dinner idea

Options
My kids and husband are having burgers and mac and cheese. I don't want that. Not because of the whole weight loss thing, but I just don't like burgers and mac and cheese, actually I hate mac and cheese. I would rather go hungry.

It's the day before pay day, and we are struggling this week pretty hard.

I have potatoes. That's about the only veggie I have in the house right now.

I don't just want a baked potato. Any ideas on what I can do to spruce up a plain old potato?

Replies

• angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    ;(

HELP! lol sorry
  • vision2012
    vision2012 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Cut it up and make a stir fry with some of the hamburger meat? Or you could make kind of a breakfast scramble if you have some eggs? If that doesn't sound good and you have some eggs, you could make an eggy potatoe salad?
  • mcknz121
    mcknz121 Posts: 44
    Options
    are you making the mac & cheese from scratch? you could add a little cheese on the potato. A little greek yogurt and some herbs would make it tasty as well, but definitely not a full meal. Maybe add some cut up fruit to that to make it a more complete meal (greek yogurt has lots of protein so you're good on that front). you could also cut up the potato and make baked potato wedges/fries...season em up. hope that helps a little
  • angieleighbyrd
    Options
    Cut it up and make a stir fry with some of the hamburger meat? Or you could make kind of a breakfast scramble if you have some eggs? If that doesn't sound good and you have some eggs, you could make an eggy potatoe salad?

I had a crap ton of eggs for breakfast already. 1 whole egg + 4 egg whites.
  • angieleighbyrd
    Options
    are you making the mac & cheese from scratch? you could add a little cheese on the potato. A little greek yogurt and some herbs would make it tasty as well, but definitely not a full meal. Maybe add some cut up fruit to that to make it a more complete meal (greek yogurt has lots of protein so you're good on that front). you could also cut up the potato and make baked potato wedges/fries...season em up. hope that helps a little

No it's a box. I know horrible.
  • autumnsfalling
    autumnsfalling Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I love throwing some salsa on top of a baked potato, sometimes a little cheese too. Yum. I also second the idea of chopping it up and mixing with some eggs. You can really spice it up too depending on what spices you like and you have on hand.
  • aryastark8
    aryastark8 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hasselback potatoes! Easy and yummy: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/garlic-hasselback-potatoes-with-herbed-sour-cream-recipe/index.html

I usually peel them first, and use greek yogurt instead of the sour cream.
  • autumnsfalling
    autumnsfalling Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you grill, but I love cutting potatoes into thin slices (1/4 inch thick), tossing them with a little oil, and some spices (S&P is fine, but you can really make 'em yummy with other spices too). Throw them on a hot grill for a bit. Flip them when you have nice grill marks on them (if they're sticking they're not ready to flip yet).

I eat them like chips just plain, but my boys love to dip them in ketchup or ranch or whatever we have on the table at the moment. I love these flat grilled "fries". :)
  • KathleenIves
    Options
    cheese! try low fat plain yogurt-salsa boroccli-chili.

you could have some burger on it. I LOVE potatoes!! anyway is great! Ranch dressing is also delcious. you might cut it up and bake/broil it and you are having Texas fries. No salad? paried with a salad is a great pleasing.

fyi-white potatoes have way more carbs and less healthy than sweet potatoes. I love a sweet potatoe, grilled chicken breast and yep a banana...really satisfies the sweet tooth. Natually sweet.
  • charisma103
    charisma103 Posts: 37
    Options
    Why not just eat the hamburger no bun (top with veggies: lettuce, tomato, onion etc) and serve with 1/2 a baked potato or a whole one depending on the size.