meal, but it is not something that's wrong to do. I've done it, but I'd rather get it from my diet, on work out days I most usually have one post workout that night sometimes, usually as my dessert after dinner as its tasty as with a banana thrown in there for some extra potassium.

Have you noticed any difference when you changed from protein powder to protein from your diet?
  • damnititsme
    damnititsme Posts: 10 Member
    Options

It's interesting that you also noticed your skin improved. I have no idea why protein powders/shakes cause this. Does anyone else?

The main reason I use them is to get a head start in losing weight again (short term) and because they have a lot of protein they seem to keep me full for hours. They are also handy when you travel or are very busy because it saves you from eating junk when you don't have a chance to eat a proper meal.

I also noticed that my recovery after lifting weights has improved - I'm no longer muscle sore for days after a workout.

As for the cost - I agree with Matt - less than "real" food - depends how much you are using them. I currently use MyProtein (UK) and they are pretty reasonably priced.

Hey Skin improvements are likely especially if you have a complete protein. If you think about it the skin is made of a complex of different types of proteins, and if you are getting more amino acids with which your body can make, say collagen, then your skin will improve too.