Subway site nutrition info, Do I go off that?

Options
So at the site I calculated my 12'' sub it said 468 calories. But when I look through the database on here, it says 700-900 calories. Which do I go by?

Replies

• PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Depends what you put into, but 12" are usually around 700 yes :)
  • kadins_momma07
    kadins_momma07 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    When I eat Subway I always go to their website and enter what it says...because nobody on here eats the exact same stuff on their sandwich as I do. I like their website because you can add/subtract things from the sandwich to get exact calculations.
  • NoraMich84
    NoraMich84 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I agree with Razique. Make sure on subway's website you tell it 12", it automatically defaults to 6". Also make sure you are looking at the total calories and not serving size, or calories from fat.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    In the spectrum of information on the internet, I would put the MFP food database on the very bottom in terms of accuracy. It's mostly user-entered data, and is incorrect more often than not. (The entries without the asterisk are stock USDA data, and are usually pretty accurate, but not always).

OF COURSE the official subway website will be more accurate than whatever some random clueless user here entered.
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    I go onto the site and calculate it and then enter it in the database as how I like it for me. The ones you are looking at on here someone else will have entered so they may have different sauces etc to you.
  • thefreebiemom
    thefreebiemom Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Yeah are you sure its set as a 12" and not 6"? Unless you were using flatbread that sounds very low. Even the fresh fit subs barely reach that amount for a 12".

We eat at Subway at least once a week. What sub are you eating? I would suggest not using the main nutritional chart that is on the website because it assumes wheat bread and a various amt of veggies and no cheese. I eat everything plain so I had to click on "all sandwiches" and then choose spicy italian (the only thing I will eat there) and then on the right hand side it gives the nutritional info but it has a button where you can "calculate yours". Click on that and it will let you remove or add toppings and change the bread and choose the type of cheese. That will give you a more accurate count and then you can manually create the food in your diary. It will then be saved in there for future use. Just my plain 6" spicy italian sub on italian herbs and cheese bread is 480 calories. I guess if I ever wanted to save a few calories one day I could get plain bread.

Other then that as long as the website lets you customize the product I always go with the website over MFP. You never know what the person who initially created that food in MFP had on theirs if it doesn't specify.
  • brooke_92606
    Options
    I had a Subway melt without bacon american cheese and light mayo.. I clicked the footlong option. It said 482 The six inch is 200 something.
  • jared767
    jared767 Posts: 76
    Options
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    On their site it shows a 'Subway Melt' with the ham and turkey? Is that it?

If so, a 12 inch on 9 grain wheat, no bacon, no mayo, no cheese and adding no vegetables it's 540 calories.
  • beccadaniixox
    beccadaniixox Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    You're probably mixing up the serving size with the calories.
    I always thought the serving size was the calories.. I'm always used to calories being the first number lol

SERVING SIZE (g) 512
    CALORIES 770
  • volvol16
    volvol16 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    When I eat Subway I always go to their website and enter what it says...because nobody on here eats the exact same stuff on their sandwich as I do. I like their website because you can add/subtract things from the sandwich to get exact calculations.

You can do the same thing with Chiptole, but it's not on their website... http://www.chipotlecaloriecalculator.com/
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Yeah are you sure its set as a 12" and not 6"? Unless you were using flatbread that sounds very low. Even the fresh fit subs barely reach that amount for a 12".
    Just FYI, the flatbread has as many calories as the regular bread. They are all between 200-250 for the 6 inch size.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    In the spectrum of information on the internet, I would put the MFP food database on the very bottom in terms of accuracy. It's mostly user-entered data, and is incorrect more often than not. (The entries without the asterisk are stock USDA data, and are usually pretty accurate, but not always).

OF COURSE the official subway website will be more accurate than whatever some random clueless user here entered.

I've been assured by other MFP members that they have NEVER found an entry on MFP that wasn't 100% accurate.

So it must be true.

In all seriousness, yes, go with the Subway site, but make sure it's the right size sub.
  • beccadaniixox
    beccadaniixox Posts: 542 Member
    Options

You can do the same thing with Chiptole, but it's not on their website... http://www.chipotlecaloriecalculator.com/

http://www.chipotle.com/en-US/menu/nutrition_calculator/nutrition_calculator.aspx

I think they just added in a little while ago, but they do have their own now :)
  • KAA1982
    KAA1982 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Go by the information calculated at Subways site, as you build your meal. Then you can create that item on MFP for future reference. That is what I do b/c everyone likes their sub different.
  • misticache
    misticache Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    They have a place on their site that you can build your own sub and see exactly what is in it. I do that and print it out then i add it to the "my meals" section on here so every time I go to order now I already have it listed and don't have to guess. I have a couple of different ones that I choose from. Oven roasted chicken and turkey are my go to subs. I get just vinegar or the light mayo. But seriously just go on their site to that section and put what you like and figure where you can make changes to get the healthiest sub for you.
  • ashiggins
    ashiggins Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    You're probably mixing up the serving size with the calories.
    I always thought the serving size was the calories.. I'm always used to calories being the first number lol

SERVING SIZE (g) 512
    CALORIES 770

THIS!!!! It took me a couple times to realize that I was looking at serving size and not calories---I've had the subway melt and the 12" is definitely not 500 cals haha
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    The website assumes wheat bread, no sauce and no cheese, but yeah, 700-900 range sounds about right for most footlongs. 4 cheese triangles is about 100 calories. I like the smokehouse chicken. Throw a ton of veggies on that. It doesn't need any extra sauce.
  • misticache
    misticache Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Go by the information calculated at Subways site, as you build your meal. Then you can create that item on MFP for future reference. That is what I do b/c everyone likes their sub different.

Sorry I hadn't seen this post. See I'm not the only one who does that! :flowerforyou:
  • sunnyspirits
    sunnyspirits Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Remember too that American and Canadian Subways have different distributors so the amount of calories in the products could be different.