Traveling and Fast Food

Options

Replies

• jaxbeck
    jaxbeck Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Do you have smart phone? If so google each place's nutritional info and base your decisions on that. A few months ago we had to go on a road trip & we stayed out of town for 3 days, that is how I was actually able to stay 100% on track
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    First, if you have a smart phone and have the app, make sure you use it to guide your decisions. If you have a smart phone (or even just an iPod Touch) and *don't* have the app, go download it before you leave. It's free, it's a wealth of information and there's no reason to NOT have it.

Second, go out and look at the various fast food websites and look at the nutritional information. Plan ahead as much as you can, know what you want at 2 or 3 places, that way you're not overly confined if and when you stop. There's generally lower-calorie stuff available almost everywhere. My wife and I prefer stopping at places like Panera (where the calories are right there on the big board) or Chick-Fil-A (Chargrilled Chicken Sammich with a fruit cup side is only 500-ish calories), places we know we can get lower calorie items. Just be careful about the sodium at these places, they're usually through the roof and one meal can be more than your daily allotment!

As for the restaurant salads, the issue I have with them isn't so much the calories, it's how deceptive they are, especially for the uninformed (<--- key word right there). Someone may *think* they're eating something good for them, but when you add up the full-fat cheese, full-fat salad dressings, croutons, usually there's bacon on there, and then the protein (of which they never add "just" 4 ounces and usually there's butter involved in preparing it), the calories, fat and sodium can add up quick.
  • SwimKitty
    SwimKitty Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I always do better when I plan ahead.

Wendy's has a cool nutrition facts page where you can look up menu items, personalize them (hold cheese, mayo, etc.) and make up a meal with the items you choose -- http://www.wendys.com/food/NutritionLanding.jsp

I think their chili is a good choice - a large size comes in at only 310 calories, 9g fat, 26g protein, and 10g fiber (helps to keep things moving, especially if you'll be sitting in the car for awhile :)

Make up a menu ahead of time, print it out, and take it with you. That way you won't have to try to decide while you're distracted with hunger.

I always pack some fruit, nuts, water, yogurt, etc., in a small cooler, too.
  • prov31jd
    prov31jd Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I'd pack a cooler with snacks and drinks and avoid the fast food.

^^ THIS is a great way to go! My family is planning a trip to a family wedding in September -- takes over 2 days driving. We've been doing research on healthy not-so-messy travel foods and snacks. Here are a few we've found (clearly some a little more calorie conscious than others):
    Popcorn
    Yogurt & Granola
    Apples & Peanut Butter
    Mini Pita sandwiches (hummus, for example)
    Whole grain crackers
    Natural fruit snacks (no added sugar / color)
    Jerky (Beef, turkey, venison, etc.)
    Grape tomatoes
    Chex Mix
    Olives
    Baby Carrots
    Mini-boxes of raisins
    String Cheese
    Pumpkin seeds / Sunflower seeds
    Hard-boiled eggs

Do an internet search on "healty travel snacks" and you'll find even more suggestions. Good luck!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I love the cooler idea. I do that too. There is no good reason to stop for McDonald's, except "I'm on vacation and I don't care". If you want a better option, make your own food. It's not too difficult to warrant eating at fast food chains :)
  • devonette
    devonette Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    If stopping the car and having a salad sitting down isn't going to work (When our boys were that little, a 6 hour road trip actually became a 9 hour road trip because of diaper changes, feeding them, etc. so we had to stop often anyhow) I would suggest packing your own food in a cooler, food that you know you can eat without making a mess in the car and that will fit within your calorie requirements. Stay away from Starbucks on your travels, though . My husband always gets several coffees or lattes during our long road trips to keep him awake, and last time was the first he paid attention to the calorie count on it! Unbelievably bad!
  • Mom_4_More_Muscles
    Options

^^^ THIS.
  • ImJDLookatME
    ImJDLookatME Posts: 290
    Options
    Do you have a smart phone? Most fast foods have nutrition online that you good look up while on the road.
  • Ali_TSO
    Ali_TSO Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Here are some of my faves :flowerforyou:

Breakfast

McD's:
    Fruit 'n Yogurt Parfait (With Granola) - 150
    Oatmeal W/ Fruit & Maple W/O Brown Sugar - 260
    Egg McMuffin - 300

Lunch/Dinner ----

McD's:
    Honey Mustard Snack Wrap, Grilled Chicken - 250
    Southwest Salad W/ Grilled Chicken, No Dressing (comes with lime slices, use that as dressing) - 290
    Mcchicken Sandwich, No Mayo, 1/2 Bun (Dollar Menu) - 230
    Hambuger With 1/2 Bun - 175

Taco Bell:
    Fresco Chicken Soft Taco - 150
    Crunchy Taco Supreme - 200
    Fresco Crunchy Beef Taco - 150
    Pintos and Cheese - 180

