Low Carb - High Protein

Options
I am looking for some low carb - high protein foods/meals. If anyone could help me out it would greatly appreciated!! Thanks! =)

Replies

• tacticalhippie
    tacticalhippie Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Meats?

I pretty much just eat lean meats with some raw veggies.
    Looks weird to some people but thats what I like
  • sal82
    sal82 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'd love some ideas too. I'm just trying to lower my carb level a bit and getting stuck on ideas.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I'm by no means an expert, but I do have a few ideas...

cheese tends to be low carb, high protein. I have been eating deli sliced cheese lately, and 1 slice has 1 carb, but 6-7 protein grams.

berries tend to be lower in carbs than many other fruits.

chicken ( plain, broiled) is super high in protein, with no carbs! Beef is carb free too.
  • sal82
    sal82 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Are there any carb experts out there? I have found since trying to lower my carbs and increase my protein my fats and cholesterol has gone up. It's been in the red the last few days. Is this bad? My calories are still sitting ok but I've noticed the others creeping up a bit.
  • crrc78
    crrc78 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    lean meats
    eggs (especially egg whites to save calories)
    green veggies
    fat free greek yogurt
    hummus (some brands)
    cheese
    fish
    tuna salad with hardboiled eggs

I try to stick to 75g carbs/day and shoot for 150-200g protein/day, but it's really hard for me with my sweet tooth.
    Good luck!
  • nikki_marie05
    nikki_marie05 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I focus on low carb and low calorie, here are some things I eat:
    most meat-lean or not
    cheese
    peanut butter (only some brands are low-carb, be sure to check)
    low carb bread and pasta
    salads with ranch or Italian, a lot of dressings have a lot of carbs so be cautious
    most veggies except peas and corn (my fave of course!)
    peanuts
    beef jerky
    slim jims (watch out for fat and sodium)
    eggs (a lot) zero carbs

If you have a sweet tooth, try tic tacs, they have zero carbs and they help with mine! Orange is my favorite.
  • Shfiftyfive
    Shfiftyfive Posts: 261
    Options
    Meat, eggs, meat, greek yogurt, meat, cottage cheese, meat, cheese, did I mention meat?
  • heidi5k
    heidi5k Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I made a super yummy cobb salad tonight... lots of protein, almost no carbs.

Romaine,
    Spinach,
    Avocado,
    Cherry Tomatoes,
    Sliced Onion.
    Turkey Bacon,
    Chicken Breast,
    Shredded Cheese,
    Lemon Viniagrette

Here's a link to the recipe: http://blogs.babble.com/family-kitchen/2011/06/07/classic-cobb-salad-with-red-wine-lemon-vinaigrette/
  • kristikin
    kristikin Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Plain greek yogurt is a nice addition to mix it up. I add stevia and/or fresh berries. I get the 2% Fage. It tastes way better than the 0% and worth the small calorie difference. 1 container has 20 grams of protein and 8 grams of sugar.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    These are AMAZING!!!!

Pumpkin Protein BarsNutrition Facts:

Nutrition (without walnuts): 1 square = 47 calories, .7 g fat, 8 g carbs, 3.7 g protein

Nutrition (with walnuts): 1 square = 63 calories, 2.3 g fat, 8 g carbs, 4 g protein

Ingredients:

■½ C Xylitol Brown Sugar Blend (Ideal)
    ■1 - 4 oz. jar baby food applesauce
    ■2 tsp. ground cinnamon
    ■1 ½ tsp. ground ginger
    ■½ tsp. ground clove
    ■1 tsp. baking powder
    ■1 tsp. baking soda
    ■½ tsp. salt
    ■2 tsp. vanilla extract
    ■4 large egg whites
    ■1 - 15 oz. can of raw pumpkin
    ■2 C oat flour
    ■2 scoops vanilla whey protein
    ■½ cup almond milk
    ■½ C chopped walnuts (optional)

Directions:

1.Preheat the oven to 350.
    2.Spray a 9 X 13 Pyrex dish with non-stick spray.
    3.Combine first 11 ingredients and mix well.
    4.Add the final 3 ingredients (4, if adding walnuts), and mix until incorporated. Spread batter into the Pyrex dish and bake for 30 min.
    5.Makes 24 squares.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I tried cauliflower "rice" tonight with beans, rotisserie chicken, grilled asparagus, and fresh fruit.

