Muffin Top

Options
hmock93
hmock93 Posts: 28 Member
Cannot get rid of my muffin top!

I'm a beginner with no upper body strength and the only exercise I know that works on muffin top is where you balance on your fore-arms and feet on one side and lift your hips up and down. Sadly, I cannot yet do this.. at all.

Any tips?

Replies

• AshRyd
    AshRyd Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    at first I could not do those at all either. then after ready post after post about Jillian Michaels 30 day shred I tried it and I am now on ripped in 30 --- now I can do them!!! she has them in the dvd's but you work up to them and work up to being stronger --- the dvd's were only $9 at my local Target.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Spot exercising is a total waste of time. Just do general strength training with some cardio mixed in, and eat right and your muffin top will disappear.
  • hmock93
    Options
    Oh okay so Jillian can help with upper body strength. That's great. I just bought two of her DVDs Buns & Thighs and 6 week Six-Pack. I'm looking for buddies to do it with me! Thanks for the tip
  • Jenu5
    Jenu5 Posts: 2
    Options
    It's hard with all of them but try doing what most would call a girl push up. On your knees and as you progress you will feel the difference.
    :smile: :smile: :smile:
  • hmock93
    Options
    Are there easier level strength training routines I could start?
  • VanessaGS
    VanessaGS Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    OH OH DO THE 30 DAY SHRED by Jillian Michaels. She works you up to it and it's only a 20 minute work out. I must say I love it and I'm starting to build upper body strength as well as slowly losing my muffin top. I've only been at it for 11 days and I'm satisfied. The DVD is CHEAP!
  • korsicash
    korsicash Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    try the 30 day shred. Also get one of the big exercise balls. I started with the ball and moved up slowly from there. Also reverse crunches will help a bit.
  • VanessaGS
    VanessaGS Posts: 514 Member
    Options

Jillian has advanced training as well as a not so advanced training within the DVD. You can do the non advanced version and work your way up. I went from doing 3 pushups to now being able to do 23. You just gotta push yourself as hard as you can.
  • rav52
    rav52 Posts: 495
    Options
    Im also doing the 30 day shred and it is great. Highly recommend it!!
  • stephenatl09
    stephenatl09 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Spot exercising is a total waste of time. Just do general strength training with some cardio mixed in, and eat right and your muffin top will disappear.
    ^^^^ this ^^^^
  • mhankosk
    mhankosk Posts: 535 Member
    Options

Jillian has advanced training as well as a not so advanced training within the DVD. You can do the non advanced version and work your way up. I went from doing 3 pushups to now being able to do 23. You just gotta push yourself as hard as you can.

^^ What she said and also, just use lighter weights to start, then up the resistance once you feel comfortable. Remember, only heavy weights are going to actually build muscle. And "heavy" is different for every one. Just make sure you fatigue the muscle. When it repairs itself is when it builds. :)
  • mhankosk
    mhankosk Posts: 535 Member
    Options

And also... what he said. :flowerforyou:
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    ^^^^ this ^^^^

very true. Sadly, spot reducing fat does not work.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options

^this
    took the words right out of my mouth
  • millers617
    millers617 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    OH OH DO THE 30 DAY SHRED by Jillian Michaels. She works you up to it and it's only a 20 minute work out. I must say I love it and I'm starting to build upper body strength as well as slowly losing my muffin top. I've only been at it for 11 days and I'm satisfied. The DVD is CHEAP!

WHAT SHE SAID!! I started 5 weeks ago, 2-3X/week and running on the other days. I almost look like a new person!
  • Anomalia
    Anomalia Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    The top is my favorite part of the muffin.
  • Stephie_J
    Stephie_J Posts: 260 Member
    Options

I'm a beginner with no upper body strength and the only exercise I know that works on muffin top is where you balance on your fore-arms and feet on one side and lift your hips up and down. Sadly, I cannot yet do this.. at all.

Any tips?

30 day shred! Hands down! See how my muffin top disappeared: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/StephRP80/view/30ds-round-2-up-to-day-24-of-level-3-245819
  • Anomalia
    Anomalia Posts: 506 Member
    Options

Any tips?

30 day shred! Hands down! See how my muffin top disappeared: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/StephRP80/view/30ds-round-2-up-to-day-24-of-level-3-245819

You look amazing! Great job!
  • hmock93
    Options
    Oh, thanks everyone!
    I can't buy the 30DS right now so I'll have to deal with her other two DVDs I just bought but as soon as I can, I'll purchase it.
    Let me know if anyone is starting a group for a Jillian Michaels Challenge!
  • tweetybaby69
    tweetybaby69 Posts: 258 Member
    Options

Definitely this^^^^^ I am on Day 10 and getting ready to advance to level two. I will try it out as I have been out of shape for quite some tme, if i find it too difficult, I can stay on level one a little longer.

Good luck!