jillian michael protein shakes?

Options
is jillian michael's protein shakes a good choice for a replacement breakfast/extra way to get protein? i have been looking for a protein shake that cost under $20 that is a healthy choice

Replies

• wranglerwomen
    wranglerwomen Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    bump
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I'm more than a little bit reluctant to buy anything with her name on it. While certain programs of hers (notably 30DS and RI30) have been shown to be quite good, she's too quick to sell the rights to her name to any product looking to market themselves. Most of the products you see with her name on them are made by companies just having her endorse them. There are other choices that are better IMO. You should look into GNC's Lean Shakes. Buy it by the tub, not the RTD bottles.
  • wranglerwomen
    Options
    what is the cost for the GNC shakes? the protein shakes i have been seeing are all over $30 and money is tight. i would love to be able to add a protein shake to my diet
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    No, in my opinion. They're full of sugar, carbs and fillers that provide no benefit. Plus they don't contain enough protein per serving...it's mostly fillers. Just like everything else, you get what you pay for. Quality protein supplements cost more.
  • jilltaylor86
    jilltaylor86 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    DO NOT BUY. They are disgusting!!! They don't mix well and biting into a lump of it makes me gag. Seriously the worst tasting protein powder, EVER.
  • jazziejasmine
    Options
    Personally I really enjoy the Carnation instant breakfast, sugar free variety and add a scoop of unflavored/unsweetened protein powder to it to up my protein intake. You can also add 1/2 a banana or 1 Tbsp peanut butter for variety.
  • wranglerwomen
    Options
    thanks for the feed back
  • SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Personally, I like the JM protein shakes. It's actually Pure Protein protein powder with her name on it. They are LOW in sugar and carbs and are not full of fillers. But you can also buy Pure Protein protein powder for about the same price without her name on it. That's what my family drinks and we love it. It has more protein as well.

Here's the nutritional info for the Jillian Michael's Pure Protein powder:

Nutrition Facts

Serving Size 27 g
    Servings Per Container 14
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories 100
    Calories from Fat 15

% Daily Value*
    Total Fat 2 g
    Saturated Fat 0.50 g
    Cholesterol 45 mg
    Sodium 60 mg
    Potassium 150 mg
    Total Carbohydrate 7 g
    Dietary Fiber 3 g
    Sugars 3 g
    Protein 15 g
    Calcium 11%
    Phosphorus 11%
    Magnesium 5%

Here's the Pure Protein powder info:

Nutrition Facts
    Serving Size 1 scoop (33g)

Amount Per Serving

Calories 140

% Daily Values*
    Total Fat 3g
    Saturated Fat 1g
    Trans Fat 0g
    Cholesterol 80mg
    Sodium 190mg
    Potassium 250mg
    Total Carbohydrate 3g
    Dietary Fiber 1g
    Sugars 2g
    Protein 25g
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    There are two different versions: There's the regular Total Lean shakes which contain 9g of protein per serving and the "25" version which has 25g protein per serving. If you're a gold card member (which is free, sign up at your local GNC) the regular one costs $26 for a tub of 16 servings, and the 25 version costs $35 per tub of 16 servings. The formula is oatmeal based which is why it's so high in fiber. The regular version is basically just oatmeal ground into a fine powder that mixes with water into a shake with flavoring added, and the "25" version is an oatmeal/whey protein blend. Knowing that you could probably make your own at home with some whey protein mix and some oatmeal put into a coffee grinder. Of course getting the texture right would be impossible without the additives they add...

Also, the JM Protein is not meant to be a meal replacement and can't really be used as one. There's specific ones made to be meal replacements. If all you want is whey protein (which is what that is and is NOT meant to be a meal replacement) there are TONS of options out there. The one I use costs $45 for a tub of 77 servings and is absolutely delicious.