Best protein powder

Options
So I'm looking to buy some protein powder for my brekky smoothie. What is your favourite and why ?

:)

Replies

• bodybuilder2001
    Options
    100% Whey Protein Powder. Tastes very good and a lot of flavors to choose from. Great results too!
  • Denise4626
    Denise4626 Posts: 89
    Options
    Horleys Ripped, Vanilla Dream, Because you can add it to oats etc
  • giggles7706
    giggles7706 Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    My fiance just got some N.O. Explode Vanilla Ice cream flavored and I love it. I can't vouch for much other ones because I haven't really tried any other ones.
  • beautifulblac84
    Options
    Muscle Milk protein powder..my two favs are vanilla cream and cookies n cream..yummy..
  • FitterGill
    FitterGill Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Ive just bought some Impact whey protein cookies n cream from Myprotein.com. Only £14.72 for a kg and lots of flavours to choose from. Its only 83% protein but half the price of most others so you could always just use 40g instead of 25g!

G
  • lil_ducky
    lil_ducky Posts: 8
    Options
    Sounds so yummy... though I'm not too keen on adding cookie and cream flavoured protein powder to my banana smoothie hehehehe
  • beautifulblac84
    Options
    :laugh:
  • texastango
    texastango Posts: 309
    Options
    So I'm looking to buy some protein powder for my brekky smoothie. What is your favourite and why ?

:)
    [/quote

Look past the most obvious numbers - Taste is important. However, carefully look at the nutritional information past protein and calories. IE sugar, cholesterol, sodium. Example: Jay Robb has 0 (ZERO) cholesterol (why do you want to add bad cholesterol to your diet), zero sugar (stevia)). GNC has 5 mg cholesterol. Some brands have as much as 85 mg cholestorol. It just depends on the purity of the whey isolate. While whey compounds have more contaminates, they are also more bio-active. If you're lactose intolerante also check for if they are lactose free. Just sayin!
  • jared767
    jared767 Posts: 76
    Options
    Muscle Milk chocolate protein. 150 g calories, 16 g protein, 8 g. carbs

Source: http://www.nutritionix.com/cytosport/muscle-milk-chocolate-protein-supplement
  • MzMiller1215
    MzMiller1215 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Smoothie King Gladiator Strawberry. It doesn't taste chalky even when I mix it with water and there is 40 g of protein in one serving. Gotta love it!
  • nannabannana
    nannabannana Posts: 787
    Options
    bump for viewing MRM whey protein powder for a lot of punch...87 calories for 1 scoop and add water...or add skim milk for even tastier treat. Tks to all for sharing..
  • Rose_Oh
    Rose_Oh Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michael's Whey Protein: 1 scoop, Calories: 100, Fat: 1.5g, Carbs: 7g, Protein: 15g

Very good in a Smoothie made with milk and fruit.
  • lkcostello
    lkcostello Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    bump.
  • BigMike915
    BigMike915 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Myofusion, I just finished the milk chocolate, and now I have the cookie's and cream. Myofusion is the best tasting I have tried.
  • deeshear
    deeshear Posts: 4
    Options
    Body by Vi...it's awesome and i've lost 31 lbs in 90 days using it !!1:happy:
  • lil_ducky
    lil_ducky Posts: 8
    Options
    thanks for the tips! I guess I'll just go to the shop and do some research on the brands they have!
  • texastango
    Options
    Smoothie King Gladiator Strawberry. It doesn't taste chalky even when I mix it with water and there is 40 g of protein in one serving. Gotta love it!

Just looked this up to check it out for myself:

The Actual Smoothie Kind Gladiator Strawberry is two scoops 45 grams of protein - if you did two scoops of Jay Robb for example you'd be at 50 grams of protein - not that more is better mind you -

MFP has the calorie count of Smoothie King Gladiator Strawberry at 270 calories. Two scoops of Jay Robb for example would be 220 cals (without added fruit or almond milk). Bottom line - it's really a wash between the two on the calories, protein, and carbs, fat level. Question is how much cholesterol and sugar are in Smoothie King - appears in MFP as 0 and 0.

