FITBIT

Options
I had broken my fitbit before it could be linked to mfp. I plan to replace it but I have a question.
Does all the info import, sleep included?

Replies

• nannabannana
    nannabannana Posts: 787
    Options
    You add what you want ..I do not log my sleep...there is so much to learn for me everyday with a problem..but eventuallly I get it..
  • nannabannana
    Options
    You add what you want ..I do not log my sleep...there is so much to learn for me everyday with a problem..but eventuallly I get it..

Like my pc waws down....gdaughter repaired...so we thought..Today it is not logging my steps...anyone have that answer?
    bump for answers later.
  • kelhun1
    kelhun1 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    The two sites share information. I still log my food on MFP because it's what I'm used to, and it sends a summarized total to the fitbit site. Fitbit in return sends over "exercise" info to MFP. Anything you burn over you bmr (basal metabolic rate) automatically gets added into the exercise category and MFP gives you those as "earned exercise calories". Any additional workouts are also sent to MFP. I don't believe MFP has a category for sleep, so that information is strictly on the fitbit site. Be aware there may be a few minutes delay between the two sites when you sync your fitbit. ***My first fitbit bit the dust too...Luckily I bought it at Best Buy and for a few extra dollars, I bought the extended warranty. They were great about exchanging it.
  • kelhun1
    Options
    Is it keeping track on your actual fitbit and just not updating to the site? Try restarting your browser. If that doesn't work completely restart your computer. You'd be surprised at how often this works for people.
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Whatever data you synchronized to your FitBit account before it broke should still be there. When you get your replacement and register it to your existing FitBit account, you'll start to get new data as well.

You can link your FitBit and MFP accounts at any time, even if your actual FitBit device is broken.
  • fishergreen
    fishergreen Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    The two sites share information. I still log my food on MFP because it's what I'm used to, and it sends a summarized total to the fitbit site. Fitbit in return sends over "exercise" info to MFP. Anything you burn over you bmr (basal metabolic rate) automatically gets added into the exercise category and MFP gives you those as "earned exercise calories". Any additional workouts are also sent to MFP. I don't believe MFP has a category for sleep, so that information is strictly on the fitbit site. Be aware there may be a few minutes delay between the two sites when you sync your fitbit. ***My first fitbit bit the dust too...Luckily I bought it at Best Buy and for a few extra dollars, I bought the extended warranty. They were great about exchanging it.

Thanks for this. I haven't invested alot of time reading this site's rules so I didn't know how MFP figured out my exercise calories coming from fitbit.
  • raindancer
    raindancer Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys,
    I plan to get another one. Maybe I'll hint for Mothers day...:laugh:
  • nannabannana
    Options
    Is it keeping track on your actual fitbit and just not updating to the site? Try restarting your browser. If that doesn't work completely restart your computer. You'd be surprised at how often this works for people.

Thants what my grandaughter told me earlier..cause pc had minor problems..thank you.
  • kelhun1
    Options
    Well, I was wrong. MFP DOES track your sleep minutes. If you go to log your weight and measurements...down at the very bottom is "Fitbit tracked sleep minutes" (and Fitbit steps too) That means you can also go to reports and get a graph of your sleep minutes. Thanks for your question...learned something new!
  • MjDavis1981
    MjDavis1981 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I haven't got one, but I did look at them at Best Buy the other day. Are they worth the price?
  • dlwyatt82
    Options
    I haven't got one, but I did look at them at Best Buy the other day. Are they worth the price?

Good question. If it motivates you to get more active (which it seems to do for some), then definitely. If it helps you eat the right amount of food for weight loss, and you might have otherwise had a harder time, then probably yes as well.

If you would have done fine losing weight without it, then it's just a cool little gadget. But I'm a geek, and I like those kinds of things. :laugh:
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit. It does give MFP the sleep data, but I have yet to figure out what MFP does with it! It might be found under reports? Dunno.

It has really helped me learn my sleep patterns! Nights I think I slept well and woke up tired anyway I find out I was dancing a jig in my sleep, looking at the fitbit site. Really helpful!

Totally worth the price!
  • dlwyatt82
    Options
    I love my fitbit. It does give MFP the sleep data, but I have yet to figure out what MFP does with it! It might be found under reports? Dunno.

It has really helped me learn my sleep patterns! Nights I think I slept well and woke up tired anyway I find out I was dancing a jig in my sleep, looking at the fitbit site. Really helpful!

Totally worth the price!

Little bit off-topic, but if your sleep efficiency (as reported by FitBit) is low (should be in the 90s somewhere for most people), ask your doctor to refer you to get a sleep study done. Could be anything from sleep apnea to restless leg syndrome (or whatever it's called), but they have ways to treat most things that could be keeping you from getting a good night's sleep. I finally got diagnosed with mild sleep apnea back in '09, and I can't even describe the difference in how rested I feel since I started using the CPAP (machine used to treat apnea).
  • MjDavis1981
    MjDavis1981 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I would like to know how many steps I take during the day and such. I teach Kindergarten, and I think it would be interesting to see just how much I move during the day.

I also never feel rested. So I think the sleep data would be very beneficial to me.