A little stomach help please

Options
Just looking for some ideas to help..... My first 15 pounds were pretty quick to go and I feel so much better about myself, my goal for the months of May and June is to work on stomach fat.... Just looking for any ideas on helping tone this area- I've been doing roughly 50 crunches a day along with various machines to work abs at my gym 5 days a week. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Crunches or any other ab exercise will not cause fat loss from your abdomen. Ab exercises are fine to do to strengthen the area.

In short, keep losing weight and eventually you will lose from that area as well.
  • Rethinkmyname
    Options
    Planks! There are a lot of yoga positions that really work out your core, upward and downward facing boat also help a lot :) This will help tone, but abs are made in the kitchen, it'll come off when you lose the weight, there's really no such thing as target weight loss unfortunately
  • Missi3601
    Missi3601 Posts: 264
    Options
    thanks
  • luvinlife2012
    luvinlife2012 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Fitness hoops will take 2-4 inches off your waist per month, I got mine at http://www.amazingfitnesshoops.com, they are weighted with water and padded for comfort and are a serious cardio/core workout while strengthening your abs. I have 50 pounds to go and can already see definition.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,269 Member
    Options
    Sorry hun... but you can't spot reduce. You need to keep losing fat overall and sooner (or later) it will come off the tummy. It will happen, but a lot of it is genetics as to how much you lose in specific areas. Now, there is nothing wrong with doing core exercises to strengthen the area (this will also help posture which will make that area look better), but it alone will not cause that area to decrease.
  • Srmmelson
    Srmmelson Posts: 31
    Options
    Crunches or any other ab exercise will not cause fat loss from your abdomen. Ab exercises are fine to do to strengthen the area.

In short, keep losing weight and eventually you will lose from that area as well.

This is great advice, and what I have seen to be true as well. It's really too bad we can't just point and click away fat from certain areas though!
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Overall calorie deficit and patience!
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Fitness hoops will take 2-4 inches off your waist per month,

Actually this is just another exercise. The hoops themselves are not causing your inch loss in your abdomen. The calories you burn from exercise combined with the calories you eat are creating a deficit that is causing you to lose bodyfat.

You could accomplish the same through other exercises.
  • greasygriddle_wechnage
    greasygriddle_wechnage Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Fitness hoops will take 2-4 inches off your waist per month,

Actually this is just another exercise. The hoops themselves are not causing your inch loss in your abdomen. The calories you burn from exercise combined with the calories you eat are creating a deficit that is causing you to lose bodyfat.

You could accomplish the same through other exercises.

sidesteal, you're so darn logical. :glasses:
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,269 Member
    Options
    Fitness hoops will take 2-4 inches off your waist per month, I got mine at http://www.amazingfitnesshoops.com, they are weighted with water and padded for comfort and are a serious cardio/core workout while strengthening your abs. I have 50 pounds to go and can already see definition.

I have 50lbs to go and can already see changes too (7 inches off my waist and 5 off my hips).... from eating better, losing weight (fat), and basic core exercises. You don't need any specific hoop or workout to do it.
  • Missi3601
    Options
    thanks everyone
  • lowpro1983
    lowpro1983 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I agree - (unfortunately, I have the same problem!)....cardio and good diet to lose the fat - ab exercises like the plank are good for strengthening the muscles!
  • middlewhitford
    Options
    It is another exercise, yes, but it's one that will help to tone and shape the lateral muscles and thus help improve the body shape ever so slightly. Callanetics works on the same principal, you just have to keep it up to maintain the definition as the muscles return to their normal state really quickly if you miss a couple of days.

But it is a brilliant cardio workout as well, and super fun (if you can do it - I can't!)

Good luck
  • Missi3601
    Options
    thanks!