Bottom line - I agree. Seems to be an excellent choice - but realize that they are using two scoops - so for all those that quote 25 grams of protein you'd have to double that number and they would actually have more protein. More isn't always better. Your body can only absorb about 90 percent of the protein you ingest and make sure you don't have pre-existing kidney issues. If you do, high protein diets can further damage your kidneys. So make sure you are okay. Keep your protein intake below 2.0 grams per kilo (ie your weight in pounds). A normal protein intake is about half that or 1.0 grams per kilo. Kidney patients 0.8 grams per kilo unless they are on dialysis (then 1.0 grams per kilo). if you do killer aerobics about 1.2 - 1.4 grams per kilo. Resistance training 1.4 - 1.8 grams per kilo.

Check out SCAN (Sports Cardiovascular Wellness and Nutrition) website for more info. It's the site registered Dietitians refer to frequently.
  • texastango
    Options
    Muscle Milk protein powder..my two favs are vanilla cream and cookies n cream..yummy..

Muscle Milk numbers are also for two scoops. The nutritional information provided by the company is as follows: As you can see it's calorie count is very high compared to the others (because it has more fat = 9 calories per gram, protein 4 cals per gram, carbs 4 calories per gram). It's very high in bad fat (ie saturated fat). Wouldn't be my first choice even if it tasted good. I'd find an alternative.

]Supplement Facts
    Serving Size 2 SCOOPS
    Servings Per Container 15

Amount Per
    Serving % Daily
    Value

Calories 348 N/A* (very high)
    Calories From Fat 162 N/A*
    Total Fat 18 Gm N/A* (HIGH)
    Saturated Fat 8 Gm N/A* (very high)
    Cholesterol 3 Mg N/A*
    Sodium 200 Mg N/A* (high)
    Potassium 595 Mg N/A*
    Total Carbohydrate 12 Gm N/A* (higher than many)
    Dietary Fiber 2 Gm N/A*
    Sugars 6 Gm N/A* (higher than many)
    Protein 32 Gm 100% (lower than two scoops of many)

Vitamin A 0 N/A*
    Vitamin C 0 N/A*
    Calcium 0 N/A*
    Iron 0 N/A*
    Vitamin D 0 N/A*
    Vitamin E 0 N/A*
    Thiamine 0 N/A*
    Riboflavin 0 N/A*
    Niacin 0 N/A*
    Vitamin B6 0 N/A*
    Folic Acid 0 N/A*
    Vitamin B12 0 N/A*
    Biotin 0 N/A*
    Pantothenic Acid 0 N/A*
    Phosphorus 0 N/A*
    Iodine 0 N/A*
    Magnesium 0 N/A*
    Zinc 0 N/A*
    Copper 0 N/A*
    Chromium 100 Mcg 100%
  • BazAbroad
    BazAbroad Posts: 248
    Options
    choc mint from www.bulknutrients.com.au
    Quality and Price, protein powders r very expensive over here.
  • texastango
    Options
    Myofusion, I just finished the milk chocolate, and now I have the cookie's and cream. Myofusion is the best tasting I have tried.

Check the numbers out on MFP
    calories 147 (not bad)
    Protein 25 grams one scoop (50 two)
    3 grams fat
    1 gram sat fat
    30 grams cholesterol
    Sodium 60
    Sugar 2
    Fiber 1
    Carbs 5 (Net carbs 5 - 1 fiber = 4)

All in all not bad if it tastes good...however just using Jay Robb as an example (I do not promote any particular Whey) - Jay Robb has zero cholesterol, zero fat, zero sugar, 1 carb. 110 calories. If you don't like it, then it doesn't really matter. GNC brands I believe are only 5 of cholesterol.Just read the labels on the ones people suggest, try them, see what you think, but also be smart about what you're putting in your body.

No point in looking good on the outside and plugging up the inside. I spoke to a person doing ADKINS diet and eating lots of peppered bacon for breakfast and lunch because it wasn't high calorie and was protein and fat - low carb.

With protein and fat come cholesterol. So being skinney isn't worth a heart attack or bypass operation. Good on the inside and outside if you ask me. Be smart. Lose weight the right way...not just any way.