Where to start? I'm lost.

Options
I don't really exercise, but I want to! I'm not sure when to find the time... When I do exercise I get all sweaty and gross so I can't do anything afterwords but take a shower. Also, I don't know where to start... should I just run? Should I lift weights? Should I do classes? I'd love to be able to run and one day maybe tackle a marathon... but that seems like such a dream. I feel lost in a sea of skinny athletes... When and how do you work out? Help me :wink:

22596534.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Replies

• jennisajoy
    jennisajoy Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have heard great things about Couch to 5K. I am doing the 30 day shred with Jillian Michaels. :)

22662113.png
  • hauer01
    hauer01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    You just start! You set up the time for yourself and you stick too it. You have to decide that this is more important than the rest of the crap going on in life and you take the time to do it.

As far as what to start with? That is up to you. Everyone is different. If you want to run a marathon, maybe look at the Couch to 5K app. I have never done this, but I have read about a lot of others on this site that have used it with great success.

I wish you luck.

15878158.png
  • countrygirlatheart0717
    countrygirlatheart0717 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I have been slowly switching over to Paleo Diet - all "clean" and healthy recipes ... no grains/pasta. Very quick, cheap and flavorful. I only eat/drink what's approved by Paleo. For exercise I do the Kinect Dance central, Jillian Michael's dvd's, and the elliptical. I switch up my workouts so I don't hit a plateau. I would recommend any dvd by Jillian Michael because it's only 20 min and it's a great way to burn a lot of calories quickly! Just shower after if you're worried about sweating ... just remember sweat is a good thing ... it means the fat is going away! :)

Once my knee injury heals I am going to do 30 day shred, killer buns and thighs and 6 week 6 pack. I do a different dvd each day to spice things up! :) Hope this helps you!

P.S. My food diary is open if you'd like to look at it and get ideas for healthy eating ... you can always ask me anything too.
  • Ondreacrandall
    Ondreacrandall Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I work out with a combination of cardio and strength training. All of my working out is at home and I do best at night or first thing in the morning. (where I can take a shower afterwards). Some people have a schedule of when they do what, but I don't. I have an elliptical machine that I use roughly 3 times per week. I have weights that I lift just about every day. I take power walks, run in place in my living room, etc. The key is to keep moving! If you have a crazy schedule, take whatever moments you have to move, whether it's jogging in place for 5 minutes, jumping jacks, taking the stairs when possible... and remember, baby steps!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I had not exercised in years! So, I started slow. My goal was 60 minutes per week (logged on a spreadsheet ... or use a calendar). I started off with a treadmill & a couple of 10 Minute Solutions DVD. Every few weeks, I added more minutes. Now, I am finally a regular exerciser.

Using small doses, made it "doable," it's was also habit forming. Find something you like to do ..... and you will look forward to doing it. Exercise videos were good for me because I could change them up regularly. Netflix has a ton for rent & a few instant streaming. Your local library will have some too.

Before purchasing videos I go to collagevideo.com to look at clips or reviews. That way I can see what equipment is needed, if it's high impact, or if the choreography is "doable."
  • Blaqk19
    Blaqk19 Posts: 10
    Options
    I'm having the same troubles. Glad to have you as a friend along the way!
  • soontobesam
    soontobesam Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Oh girrrrrrrl.

Being a hot and sweaty mess is your ultimate goal. When I first started I was more or less the same way and now i'm not drenched in sweat I get pissed off.

Sweat is your fat crying!

It's hard to know where to start but you just need to start moving!! I started with walking alone and I'm up two 4+ miles EVERDAY (could probaby go more but I just do two laps around the park near me). 3 out of thoe 7 days I do the C25K program as prescribed and 1 of those 7 days I do back to back C25K sessions (when I complete one week and am about to move up to the next week).

There is A LOT of information out there and you should really spend some time learning about how MFP sets up there system as well as understanding your TDEE and BMR and what your net means. Everyone is a little different and somethings may work for you that don't work for someone else and vice versa.

Start doing some reading and more importantly START MOVING and GET SWEATY!
  • msudaisy28
    msudaisy28 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    If you want to become a runner I recommend the Couch to 5K program. I've never been a runner (always had to walk parts of that dumb mile run in HS gym class...) and being overweight made it worse, but I finished the progarm in about 3 months (took longer than they have listed as I repeated some weeks to gain strength/stamina) about a year ago. Now, it did NOT make me like running, so after I did a 5k race last June I haven't run since...

I really enjoy yoga classes, but they are expensive and can be time consuming. I try to find groupons for them and do them after work on days when I have someone lined up to care for my daughter. Then I would go home and shower right away (this saves time in the morning before work too since I wouldn't have to shower again!). Right now my schedule is tight after work (hubby's studying for the bar exam - eek!) so I am doing Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred in the morning before showering and getting ready for work. It's 22 minutes per workout and kicks my butt!

I also try to walk at least 7,000 steps/day. I wear a pedometer religiously and if it looks like I'm not going to make it to my goal by the end of the night I will walk around my living room and dining room while I'm catching up on the DVR at night. Walking is a great way to ease into exercise!

Good luck!
  • Cuddlebug12
    Cuddlebug12 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem and I want to lose my baby weight. I just had my second baby 3.5 months ago. I have decided to walk every day at least 20 minutes and I do weights... I do 5 lb weights to start and my husband suggested doing chest, shoulders and biceps one day and the back, legs and triceps another day... a day of rest in between where I would just do cardio, I've just started so I'm hoping to see results in about a month of so.

Hope this helps!!
  • mattneafie
    mattneafie Posts: 3
    Options
    Cardio and weights, as mentioned above. C to 5k is excellent for a cardio routine. Any HIIT will do wonders. Aiming for 4-5 days of that and 3 days of lifting is solid. Lifting should be compound lifts and can be down with/without actual weights. Body weight squats, pushups, pullups, ect.