Struggling to Understand Race Pace

Options
I'm a new runner. I've completed Hal Higdon's 5k Novice training program. I'm moving onto his half marathon novice training program. Every other week one of my runs will be at race pace. I'm struggling to understand this concept. So this is supposed to be faster than my usual runs from my understanding and the pace I plan to run the half marathon at? If I'm used to doing my long runs at a slower pace and attempt my half at a race pace that is faster than that, won't I wear myself out by going too fast and be unable to finish? I think I just need a bit of help in wrapping my brain around this concept. Thank you!

Replies

• ElHombre23
    ElHombre23 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Let me BUMP this since I’m attempting a foray into running and have the same question...
  • tausha_k
    tausha_k Posts: 53
    Options
    I am interested in this also! I hope someone can comment!!
  • Lane1012
    Lane1012 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I don't know for certain but I would think it would mean the pace you would be running if you were running a competitive 5K or whatever.

here, try this on for size: http://running.competitor.com/2009/12/training/understanding-your-natural-running-pace_7280
  • shannon_121285
    Options
    If it is your first 1/2 marathon, the goal is to complete.
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Race pace means the pace you are training to run your race at

take your most recent 5k time and put that into McMillan race calculator to determine your estimated HM time

http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/calculator
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    yes.

Run it as you would a race.
    Typically my workout runs will be longer and slower than my races.
    I'll sometimes run at my race pace to figure out were I am at, and if I need to adjust slower or faster.
    Or with intervals, race pace would be your max.
  • jdelot
    jdelot Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I didn't use Higdon's training plan, but the one I used had me thinking the same thing. Most of my long runs were around a 10 min/mile pace, but my race pace was 8:40. However, every week I would have either a tempo run or speed work that was at or faster than my race pace. I couldn't tell you the magic behind it, but I ran my 1/2 Marathon almost 3 minutes faster than my goal.
  • Lane1012
    Lane1012 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    If it is your first 1/2 marathon, the goal is to complete.

depends on who you are, I just ran my first a couple weeks ago and had a timed goal as well. Completing I knew I could accomplish based on the training I'd put in so my goal was not just to complete it. :)
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I didn't use Higdon's training plan, but the one I used had me thinking the same thing. Most of my long runs were around a 10 min/mile pace, but my race pace was 8:40. However, every week I would have either a tempo run or speed work that was at or faster than my race pace. I couldn't tell you the magic behind it, but I ran my 1/2 Marathon almost 3 minutes faster than my goal.

I'm not as fast as you are, but I've done basically the same thing with my races. My race time is always faster than what I think it's going to be or what I've planned for, thank you adrenaline! I think the intervals/speed work really helped with that.

As another poster said though, first half marathon-- goal: finish. At least that's what my goal was! Then my next 2 I tried to work on speed a little more. Next half I do I'm definitely training for time :) Good luck with your first half!!
  • ryno0618
    ryno0618 Posts: 361
    Options
    Race pace to me is what pace you plan to run the race at. Its not necessarily one specific pace. For instance my 5k pace is faster than my 10k pace, faster than my 1/2M pace, etc. Runners World website has an awesome training calculator. Put in any distance and time of completion and it will extrapolate the data giving you training targets for various other distances. it displays projected finish times for races of various lengths and then if ya click the training paces tab it will show you what your training pace should be for long runs vs. short runs, etc. Check it out.

http://www.runnersworld.com/cda/trainingcalculator/0,7169,s6-238-277-279-0-0-0-0-0,00.html
  • Alysgrma
    Alysgrma Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I'm a new runner. I've completed Hal Higdon's 5k Novice training program. I'm moving onto his novice training program. Every other week one of my runs will be at race pace. I'm struggling to understand this concept. So this is supposed to be faster than my usual runs from my understanding and the pace I plan to run the half marathon at? If I'm used to doing my long runs at a slower pace and attempt my half at a race pace that is faster than that, won't I wear myself out by going too fast and be unable to finish? I think I just need a bit of help in wrapping my brain around this concept. Thank you!

Race pace will be faster than normal training pace, however, I have a problem with what you are being asked to do here and the reason being is that when training on your own, it is very different from a race whereby you will "dragged" along, if you like, at the beginning of the race and the sheer adrenalin and other competitors around you will cause you to run faster than you do in normal training.

