What would you do?

Options
Okay, I need advice...

I was doing my 30DS this morning, felt pretty good, so started up Jillians Burn Fat Boost Metabolism right after. Now that video involves some jumps, and as you all know, 30DS has jumping jacks and jump rope. Well, I was about 20 mins into working out when there was a knock at the door. It was the lady from the apartment below me. She says "oh, you are working out. Well, we can hear you really loudly downstairs, so could you "step lightly" when you work out." I was so winded and out of breath all I could do is nodd. After I cooled down, I realized, this is going to be a problem. It wasn't really early, it was almost 8am by the time I finished. Well, my thing is, I DO NOT plan on stopping my DVDs. I understand where she is coming from, but we had neighboors downstairs before (this lady just moved in I think) and they NEVER complained. I almost feel like laughign and telling her, "well, once I get skinnier maybe you won't hear me jumping so much." I am NOT going to stop. And Jillian's workouts aren't really "step lightly" type of workouts. So I don't know what to do.

What I DID do is call the apartment office and told them about the situation. I told them that I do not plan on stopping. Its only for 30-40 mins in the morning. I asked if maybe we can negotiate something? Maybe if she could just deal with it for 30 mins in the morning. She didn't look like she was sleeping. She had her sunglasses, purse and keys in hand as if she was about to leave. So I dont' think I woke her up. The person who answered the phone said "I think we will be able to work something out. I will talk to the manager about your situation."

Did I handle that the right way? I don't want to start a bunch of drama, but I don't want to sacrifice my workout times. I have no other time to do them.

What would you do?

Replies

• myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you did it perfectly. You've acknowledged the neighbor's complaint, and informed the landlord that there is an issue.

What I'd do next is approach the neighbor, let them know that you need to do your workouts for your health, but see if you can mutually come to a time that you can work out but will disturb them less (for example, you said the neighbor was getting ready to leave. Is it possible for you to move your workout just a bit later so they'll generally be gone by the time you get into the jumping stage?)

I'm not saying you have to completely cave, stop your exercises, or anything like that, just see if you can do the neighborly thing and find an accommodation that you both can easily live with. If you can't, try purchasing a cheap exercise mat that might muffle the sound a bit and see if that helps. Work with them and keep the lines of communication open if you can.

If it becomes a real issue, you have to find out when the "quiet hours" are for your apartment building. You have the right to live a normal life, and exercise is part of that life. I've lived in my share of downstairs apartments, and noise from above is part of the package. I've always talked to the upstairs neighbors and we've always found a way to work things out amicably

One neighbor had a subwoofer on his floor that would make DEAFENING sounds in my apartment, I asked him to leave his radio on and come down for a cup of coffee - he had one listen and said "holy crap, I'm sorry!" and put the sub up on a piece of furniture on a rug. Result: He had basically the same sound from his stereo without turning the whole complex into a sounding board. I baked him a batch of cookies in thanks, and we got along just fine.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I think you did the perfect thing. You didn't create any confrontational situation with her, you got the proper authority on this matter involved, and your position (I'll exercise as I see fit in my apartment during regular daytime hours) is perfectly reasonable.

Good luck!
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I think it's right to do a compromise however saying I only do it for 30 minutes in the morning and I'm not stopping is not the way to go.

Apartment living is a give and take and you do have to compromise. Maybe try to do your exercise at a different time. Doing it in the morning can be tough for those around you as they may sleep at that time, have shift work, etc etc.

I live in an apartment as well and when I do workout videos I will not do them in the morning or too late at night. While you have the right to do what you want in your apartment you should be considerate of those around you. I'm not trying to be mean about it.... I used to live below someone who did workout videos in the morning and told me when I complained that "it's only 30-45 minutes so deal with it because I'm not stopping them" ... all I asked was they do it a little later as I worked shifts.

While noise is a part of apartment living compromise is as well. LIke someone else posted.. see if maybe she works straight days and see if starting your workout a bit later would work better.
  • SirBen81
    SirBen81 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    8am is pretty early. I'm loud at various parts of the day, but I try to keep it between the hours of 10am and 8pm, so I know no one is trying to sleep.
  • mallory3411
    Options
    8am is pretty early. I'm loud at various parts of the day, but I try to keep it between the hours of 10am and 8pm, so I know no one is trying to sleep.

I have to agree with the above that I didn't add to my post.

When you are finishing your workout just before 8am that is early to most people. The lady downstairs may of heard you earlier, got worken up etc but didn't come upstairs until she was leaving.

Depending on where you are there are noise bylaws. Where I am you can be fined for noise before 10am and after 10pm including those within your own home.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I think you did the right thing. Maybe talk to your neighbor and ask her what times are good and explain it's only for X amount of time...
  • Pakitalian
    Pakitalian Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I am just going to see what the manager says. I understand where she is coming from, but I don't have any other time. I have to leave by 8:30. I am sure the manager is going to have a little meeting between the both of us and we will figure something out.
  • mallory3411
    Options
    I am just going to see what the manager says. I understand where she is coming from, but I don't have any other time. I have to leave by 8:30. I am sure the manager is going to have a little meeting between the both of us and we will figure something out.

You may end up having to find another time... If you have to leave by 8:30am than you may be forced to find another time during your day if there is noice bylaws.
  • Pakitalian
    Options

You may end up having to find another time... If you have to leave by 8:30am than you may be forced to find another time during your day if there is noice bylaws.

Well, I get home at 7:30pm and she will have a problem with that time also. So, I will just see what the manager says
  • Pakitalian
    Options
    Just looked it up:

For Dallas, Tx, the "hours" are between 10:30 pm and 7:00am. Still am going to speak with the manager. But, I am following the law.
  • mallory3411
    Options
    Always a good thing to know the by laws where you are... different everywhere.

Find out what her schedule is like. 7:30pm may be better for her to deal with the extra noise than before 8am as she may be sleeping or have children etc etc.

As you would expect her to be courteous to you (as you'd expect of everything within an apartment building) be courteous to her. Apartment living is a give and take... you have to make compromises away from what works the best for you sometimes.

Good luck
  • SirBen81
    SirBen81 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    7:30pm would be waaay better then 7:30am. That would suck to be woken up each morning at 7:30am.
  • Discoveri
    Discoveri Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I've lived in my share of downstairs apartments, and noise from above is part of the package. I've always talked to the upstairs neighbors and we've always found a way to work things out amicably

One neighbor had a subwoofer on his floor that would make DEAFENING sounds in my apartment, I asked him to leave his radio on and come down for a cup of coffee - he had one listen and said "holy crap, I'm sorry!" and put the sub up on a piece of furniture on a rug. Result: He had basically the same sound from his stereo without turning the whole complex into a sounding board. I baked him a batch of cookies in thanks, and we got along just fine.

This^. We had a problem in our last apartment with our next door neighbors holding late night parties during the week. We asked them to tone it down and baked them some lasagna when they complied.
  • JulieF11
    JulieF11 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I think you did the right thing in calling the manager, so they are aware that you are concerned with making it work too. It's an apartment... walls are thin. What can you do???

I had a couple living above me who's bed squeaked loudly every night keeping me up, and sometimes waking me up, but I'm sure they were just dating or newly weds... I never said anything to them since that would have embarrassed them. Anyway, that's life.... I bought a white noise machine to tune it out as best I could. I could still hear them, but it allowed me to get sleep.

Maybe they'll offer her a new place and move her to a top floor. Bottom floors get the most noise issues.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but I have to go with 8AM being a BIT too early for jumping around in an apartment.