calorie intake

Options
I found out that I should be eating 1800 calories a day while doing insanity... I've only been eating 1200 this whole time and I haven't been losing much weight.. is that why?

but 1800 seems like a lot, won't I just gain weight?

help please

Replies

• maru84
    maru84 Posts: 128
    Options
    Up your intake slowly, 100 calories a day, and see how you feel/what the scale looks like. 1200 calories seems like so little to me.
  • mayerel
    mayerel Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    This topic comes up all the time.

You need the calories to fuel your activity. One keen member said, it's like a car, you wouldn't only fill your car half-way up if you had to go a full-tank's miles would you? Just like not filling your car with enough gas, not filling your body with enough energy can cause problems including not losing weight.

Try upping your calories, see what happens!
  • allaboutcupcakes
    Options
    I've been reading and while you are doing intense work outs like insanity, you actually need to eat more to lose weight. Your body thinks it's starving if it is not getting the right amount of calories and in turn stores fat so the scale doesn't move an inch. 1800 calories is appropriate for the work out. You burn A TON of calories in that workout and so you will see the results you want by upping your calorie intake.
  • LPS1986
    LPS1986 Posts: 104
    Options
    Your profile says you are 5f2 and fairly close to your goal weight. In fact, I would venture to say you are at healthy weight but trying to get more fit. If so, 1800 calories is perfect. I am right now eating at 1600 calories, eating my exercise calories back and I am 25 years old. Your age, plus your height, makes it seem like it might be comparable. You could always use the link below to determine your TDEE.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • pinkupooh
    pinkupooh Posts: 155
    Options
    yup, 1200 cals are too little and your body must have gone into starvation mode and shut down metabolizm.
    if you are doing the insanity programs, then I would think 1800 doesn't seem a lot. Give that a try 1 week, if you are little under would be fine, but anything under 1500 would cause you damage than gain.

Hope this helps.
  • katmont
    katmont Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Billy Banks tae bo and I had to up my calorie intake and eat more protein because the scale was not moving for about two months......now im losing inches and the number on the scale is going down :)