Traveling and Fast Food

Options
Hi!

I only just started my diet this week, and alas, we'll be going on a six plus hour long road trip this weekend. We have a seven month old, so I don't really see us stopping at any proper restaurants along the way, especially if he's alseep. I have a feeling we'll be making at least one stop each way at a drive-thru.

Any suggestions on what to order? I remember hearing in the past that most of the salads fast food places offer end up having more calories or fat than expected (more than a hamburger even??)

Maybe I just need to take my own dressing, but eating a salad in the car, on the go could prove to be a bit annoying.

TIA

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Order whatever you'd like to have, it's not like 1 day is totally going to derail your diet
  • SkinnySummie
    SkinnySummie Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    True, but it's been my experience in the past that if I indulge a little here, it's becomes a gateway for more indulgence there.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Subway. It's not bad, and it's everywhere. And no salads are not a bad option when you're eating fast food, just don't order fried chicken salad.
  • MistressOfHate
    Options
    I'd pack a cooler with snacks and drinks and avoid the fast food.
  • Starzy696
    Starzy696 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I had this battle with my ex everytime we were leaving races last summer. Most of the time, I packed stuff as a substitute for a meal when he would stop for fast food. Subway was also a fall back as you could eat healthy there.

Either that or if you order a salad and pick out the unhealthy crap and skip the dressing.
  • ethompso0105
    ethompso0105 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Grilled chicken sandwich, minus the mayo--ditch the bun (or 1/2 the bun) if you can. And forgo the fries--a lot of fast food places have apple wedges or the likes now.

That being said, as much as indulging can be a bit of a gateway, if you're truly dedicated to this lifestyle change, you can convince yourself that indulging this once is okay, but not to do it going forward when avoidable! :)

Have fun!!!
  • OkieinMinny
    OkieinMinny Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Plan ahead - do you know the route and ideas of whats along the way? look up and know what fits in your macros and eat it!
  • poodlelaise
    poodlelaise Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I just got back from a 9 day trip, and lost weight while I was gone. Subway seems to be a pretty safe choice. Just skip the lettuce if you don't want to make a mess in the car!
  • RaeN81
    RaeN81 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Honestly, Mcdonald's salads have come a long way in the past few years and I would recommend them now. Honestly, for between 200-400 calories for a salad that has grilled chicken you won't do much better. They come with a small amount of dressing on the chicken itself, simply do not add any additional dressing from the packets and you are good to go. Top it off with a water or a diet coke and you actually have a pretty good meal for less than 10 bucks. Or, as someone else suggested, a subway sandwich is great too!
  • lindalee0315
    lindalee0315 Posts: 527 Member
    Options

We do this. McDonald's SW grilled chicken salad is good. Without the dressing it's only 299 calories. With dressing, it's 399. It's actually pretty good without the dressing. It's my go-to food when I'm in a hurry; however, not so easy to eat if you're the one driving.
  • aprilgrl27
    aprilgrl27 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem for this weekend...What I think I am going to do is pack a cooler, for both ways. I am going to pack things like fruit, spinach and artichoke hummus (just tried, yum) and a sandwich I can make at home with 98% fat free turkey and cheese. I have to bring snacks for my two little ones and juice boxes for when they ask me every five minutes. lol. Plus, it saves money so that makes me happy :)
  • jdhosier
    jdhosier Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    This is what we do too. Fruits and veggies travel pretty well. Sandwiches will easily make a 6 hour trip with a cooler and some Frozen stuff. You can even freeze water bottles and use that as the cooler.
  • jshaps7
    jshaps7 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I second the packing a cooler - keep healthy snacks and drinks in the car. At least it gives you some backup if you can't find anything healthy.

I love subway and they make it easy to figure out in advance what the nutritional content is of their food and it's customizable.

The hubs is actually a fan of McDonalds chicken, bacon ranch salad but he gets it with the lower fat italian dressing instead of ranch. It's not too bad.

When I have to go out to eat in general I try to have a few favorites I know are safe - like my subway sandwich, or what I'd order at chipotle, or the spicy grilled shrimp at Chili's - stuff like that.

Good luck!
  • allysonb80
    allysonb80 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Go to different fast food wesites and read the nutrition menu. You can pick out a couple of things from each menu that fit in your calories. (ex. Taco Bell al fresco tacos) Most fast food has gotten better about offering healthy options. You just have to research what those options are BEFORE you get there.

The BEST idea is just to pack a cooler with some sanwiches, fruits, veggies, etc. It is cheaper too.
  • Ritzbrit
    Ritzbrit Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I have an Iphone so I use the MFP app on it and I type in the restaurant and look at the list of healthy choices. They are usually salads but they are good!
  • Breezy415
    Breezy415 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Chick-fil-a is a great option if you see one. Their grilled chicken sandwich is really good!! Also a single cheese burger isn't a bad option, and Taco bell has a low fat menu now.
  • jzaz903
    jzaz903 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Plan ahead - do you know the route and ideas of whats along the way? look up and know what fits in your macros and eat it!

This. Most fast food websites have nutritional info on their website, just take a look and make the best decision you can wherever you happen to me.
  • Denfks
    Denfks Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    SUBWAY! Take some good snacks so you aren't starving when you get a chance to stop :)
  • xlolitabandita
    Options
    Lots of fast food places off grilled chicken wraps, yorgurt, fruit, and salads now. Even if you have to order the things off the kids menu, they're are usually healthier options! Also, I suggest taking a cooler with fruit and yogurt, and packing some nuts maybe? I travel often, as my boyfriend is in a toruing band so I know how annoying it can be! I would say avoid food from sheetz, for sure. Even the healthier options like a grilled chicken sandwich can have over 500 calories, much more than the same option at say mcdonalds or wedny's.
  • cctc21np
    cctc21np Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I road trip often and like to pack a cooler with sandwhichs, grapes, crackers, gum, vitamin water, etc. for at least one meal. The other meal is usually fast food - Subway or Taco Bell's Drive Thru Diet are my favs.

You are right about the salads...even if you are carefull about the dressing most are loaded with other not so healthy stuff. If I'm going to indulge, it's going to be on a nice meal when I get to my destination, not a quick bite on the road.

If worse comes to worse and you find yourself in a bind, most places have a grilled chicken sandwhich. (w/o mayo or fries of course!)

Good idea trying to plan ahead!