I ran my first mile!

Options
cb83580
cb83580 Posts: 136 Member
Okay, so it was yesterday, but I'm still thrilled about it.

Never in my entire life have I ran a mile. The end of the school year and the presidential fitness tests always terrified me each year from grade school through high school because we had to tackle that mile at the end. I was always last or one of the last ones in and did more walking than anything.

Yesterday, I ran for a mile straight! It was slow, but it counts. I've put in over 50 miles of walking/jogging in the last two months on the trail and treadmill and most recently I've been working on improving my average pace per mile while doing three.

4.8 mph seems to be my sweet spot. At 5.3mph, I could barely go 3 minutes or about 1/5 to 1/4 of a mile without stopping to walk. Yesterday, I decided to decrease the pace to 4.8 and see if I could go a little longer....success! I walked the first .15, then ran until 1.15! Then I finished up the rest of the three miles alternating.

To add to that, I've basically reached my half-way point, weight-wise (I haven't logged it yet, though). It's been a good week :)

Replies

• Flyer615
    Flyer615 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I know that's got to be a great feeling. Congrats on the half-way point, as well. Hang in there. It just gets easier.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Congrats!
  • RMuske
    RMuske Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I remember the first time I ran a mile without stopping, it felt so amazing. Congrats! Keep up the good work. :drinker:
  • kmel2479
    kmel2479 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Nice job! That's great to hear and very motivating:)
  • teenasbody
    teenasbody Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    That is AWESOME!

Cheers!
  • kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Nice work! Slow running is still running...I have to remind myself of that from time to time too:flowerforyou:
  • gseburn
    gseburn Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Nice "Milestone" (groan) good job!
  • lauras777
    lauras777 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!!! That's quite an accomplishment!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • rahrahrita
    rahrahrita Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    That's awesome!!
    I need to do that. I haven't ran a timed mile in over 5 years.
  • Jezebel9
    Jezebel9 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    wow... I know that feels good. Great job!
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    That is brilliant! It's the best feeling in the world, when you realise that all those years of school exercise were just misguided, and actually, yes, you *can* run.
  • prsusa38
    prsusa38 Posts: 29
    Options
    Congrats...the best part is you did it at your own pace. Keep the the hard work, before you know it you will be running a 5k race.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    CONGRATS!!!! I just did my first 2 miles yesterday and was pleasantly surprised that I went 4.7 mph. Usually the first few times I increase my distance I have to drop down to 4.5. My goal is to run a 5K at 5 mph. I don't have lofty goals LOL.
  • JVandesteeg
    JVandesteeg Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Congrats to you!! I remember when I ran my first mile...It was the BEST feeling in the world!! You're only gonna get better from here!!! WTG!!!
  • rds532
    rds532 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Great post! Good for you. I just started C25K last night and I can't WAIT until I can say this!
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    In your honor, I am happy dancing in my seat. Your post = THAT is what it is all about! Great work!
  • Tanya8373
    Tanya8373 Posts: 16
    Options
    Congratulations!! I cannot wait to be able to run a full mile without stopping to catch my breath!! It has been only 3 months since I started "slogging" (slow jogging) and I am slowly getting there! Thanks for the inspiration to keep going!
  • PJGee
    PJGee Posts: 1
    Options
    i ran for the first time today - not very far! you've inspired me to keep going..
  • LoggingForLife
    LoggingForLife Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Awesome, the first one is the hardest!
  • MarthasVineyard
    MarthasVineyard Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I've never run a mile. I think you just motivated me to set a new goal for myself. Keep up the good work!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!