I wish I could help you with this, but in all my years of running, both racing and training (outside and also inside on the treadmill), I have never run at race-pace during any training sessions.

I am curious now as to other people's opinions on your question.
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    SweatpantsRebellion Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I'm a new runner. I've completed Hal Higdon's 5k Novice training program. I'm moving onto his novice training program. Every other week one of my runs will be at race pace. I'm struggling to understand this concept. So this is supposed to be faster than my usual runs from my understanding and the pace I plan to run the half marathon at? If I'm used to doing my long runs at a slower pace and attempt my half at a race pace that is faster than that, won't I wear myself out by going too fast and be unable to finish? I think I just need a bit of help in wrapping my brain around this concept. Thank you!

Race pace will be faster than normal training pace, however, I have a problem with what you are being asked to do here and the reason being is that when training on your own, it is very different from a race whereby you will "dragged" along, if you like, at the beginning of the race and the sheer adrenalin and other competitors around you will cause you to run faster than you do in normal training.

I wish I could help you with this, but in all my years of running, both racing and training (outside and also inside on the treadmill), I have never run at race-pace during any training sessions.

I am curious now as to other people's opinions on your question.

Well, I am new to this. This is something I got from Hal Higdon's Novice 2 Half Marathon training program. He has a race pace run once every other week - not for the long run though. Here's a link so you can see what I'm talking about.

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51312/Half-Marathon-Novice-2-Training-Program
  • theginnyray
    theginnyray Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I think the training plan is causing you to over think all of this. In a complicated way, your training plan is just saying to run faster once a week.
    It doesn't have to be an exact science (altho a lot of runners would disagree with me on that one!), but pick a day (or whatever your plan says) and just run faster.
    Magically, on race day you'll run faster. And if you've trained properly, you probly won't run out of steam too much.

[Disclaimer: I totally focus on distance, not time. If my time improves, I'm happy, but I mostly focus on how far I've gone.]
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    Options
    I think the training plan is causing you to over think all of this. In a complicated way, your training plan is just saying to run faster once a week.
    It doesn't have to be an exact science (altho a lot of runners would disagree with me on that one!), but pick a day (or whatever your plan says) and just run faster.
    Magically, on race day you'll run faster. And if you've trained properly, you probly won't run out of steam too much.

[Disclaimer: I totally focus on distance, not time. If my time improves, I'm happy, but I mostly focus on how far I've gone.]

Thank you. I do tend to overthink things a bit. I use a HRM for runs. I try to keep my training in the 65-75% range. So this sounds like it might be more 80-85%ish. Does that sound right?
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I followed Hal Higdon's plan and honestly didn't do specific pacing on anything. I just went and ran comfortably and tried to push myself a bit harder each week in my long runs.

But yes, according to how the initial plan is laid out, you run slower than what you plan to run in the race on the days noted as "run" then at the pace you expect to run the race on the days noted as "pace". If there are days noted as 5K pace, then you'd run those the same pace you'd normally do a 5K.

The nice thing about Hal Higdon's stuff though is that he's pretty clear that it's just a guideline to get your started with structure in your training. If you want to change your long run day or swap a strength day for a cross day, he encourages it - as long as you stick to the same schedule through the training. Don't just mix things up or skip stuff on a week to week basis.

Also, there's a forum at his site that you can ask questions on and he'll answer them personally. Since you're using his plans, that's probably a better outlet to get the answers you're looking for, since he'll have more insight on his own training plans. :) He's quick too, never had a delay of more than a half a day or so before I had answers.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I do tend to overthink things a bit. I use a HRM for runs. I try to keep my training in the 65-75% range. So this sounds like it might be more 80-85%ish. Does that sound right?
    Race pace for the 5K should be closer to 90%. It will feel very hard.
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    Options

bump...thoughts on the heart rate ranges anyone?
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Oh, and to echo what others have said, whatever pace I thought I was gonna do any of my races in, I was always faster than that on race day. The crowd and the adrenaline are definitely going to shave some time off.

And I also had a general time goal in mind for my first half, not just to finish it. Just be realistic with it and you'll be fine. :)
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    bump...thoughts on the heart rate ranges anyone?
    Just noticed you are training for a half and not a 5k. Race pace for a half should be generally 85-90% max heartrate if you are well trained aerobically and have done sufficient training at tempo pace. If you are less well trained it may be 80-85%.