The "rice" was great and it's 30 calories for a cup, 5.3 carbs, 2 gr protein. My kids gobbled it right up. Here's the link from Snack Girl:

http://www.snack-girl.com/snack/low-calorie-rice/
  • Shfiftyfive
    Shfiftyfive Posts: 261
    Options
    These are AMAZING!!!!

Pumpkin Protein BarsNutrition Facts:

Nutrition (without walnuts): 1 square = 47 calories, .7 g fat, 8 g carbs, 3.7 g protein

Nutrition (with walnuts): 1 square = 63 calories, 2.3 g fat, 8 g carbs, 4 g protein

I've had them and they are quite good, but I wouldn't really call an 8:4 carb to protein ratio "low carb."
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Who's talking ratios??? These are a GREAT treat. They do have oat flour in it but it you want to add more protein powder to up the protein I'm sure you could.
  • texastango
    texastango Posts: 309
    Options
    Are there any carb experts out there? I have found since trying to lower my carbs and increase my protein my fats and cholesterol has gone up. It's been in the red the last few days. Is this bad? My calories are still sitting ok but I've noticed the others creeping up a bit.

This is a perpetual problem for many who actually track it. You're right. By cutting carbs the amount of fat can go up and that can also go up with protein intake (as can cholesterol).

I find supplementation with items that are high protein and/or high fiber and low cholesterol.

Examples:

Jay Robb Whey Protein Shakes - 110 calories per scoop. 25 grams protein. 0 sugar. 0 cholesterol.

Quest Strawberry Cheesecake Protein bar - All Natural - 160 calories. 20 grams protein. 17 grams fiber. 2 Sugar. 5 chol.

Ole Extreme Wellness Tortilla Wraps (Tomato Basil) - 68 calories, 12 grams fiber, 8 grams protein, 0 sugar, 5 net carbs.

Hard boiled egg whites

If you want more suggestions let me know. Moving from 85 percent lean turkey to 99 percent can lower calories from 260 to 120, calories from fat down to 15 from 60 or higher, and lower cholesterol significantly too.

8443442.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    -100-200g chicken
    -200g spinach (cooked)
    -Good shake of tumaric
    -Good shake of cumin
    -Garlic (paste or clove)
    -A little ginger paste (to taste)
    -100ml water

Pre-cook the chicken (you could grill, oven, dry fry - whatever!). Add the chicken onto a prewarmed frying pan, add the spinach into a pan precooked (frozen stuff is ideal, just micro 200g for 5 mins) and the spices. Add the spices to taste with the water and mix and reduce til in a curry like mixture. Plate it up.

A curry with almost zero carbs and very high protein. Jobs a goodun!
  • Mishka84
    Mishka84 Posts: 17
    Options
    Great thread, some good meal ideas here!

I'm trying to eat as close to a paleo diet as possible, basically as clean as I can keeping it low carb/high protein, whilst lifting weights, but I'm only managing to eat around 1200 cals and on the days that I run my net is about 800!

I don't want to add junk to my diet just to make up my calories but I'm quite weak even though I have energy. I'm tempted to give up and increase my carbs even though I'm having noticeable results. Does anyone have any ideas especially high protein snacks?

Thanks!
  • marriedwith
    marriedwith Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I like some boneless chicken sauteed with peppers and onions.

or stir fry chick with brocolli soy sauce white pepper garlic. you can add bamboo shoots, sprouts, water chestnuts.

or how about salad with turkey meat from the deli. add some sunflower seeds and watch your dressing.
  • chase7512
    chase7512 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • conniehgtv
    conniehgtv Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    my new fav
    cottage cheese1/2 cup
    feta cheese 1 tbs
    calamatta olives 3 diced
    1 cup cuke diced yum