Help with protein?

Options
Hi,

I always struggle with protein, I'm trying to get to 30% protein and I am getting there but tonight I am going to a friends and we are having vegetable fingers (she's a veggie), pizza and chips. I know this isn't a great meal plan but it's easiest for her. My question is how can I get some protein in before I go round hers? I'm at work at the moment and I will be going straight to hers so I can't go to my house to have a protein shake etc. I can get to a supermarket quickly before I go round, so what should I buy there?

Sorry this is a little crazy, I'm just trying out strength training and I don't want to hurt the process my only eating like 50g of protein!

Replies

• marthafox1
    marthafox1 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Greek yoghurt, handful of almonds, skimmed milk, cottage cheese or you might be lucky and they sell protein bars in with the vitamins.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Easy/hurried answer: prepackaged protein shake or protein bar. It'll give you a quick dose of proteins and is designed to do exactly what you are trying to do. You can grab one very quickly and munch on it on the way back out to your car, so it's minimal fuss and delay.

Better answer: If they have a salad bar with a decent selection, grab some lean chicken and a couple of hardboiled eggs or something protein-y from that. Or, as previously suggested, some greek yogurt or a single serving of milk (skim or otherwise depending on your fat quota for the day) would help. Add a handful of some sort of nut.
  • Adnan5224
    Adnan5224 Posts: 14
    Options
    Protein Bars are a great idea less than $3 a bar get 2 and you have 50+g of protein depending on the bar.
  • Edwin_S
    Edwin_S Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Beef Jerky can be useful. But watch the sodium and MSG intake.
  • bangersnmash90
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I think I'll check out the salad bar for some hard boiled eggs and see if they've got some chicken legs or something, and possibly some milk!

I'll check out their vitamin section too, to see if they have got any protein bars! Probably will be good as I'll eat less chips etc then too!

Thanks again :).
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I always struggle with protein, I'm trying to get to 30% protein and I am getting there but tonight I am going to a friends and we are having vegetable fingers (she's a veggie), pizza and chips. I know this isn't a great meal plan but it's easiest for her. My question is how can I get some protein in before I go round hers? I'm at work at the moment and I will be going straight to hers so I can't go to my house to have a protein shake etc. I can get to a supermarket quickly before I go round, so what should I buy there?

Sorry this is a little crazy, I'm just trying out strength training and I don't want to hurt the process my only eating like 50g of protein!

Beef Jerky (I always load up on water on days with beef jerky)
    Almonds (watch those cals though, GOOD FATS too though!)
    Greek Yogurt (Add some fruit and toss into ice cream machine.. oh yeah baby!)
    Vegetable Protein you can buy this in specialty stores next to the flour. You just sprinkle it into foods and you get PROTEIN!!!
    Cottage Cheese
    Mozarella String Cheese Sticks (One of my Favorites)
    Turkey Pepperoni (MY FAVORITE)
    Hard Boiled Eggs
    Chicken Breast (I almost always have one to two I cooked up recently in the fridge!)
    Canned Chicken/Tuna (Watch sodium intake)
    Protein Bars (some taste like garbage, Qwest bars are hard to find but superior in taste then just about anything else)
    Protein Shake (My least favorite way to get protein)
  • elfinsnow
    elfinsnow Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    The salad bar tip was awesome- I`ll remember that! I too was thinking yogurt or cottage cheese.. throw in some almond slivers. Or the premade protein drink- easy to drink on the wy. I have a hard time too at other ppl`s houses.We are whole food eaters. Pizza and chips seem to be a staple these day, and I don`t eat either!
  • jared767
    jared767 Posts: 76
    Options
    I was also looking for a way to increase my protein intake but I couldn't find a protein bar that would give me at least 25 g. Most of what I see from this website contains 7-10 g only.

Source: http://www.nutritionix.com/search?q=protein+bars
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    I was also looking for a way to increase my protein intake but I couldn't find a protein bar that would give me at least 25 g. Most of what I see from this website contains 7-10 g only.

Source: http://www.nutritionix.com/search?q=protein+bars

Go to walmart, super target, hy-vee, wholefoods, trader joes, any local store and most will have protein bar section and look at the packages, The normal protein bars give you around 20-25g and upwards to 50g on the higher end larger bars.

Taste wise I recommend:

Qwest - Always have to order online but these are by FAR the best tasting I've had. (even better when you microwave them for 20-30 seconds!)
    Luna - Makes a decent bar, love the variety of flavors.
    Cliffs - Another decent bar, they have mini's which is awesome to have on the go!
    Pure Protein - Very edible
    PowerBar Protein - I can suffer through these the texture is the biggest issue for me.
  • Edwin_S
    Edwin_S Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Wow, I'm so hungry now after reading all those ideas!