Running...Where do I start?

Options
khloee1
khloee1 Posts: 90 Member
Hello... I would love to run or jog. But I never have been able to do it! I run out of breath. I would love to get out there and just jog with my dog. Can anyone give me any pointers on where to begin? My brother in law aka Forest Gump....has qualified for Boston so many time....and I cant even make it around the block! HELP pls.

Replies

• a2902c
    a2902c Posts: 96
    Options
    Google "Couch to 5K" - it's a great running plan for beginners.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Google "Couch to 5K" - it's a great running plan for beginners.

^^ Yep.

Running is awesome!
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Many people will say to start with the Couch to 5k. It's a very popular option!

Personally, I started running, walked when I ran out of breath, ran a little more, repeat.

After a week or two, I had enough endurance to run for the chorus of a song, walk for the verse, run for the chorus. Similar principle, but the music was in control then, so I had to run even if I might have stopped and walked when I was in control on my own.

Then, I tried going even slower. Slower than I believed possible. The day I did that, I ran half a mile. The next time, I did a full mile. Less than a month later, 5ks.
  • ipsamet
    ipsamet Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Ditto on the couch to 5k! A few months ago, could barely jog for a minute without wanting to die and this weekend I just did my first 5k. It's a really well put together program. You can definitely do it!
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Many people will say to start with the Couch to 5k. It's a very popular option!

Personally, I started running, walked when I ran out of breath, ran a little more, repeat.

After a week or two, I had enough endurance to run for the chorus of a song, walk for the verse, run for the chorus. Similar principle, but the music was in control then, so I had to run even if I might have stopped and walked when I was in control on my own.

Then, I tried going even slower. Slower than I believed possible. The day I did that, I ran half a mile. The next time, I did a full mile. Less than a month later, 5ks.

You bring up a really good point...

I think a lot of people just starting out think that on the running intervals they have to go all out... it's not like that. I run for up to almost 2 hours straight but do it pretty slowly (10min/mile). If you hold back when you're doing the jogging portions, you won't get as out of breath and will be better able to recover during the walks.
  • MarkMenconi
    Options
    training for a 5k is a great way as the previous have stated. I did it for 3 months and lost 20lbs along with minimal alchohol and watching your claoric input. I can now run 6 miles at a 7 mph pace; I want to lose 20 more!
  • JoannaChristine
    JoannaChristine Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    If you have this in your area, I would say entering a learn to run clinic, 5k , or 10k training clinic at the running room.

I am running a 10k run in June for Cancer so I decided to start the 10k program in March. I had never really run before, a little here and there but nothing serious and was always out of breath.

Well I am happy to say that I just finished a 10k run on Sunday and never in a million years did I ever think I could do it!

I am so happy and actually enjoy running, I can't wait to go again on Friday :)

You can do it! Just put your mind to it, invest in some really good running shoes and socks too!
  • khloee1
    khloee1 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thank you all!! I will check out that "couch to 5k" and will also start to try and get out there....Thank you!
  • bicoastalgirl
    bicoastalgirl Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Another C25K graduate here.