how to measure progress without the scale!

Hello everyone!

So, I am a little wary of measuring my success/lack thereof with the scale. I find the number just makes me upset and demotivates me altogether. Does anyone use another method to measure their progress?
I've lost 70 pounds thus far and am looking to lose another 15 and tone up.

Maybe a body fat ratio index or something? I think this would be the best measure, but I have no clue how to calculate this!

(Feel free to share advice, I'm really struggling to find a way to keep track or my progress)

Gabrielle

Replies

• Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    3 point measure with tape.
    Google it!

Fat to Fit Military body fat calc.
    Google it!

GNC's Accumeasure calipers.
    Buy them for $20

Judging by your pic you look like you should be close to goal but if you have any questions send a PM.
  • JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    Other ways I measure progress without the scale:

Amount of sweat after a workoout.
    Did I lift more / Run further / Run faster etc. then I did last time?
    Keep track of your body measurements
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Measurements, how clothes fit, and photos.

According to the scale, I'm the same weight as I was a year ago, and about 9 pounds up from my low weight in October. Photos, measurements and clothes tell a different story.

And fitness progress, too. Running longer or faster, lifting more, etc.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    I'll post this here, though I also started a topic with the same info. I ran across this website and it seems very helpful, with both diagrams and videos for measuring using caliper and/or measuring tape. Hope this helps!

http://www.linear-software.com/online.html
  • mattneafie
    mattneafie Posts: 3
    I use calipers and measuring tape as must have suggested. The link that brass98 posted seems excellent. Use of the 7 point test gives a decent account of body fat. Too bad I have no idea if I ever do it right or just carrying a lot more body fat than I thought.
  • get_fit_Milena
    get_fit_Milena Posts: 32 Member

According to the scale, I'm the same weight as I was a year ago, and about 9 pounds up from my low weight in October. Photos, measurements and clothes tell a different story.

AMEN!
  • get_fit_Milena
    get_fit_Milena Posts: 32 Member

Thank you for saying this. I am almost to the point of scrapping the scale for maybe a month at a time, since even though I say "pay no mind! your are losing in inches" to myself, it still gets me down if I go up at all.