How can I break a plateau?

Options
I've definitely hit a plateau. I've only got, I'd say, about 7 lbs or so left to lose. I'm really at a loss here. And the most frustrating is that I find when I don't exercise and don't count calories, I seem to lose weight and think that I've broken this plateau so I get all excited and become very vigilant once again with my exercise and calorie intake. Then I'll step on the scale again and it would appear that I've gained a lb or two. Does anyone have any suggestions for how I can lose this last little bit? I'm tired of bouncing around losing the same 3 lbs over and over again...

Thanks

Replies

• holly333
    holly333 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I've definitely hit a plateau. I've only got, I'd say, about 7 lbs or so left to lose. I'm really at a loss here. And the most frustrating is that I find when I don't exercise and don't count calories, I seem to lose weight and think that I've broken this plateau so I get all excited and become very vigilant once again with my exercise and calorie intake. Then I'll step on the scale again and it would appear that I've gained a lb or two. Does anyone have any suggestions for how I can lose this last little bit? I'm tired of bouncing around losing the same 3 lbs over and over again...

Thanks
  • darlenebull
    Options
    Congrats on having only 7 lbs to go, great job!!:smile: What I understand about hitting a plateau is that your body has adjusted to your routine. You may want to change your excercises completely. Do a completely different workout. If you usually use a treadmill, use the bike instead, if you take a particular class, try a new one. I had great results by constantly keeping my body guessing. Maybe this will work for you. Good Luck!:flowerforyou:
  • teetsel4
    teetsel4 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I agree, you have to mix it up. Keep your body confused. Also make sure you are eating enough calories. I was on a horrible plateau for months, only to find I was not eating enough. As soon as I did, I lost!
  • GemFB
    GemFB Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Mess with yer system a bit. Go over yer cal count and then under...It might jump start...

Congrats on being almost there!
  • KrisKabob
    KrisKabob Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    These comments are definitely right! Mix it up!

Exercise - If you usually jog for exercise then do the eliptical... or don't even go to the gym at all. Go hiking or walk at a park that offers you a challenge. If you don't usually lift weights then start. If you already lift weights then change your weight amount or do more sets. The more muscle you have the calories you burn!

Also, look at the foods you eat and change them a bit - keep your absolute favorites but change things you can do without. For instance, if you usually have a Thomas Light Multi-grain English muffin with LF peanut butter and banana slices then opt to have the muffin with a Kraft FF cheese slice and a slice of Canadian bacon, etc.

Your body has gotten use to your routine... change it and your body will change. Good luck and Congrats on only being 7lbs away!!! That's great!
  • holly333
    holly333 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the help!
  • MontanaGirl
    MontanaGirl Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    You said that when you quit counting calories and quit exercising you lose weight. Maybe you aren't eating enough calories when you are counting and exercising. Make sure you eat your exercise calories and if you have been, maybe you need to up your total intake a couple hundred calories or so. That may break your plateau for you!! Good luck
  • cajunforfun
    Options
    Also watch the sodium in the foods you eat while counting calories. Remember every 16 oz of water weights a pound. Many diet foods add a lot of salt for flavor and you gain weight even when your lossing fat. Also when you diet you tend to eat less and do not clear your colon as quickly which can be a few pounds. Additionally for every gram of glucose in the blood stream you will add 4 grams of water. So eating more carbs can make you add weight that flushed out of the system quickly as the carbs are reduced or you exercise. Just a few thoughts. If you weight several times a day over a couple of weeks you will see that you will fluctuate by as much a five pounds within a day. Stay on your program and you will see the trends downward.. Review your logs on the days that your weight is down. Is there a consistency. I note that I can lose a couple of pounds with I eat unsalted peanuts that I shell myself. I know it is not the reduction in calories!