Egg whites- why are they recommended?

Options
ilitos
ilitos Posts: 33 Member
I have been checking out diets and they all recommend egg whites, when you use 4 egg whites to do an omelette it's got the same calories than 1 egg, so i don't see much point.. does anyone know?

Replies

• kcragg
    kcragg Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    More than half of a full egg's 6 g of protein comes from the white. A single egg white offers 4 g of protein without the yolk's fat and cholesterol.

An egg white has absolutely no fat, compared to the yolk's 5 g of fat, 2 g of which are saturated fat.

You can mix one whole egg with egg whites to make an omelette.
  • 130annie
    130annie Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    If you don't have a cholestrol problem, I see no point to this....

My hubby has to watch his, so he doesn't too many of them....
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I have been checking out diets and they all recommend egg whites, when you use 4 egg whites to do an omelette it's got the same calories than 1 egg, so i don't see much point.. does anyone know?

For the same calories, you get more protein and less fat and cholesterol. And the "traditional" American weight loss diet runs screaming from the horrible nasty word "fat!".

Personally, I eat eggs, yolk and all. I need the fat, and the iron, and the extra proteins in the yolk.

But you have to use the tools that give you the nutrients you need. If you need to raise your proteins and your fats and iron are fine, then by all means tuck in to the egg whites!
  • saraht131
    saraht131 Posts: 86
    Options
    I don't see the point in eating egg whites only unless you're a fitness model or a professional body builder and you're on one of those strict high protein and zero everything else diets.
    The fats in eggs are good! They won't make you fat, and you need healthy fats to be healthy. So eat the whole thing - much nicer and much more nutritious! Also eggs help lower cholesterol.
  • marriedwith
    marriedwith Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    they are a protein that burns the hottest. Pork has the lowest thermic effect.
  • Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options

Yolk is high in cholesterol...My doctor recommended that I really watch my cholesterol because everything else is top notch...but if I didn't eat right and workout the way I do...I would have high cholesterol.....
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    For me it's the cholesterol in the yolk. I am trying to get mine down, so no egg yolks.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    For me, I can eat more volume with fewer calories. If you add up the 1 egg and 4 egg whites for an omelet and compare it to 5 whole eggs.. there is a BIG difference in calories. I'd rather be full and have the bonus of saving cals for other meals.
  • fairygirl716
    fairygirl716 Posts: 213
    Options
    I can't stand the flavor of the yolk...so, for me, it is only about the taste! Just glad the part I like is the lower calorie part...that's not typical for me :)
  • bazfitness
    bazfitness Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Isn't your cholesterol level mostly produced by your own body, rather than consuming cholesterol itself?
    At least that's what i've read of late.

I use all the egg - I'm loathe to waste food for one thing in a world where millions are going hungry.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I eat eggs for a low calorie protein. I don't like the yolks, so end up with just egg whites.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

all diets recommend egg whites? uh...no. anyway, for me, this is a waste and old info. For those that buy those cartons of egg whites only, thats just more processing done to your food. Eat the whole egg.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    For me, I can eat more volume with fewer calories. If you add up the 1 egg and 4 egg whites for an omelet and compare it to 5 whole eggs.. there is a BIG difference in calories. I'd rather be full and have the bonus of saving cals for other meals.
    Of course it's fewer calories. It's less food.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I eat eggs for a low calorie protein. I don't like the yolks, so end up with just egg whites.
    This is the only good reason.
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    The cholesterol in egg yolks is not harmful and can be beneficial to people trying to lower bad cholesterol. So the cholesterol stuff is BS (sorry, but facts etc)

I do it because I want to cut down on calories and one egg white is only 15 calories and has lots of protein.
  • saraht131
    saraht131 Posts: 86
    Options
    For those saying they won't eat yolks because of the cholesterol in them, egg yolks will help LOWER your cholesterol levels. You are getting bad advice. Don't trust everything your doctor says! Question everything.
    Cholesterol is essential to many of your biological processes, and your liver makes it. When you eat animal fats/animal cholesterol, like from egg yolks, it can even slow down your liver's production of cholesterol, which is good. 80% of the cholesterol in your body is made in your liver and directed by your lifestyle (smoking for example) and only 20% is from food. Cholesterol from animal fats will not increase the amount of bad cholesterol in your body.

I probably didn't explain this very clearly - do a google of egg cholesterol myths and you'll find something better explained!
  • acstansell
    acstansell Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I eat 2 egg whites about 3 days a week for breakfast. Lower in calories but packed with protein. They are filling too.

But, I'll have a whole egg on occasion.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I hate wasting the yolk but I don't really like the carton of egg whites. If I ate the whole egg would get too many calories and the purpose for me is to get as much protein as I can. I have at least 1 yolk and get the rest of my fats from almonds, olive oil, avocados, fish oil.
  • fairygirl716
    fairygirl716 Posts: 213
    Options
    I forgot to say....I never waste the yolk. My dog gets the yolk and it's good for her coat.

For anyone wishing to succeed in their "diet", do what you can to inform yourself. If you want to follow a fad...fine, do it fully informed as to why it is suppose to work. RESEARCH!!! Don't take the word of anyone just because they said it. If it smells fishy...it's probably been lying around awhile. If it looks fresh....it has probably be preserved! (and that doesn't mean it is good for you!)
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    I used to eat whole eggs (only in omelet form or scrambled, never with the runny yolk --eww!) before, but now and for the longest time it's egg whites only. Why? Because I like it that way. I do not currently have and have never had cholesterol issues, nothing like that. But for me, I figure that long term, egg whites might just be a bit healthier, I like they are lower calories too.

My choice. To each their own. :smile: