Zumba

Options
I am surprised that Zumba is not in the exercise database.

I've been my Zumba time under Aerobics general or dance.

Does these seem suitable?

Replies

• holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    So did I. Didn't know where else to put it.:smile:
  • gr8pillock
    gr8pillock Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I dunno if that one cuts it. I went to a Zumba class with my heartrate monitor on and I blasted through 700 calories in one go. Aerobics didn't come close to reading that when I entered it in... Hmmm...
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Before I had a Heart rate monitor, I used 'Aerobics, dancing, general'

Once I got the HRM I added zumba as my own exercise. I usually average 500-600 calories for an hour.
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    If you don't have a HRM you can use zumbacalories.com and just manually add Zumba in exercise. I had to add Zumba.
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I dunno if that one cuts it. I went to a Zumba class with my heartrate monitor on and I blasted through 700 calories in one go. Aerobics didn't come close to reading that when I entered it in... Hmmm...

I agree....I don't think that cuts it my fitbit measured my zumba this morning at almost 700 also.
  • andreacord
    andreacord Posts: 928
    Options
    I am surprised that Zumba is not in the exercise database.

I've been my Zumba time under Aerobics general or dance.

Does these seem suitable?

I used to use dancing. Now I use www.zumbacalories.com as an estimate. Frankly I know I'm sweating my *kitten* enough to be burning 8-10 calories a minute. My parents need to find that damned HRM for me already :grumble:
  • Dimples1975
    Dimples1975 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Another member shared this link for calculating calories burned during Zumba. Hope this helps!:smile:
    http://www.zumbacalories.com/
  • AllisonMart
    AllisonMart Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I don't have a HRM but I checked on Zumba.com and the calories for Aerobics, General on MFP wasn't even close. I use Aerobics, High Impact and that is much closer for me.
  • misscristie
    misscristie Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Get a HRM - I find Zumbacalories.com to be wildly inaccurate as well.
  • dalessi123
    dalessi123 Posts: 22
    Options
    I LOVE ZUMBA!!! Was also disappointed it wasn't on here. What a great workout!
  • andreaisme
    andreaisme Posts: 43
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'll definitely check out the www.zumbacalories.com : )
  • andreaisme
    Options
    And I should probably invest in a hrm. thanks again!
  • Dimples1975
    Options
    Can anybody recommend a HRM? There are so many out there.
  • misscristie
    misscristie Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Can anybody recommend a HRM? There are so many out there.

I have a Polar FT4 - It was fairly inexpensive and does what I need.
  • Dimples1975
    Options
    Thank you!
  • kzooprincess
    kzooprincess Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Can't wait to go to Zumba tonight!! This will be my fist class since I bought my HRM. I was logging it under dancing-general.
  • andreaisme
    Options
    Can't wait to go to Zumba tonight!! This will be my fist class since I bought my HRM. I was logging it under dancing-general.

Cool! Let me know if there's a difference in calories outcome!
  • kjbbdoll
    kjbbdoll Posts: 86
    Options
    I recently got a fitbit and have found that 'Aerobics high impact' is the closest to what I actually burn doing Zumba.
  • pattimelt1969
    Options
    I'm realy disappointed tin the exercise options. I put zumba under "aerobics - high impact" . The calorie count seemed more realistic.
  • msjones1986
    msjones1986 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone!

I've never been to a Zumba class but I just bought a Wii. My sister has a Wii with Zumba and Zumba 2. I personally think Zumba 2 is awesome. SInce my job consists of traveling and my schedule isn't always set I opted to try Zumba at home (and I wanted to compete with my sister!)

So far I've heard nothing but good things. I've also heard the Zumba workouts on the Wii were just as intense. I personally can't wait to try it out. I use to work out in a gym but I got bored with that and after a while it was a struggle to get through my workouts. Zumba seems like a nice alternative for me.