Wendy's:
    Small Chili - 210
    Jr. Bacon cheeseburger w/ no cheese - 300
    Ultimate Chicken Grilled Sandwich, No Sauce, 1/2 Bun - 245
    *steer clear of their high cal wraps*

Burger King:
    Garden Salad With Grilled Chicken W/O Croutons - 230
    Whopper Jr. No Mayo, No Cheese - 260

KFC:
    Green Beans - 25
    Mashed Potatoes W/ Gravy - 120
    Cole Slaw - Individual - 150
    Kfc Chicken - Grilled Leg - 90
    Grilled Chicken Breast - 220
    Grilled Chicken Thigh - 170

Hardee's doesn't have a lot of options for low cal...
  • softballmom33
    softballmom33 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Good option:

McDonalds Chicken Grilled Cesar Salad without croutons is 190 then I use 1/4 pkg of the cesar dressing for 45 calories, and drink water.

Or pack a cooler then you have control of what you eat, everyone suggested some great options.
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options

^^^ THIS.

This. If you want to keep eating healthy don't do the fast food.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    So don't order junk at the restaurants.

Buy some convenient healthy food that will keep well to have with you. Apples. Bananas. Bag up some carrots and broccoli and cauliflower (they do fine without refrigeration, but if you have a small cooler and a cold pack, go for it!). Prepackaged string cheese or "baby bell" cheeses. Peanut butter sandwiches. Meal replacement bars or shakes if you need to. There's TONS of reasonably healthy stuff that keeps well without refrigeration.

Pack your own healthy salad dressing and order a salad with grilled chicken, and use your own dressing.

Whenever my wife and I travel, we take a HUGE bag of healthy snacky foods, and our aluminum water bottles.
  • usedasbrandnew
    usedasbrandnew Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Get a garden side salad (pomegranate vinaigrette) and small chili at Wendy's! Or chili and plain baked potato if you're really hungry... :)
  • forsettii
    forsettii Posts: 29
    Options
    First thing I do when I walk in anywhere.

Do you have the nutritional facts? Then I look a them for something that work / I can live with.

If Part one doesn't work I look around the menu and look for choices then I use the app on my phone to search for the restaurant or something close to it.

And go from there.

My thing now is that if I have a bad meal I will take a walk later tonight so hopefully it doesn't have an adverse reaction to my entire day.

Eat less / move more and track for yourself what you are eating.
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I have a pretty decent sized lunch box that I pack with snacks and maybe a mini meal when we go on longer road trips.
  • lisa46219
    lisa46219 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    A lot of places have decent options, but you really have to look. Most will have some kind of fruit slices as an option for the kids meals which can be bought seperate. Also, Wendy's chili is not bad- small is 210 calories, large 310. If you aren't sure what to get- stick with a kids meal. Starbucks is another great option with lots of locations- the hummus and chicken lunch box is 270 calories and a healthy choice.
  • JoleneCooper
    JoleneCooper Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Here are some of my faves :flowerforyou:

Breakfast

McD's:
    Fruit 'n Yogurt Parfait (With Granola) - 150
    Oatmeal W/ Fruit & Maple W/O Brown Sugar - 260
    Egg McMuffin - 300

Lunch/Dinner ----

Wendy's:
    Small Chili - 210
    Jr. Bacon cheeseburger w/ no cheese - 300
    Ultimate Chicken Grilled Sandwich, No Sauce, 1/2 Bun - 245
    *steer clear of their high cal wraps*

Hardee's doesn't have a lot of options for low cal...

I like these ideas but I'd say @ Wendy's get a baked potato instead of these options. And Hardee's - IDK, but Carl's Jr has a turkey burger that is good!
  • allifantastical
    allifantastical Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Honestly, Mcdonald's salads have come a long way in the past few years and I would recommend them now. Honestly, for between 200-400 calories for a salad that has grilled chicken you won't do much better. They come with a small amount of dressing on the chicken itself, simply do not add any additional dressing from the packets and you are good to go. Top it off with a water or a diet coke and you actually have a pretty good meal for less than 10 bucks. Or, as someone else suggested, a subway sandwich is great too!

I agree with this. When I joined WW a few years back, we used to go to McDonalds and get the Southwest grilled chicken salad and a parfait for 7 points. It is filling and healthy!
  • ChristineDiet
    ChristineDiet Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I've just done a weekend trip away and I made my own food. Roasted some chicken with mixed peppers, onions and garlic in the oven and some plain rice. Just dished them into foil containers just before we were leaving and double wrapped them in foil - they were still warm 3 hours later - and very tasty. I added some cajun spices to mine.

We also took a load of fruit and water.

enjoy your trip away. x
  • heytherestephy
    heytherestephy Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Def Subway or Mr. Sub salads, just skip the heavy dressings (or dressing all together) or have very little italian dressing.

I work at Mr. Sub and our Garden Salad fully loaded with a bit of dressing is extremely low calorie.