HOW MANY CALORIES SHOULD I EAT?!

I'm confused on how many calories I should be eating. I'm 5'5, weigh 140 and want to be 130. I have a desk job sitting ALL day. I work out and burn about 2,000 cals a week. What do I need to eat to lose 1.5 lbs a week? Thanks so much!

Replies

• KSCarnivore
    KSCarnivore Posts: 37
    You can burn more or eat less, but 1.5 lbs a week would be about 5,000 calories to eliminate.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    I'm confused on how many calories I should be eating. I'm 5'5, weigh 140 and want to be 130. I have a desk job sitting ALL day. I work out and burn about 2,000 cals a week. What do I need to eat to lose 1.5 lbs a week? Thanks so much!

Thing is, you can't aim for 1.5 lbs a week with only 10 lbs to lose. More likely, you can either cut 20% from your TDEE or aim for 1/2 lb per week. Once a body is close to normal weight, it fights even harder to maintain body fat.

Based on the information, you should be aiming for 1700 calories a day. The biggest thing I would suggest, if you aren't do so already is resistance/weight training.
  • tiffany5839
    tiffany5839 Posts: 104 Member
    I do a total body conditioning class 3 times a week for 75 minutes that involves cardio along with push ups, squats, lunges, burpees, tricep dips and free weight moves. I run/walk on the other 2 days. Trying to figure out how much i eat a day with exercise and how much on rest days?
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    You know that MFP helps you figure this out right?
  • tiffany5839
    I can't imagine it taking 5 months to lose 10 pounds and i don't even think 130 is that skinny. That seems like a LONG time for someone who is already in shape.
  • sid719e
    sid719e Posts: 47
    Are you currently losing right now? If not, you need to either up your activity level, or decrease your calories. When you hit the point that you want, stay with it until you stall and need to change it up again. I don't think anyone is going to be able to tell you how many calories you should be eating.
  • tiffany5839
    I have been stalled for awhile. I don't think I could up my workouts anymore than what i already. I get sooo sore from them, especially my intense classes I take. I wouldn't have time to add in anymore workouts either, that's why i do ones where I burn a lot. Plus I sprained an ankle a couple weeks ago and don't wanna go too crazy. And ah dropping my calories more? I eat about 1500-1600 right now and I'm still hungry!
  • psuLemon
    I can't imagine it taking 5 months to lose 10 pounds and i don't even think 130 is that skinny. That seems like a LONG time for someone who is already in shape.

Well unfortunately, that isnt how the body works. It takes most people 6 months to lose that last 10 lbs. Now what you can do is cut body fat (1-2% a month) with a weight training routine. Now, you may not see your weight go down, but items such as your waistline and clothes will get looser. And if you are in shape, why are you so worried about a number on the scale? Losing weight doesn't always equate to better looks.

Additionally, when you try to lose fast, you tend to lose a lot of muscle and not fat. This will make you more flabby. Below is a good example of what happens when you concentrate on body recomposition as opposed to weight loss.

I am not trying to discourage you, but want you to realize that you are over extending your goals.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/392784-skinny-fat-vs-fit-photo?hl=skinny+fat
  • sid719e
    Have you considered upping the protein? You can add protein powder to many things, and the additional protein may help to keep you feeling fuller longer. These are just suggestions. Since you're stalled, you need to do something different.
  • psuLemon
    So lets look at some math. You estimate BMR is 1457... This is the amount of calories you burn if you slept for 24 hours. I will assume you are sedentary otherwise and you burn 2000 calories in a week.

TDEE = (1457 * 1.2) *7 = 12238 + 2000 = 14238
    CN = 14238/7 = 2034*.8 = 1627

And if you are active during the day then add another 300 calories.
  • sid719e
    So lets look at some math. You estimate BMR is 1457... This is the amount of calories you burn if you slept for 24 hours. I will assume you are sedentary otherwise and you burn 2000 calories in a week.

TDEE = (1457 * 1.2) *7 = 12238 + 2000 = 14238
    CN = 14238/7 = 2034*.8 = 1627

And if you are active during the day then add another 300 calories.

If you're concerned that you can't drop your calories any more, try this. You obviously need to do something different. Just remember, you may gain a little by upping your calories before you start losing again. Doesn't happen to everyone, but you may see some gains first.
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    psulemon is right, the smaller you get, the less you can lose safely / healthily.

unfortunately with shows like the biggest loser, celebrity diets saying X celebrity lost 15lbs in a week eating only lettuce or whatever, people expect to lose huge amounts every week, and think the less you eat the more you lose, but it doesnt work like that in real life!!!!
    You need to fuel your body correctly in order for it to work as it should and drop the lbs.

Im only just losing 1.5 a week, and I weigh over 200lbs.
    With only 10 to go, trying to lose weight quickly will more than likely result in muscle loss and you will end up 'skinnyfat'.
    Sounds to me like you would be better off working on reducing body fat / buidling muscle as this will make you lose inches and fit into smaller clothes, even if you weigh the same.
    Look up 'lorinalynn', she is a great example of what this can do to your figure!