Help! Ideas for intense cardio with limited Ankle mobility

Options
I rolled my ankle yesterday 30 SECONDS into my run (riverbed horse trail). Walked it off and proceeded with my run. Today it's pretty sore and I don't want to run on it but need to get my cardio in. Any ideas on some intense cardio with limited ankle mobility?

Thanks MFP,

Replies

• mrdarcyy
    mrdarcyy Posts: 7
    Options
    Can you jump? There's jumping jacks, mountain climbers, burpees, etc. Or if you want a really great routine, do a set of 5 pull-ups, 10 push-ups, 15 squats and do as many sets as possible for 20 minutes.
  • renwicker
    renwicker Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    ^^^yes.....calisthenics, if done quickly in succession, can easily become a cardio workout. Do a push-up/body weight squat countdown routine. Start at 8 reps each, then 7, then 6, till you get to zero. You'll be feeling it for sure

*if you cant do push-ups because of your ankle, you could always do them on your knees and just put in a few more reps
  • WhatDoesLisa
    WhatDoesLisa Posts: 214
    Options
    OMG, Rest! I know it is annoying but a few days on the couch icing your ankle will get you back to running much sooner than exercising injured. I am the queen of feet problems and this is the best advice that I can give you. I have battled plantar fasciitis too and sometimes you just have to rest.

I once broke my ankle and I wouldn't go to the emergency room. I borrowed a pair of crutches and hobbled around on those for 2 weeks. DUMB MOVE. To this day, I have issues because the bone wasn't properly set.
  • markymarrkk
    markymarrkk Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone....I don't think it's injured enough to completely rest.. but definitely can't run on it. I walk around with some discomfort though. Calisthenics it is !!
  • WhatDoesLisa
    WhatDoesLisa Posts: 214
    Options
    Thanks everyone....I don't think it's injured enough to completely rest.. but definitely can't run on it. I walk around with some discomfort though. Calisthenics it is !!

If I find out where you live, I am stopping by to strap an ice pack on you and tie you down to the couch. I am telling you, if it hurts to walk on it, you are going to make it worse by exercising!
  • markymarrkk
    Options

If I find out where you live, I am stopping by to strap an ice pack on you and tie you down to the couch. I am telling you, if it hurts to walk on it, you are going to make it worse by exercising!

:P
  • migoi357
    migoi357 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Hie theeself to the pool. Swim, rinse, repeat!
  • rjmwx81
    rjmwx81 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Hie theeself to the pool. Swim, rinse, repeat!

I came in to say this. Though, without the Middle English dialect.
  • renwicker
    renwicker Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    hmmmm swimming is a good idea and a great workout! It will def work muscle groups that you may not normally work
  • markymarrkk
    Options
    swimming sounds great! or smashing on my bike, but my only access is to a track and field today
  • Deedsie
    Deedsie Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I may be too late but I injured my ankle today and my friend told me to stand up and do as many punches as fast as possible as long as possible. She said it would raise my heart rate as well as running.
  • tllanes
    tllanes Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    If your ankle is in good enough shape for your to stand on, try kettlebell swings. Even a light 15lb kettlebell can give you a great cardio workout.