Who Uses Stevia

Options
2»

Replies

• cllovesdw4eva
    Options
    To me its great in green tea, lemonade, and some coffees. Its the best way I have found to avoid drinking too many calories.......but honestly Ive been sticking to water mostly.
  • irishcanadianwoman
    Options
    Love Stevia! I'm in Ontario and just get it at my local grocery store. It is very sweet, so although it costs more than fake sweeteners, I use much less. Worth it.
  • cestlafete
    cestlafete Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I actually started an herb garden this spring and planted Stevia, which is starting to come up pretty nicely now. Does anyone have any experience with using it in its most natural form?
  • VanessaGS
    VanessaGS Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    You guys are a BIG HELP. Thanks.
  • StrongGwen
    StrongGwen Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I use Stevia. I even grow it!

I also use Stevia in the raw.

Here is one of my new stevia plants I just planted! I have 6 of them growing new thing year. My only problem is my son likes to eat the leaves!

24bjin4.jpg

I have some growing for the first time, but what do you do once it's grown? how do you get the sweetness out of the leaves and into your foods?
  • AggieLu
    AggieLu Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I use Stevia in the Raw in place of sugar. It's a bit more expensive, but better for you that the alternative sweeteners.
  • 4ckmkj8
    4ckmkj8 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I use Steva in the Raw to sweeten smoothies, oatmeal and tea. Love it.
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    I use sweet leaf pure stevia the taste is off, but it is natural and they do have many flavors of it too. My faves are the vanilla and the toffee with my morning coffee and the grape with my plain soda water.

I still do use splenda from time to time, usually when I am cooking and I will do half splenda and half stevia. to help the taste as non flavored pure stevia does have an after taste and if I use a lot of it as in with cakes or cookies it become more evident, the splenda will help the taste.

I have used stevia in the raw brand and it tastes a bit better than the sweet leaf stevia brand, but it is mixed with a few sugar alcohols.
  • StrongGwen
    StrongGwen Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I like it a lot, it has such a real-sugar taste that I can sprinkle it on fruit for a dessert and it has no aftertaste. I have read that some people have taste-receptors that make it taste bitter, so apparently you either like it or you don't based on your biology. I can get mine at any grocery or walmart, and I live in a really small town. also health food stores sell a pure stevia product without any of the added chemicals if that matters to you.

My favorite is to make whole-berry cranberry sauce using frozen berries available all year now, and stevia. I think the entire bag of raw berries has like 50 calories or some ridiculous number, and they are so good for you in so many ways!
  • preferthebeach
    Options
    I use it! It is expensive but last a long time! You can get it at Kroger in the Health Food/organic section
  • prov31jd
    prov31jd Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    For anyone interested in growing it and harvesting it yourself, here's a link to a video describing how you can do it. You can make "sweet water" like the woman in the video mentions. . . or you can just use the white powder that is what you get when you harvest it out of the dried leaves.

http://nogreaterjoy.org/video/pearls-of-wisdom-making-sweet-juice/

*edit for a typo
  • AFluffyNyamma
    AFluffyNyamma Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I use truvia, I feel like it had a hint of a herbal taste when added to my coffee but I like it enough for that to not be noticeable.

I feel like its better than other sweeteners, also its way sweeter
  • kristelpoole
    kristelpoole Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I love stevia. I use it in lots of things and in all different forms. If I'm baking, I usually mix it with real sugar for texture purposes. You can buy it just about anywhere and even a lot of restaurants and coffee shops are carrying it now.
  • EthanJeremiahsMama
    EthanJeremiahsMama Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Stevia In The Raw! I usually add it to my protein shakes / smoothies.. or my nonfat greek yogurt. Great addition to sweeten some food up!
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    I use Stevia. I even grow it!

I also use Stevia in the raw.

Here is one of my new stevia plants I just planted! I have 6 of them growing new thing year. My only problem is my son likes to eat the leaves!

24bjin4.jpg

I have some growing for the first time, but what do you do once it's grown? how do you get the sweetness out of the leaves and into your foods?

I dry the leaves with a dehydrator then I put them in a food processor and grind them up into a powder and store it in a glass jar.
  • stephaniekneld
    Options
    I have used Stevia for 5 years. I buy "Now" brand "Better Stevia" organic powder. you can purchase it from Swanson vitamins for about $5.95. A little goes a long way, and one 1 ounce container lasts me about 5 months.... but I use it for coffee and making salad dressings, or for whipped cream.... I do not eat bread, or baked goods, so do not need it for baking.
  • TheUnwritten
    TheUnwritten Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I use Stevia in the Raw. I use to use Splenda all the time but I noticed I would use more and more as time progressed and I would get huge cravings for something sweeter. Since I started Stevia I hardly get the cravings. It could just be all in my head too but I think Stevia taste better.