Not NEARLY enough iron??

Options
I've only just figured out how to see my iron intake on my food diary, and I realized that I'm not eating nearly enough iron - other than taking supplements, does anyone have any tips on how to increase iron intake?
The lack of iron in my diet is probably what's causing my workouts to feel this rough.
Anyone else with this problem?

Replies

• susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Have you had your bloodwork checked?

I ran my iron numbers back 90 days and they're quite low-ish, I'd say averaging 50-60% of daily value.

I got my bloodwork checked for an unrelated reason and my iron count was right at the top of normal.
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    in general, women working out need about 115% more iron than men. I track mine too.. and I get mine mostly in the form of iron fortified cereals. This is a happy bonus, since I need the fiber in the cereals to start with. And, btw, I did just have my bloodwork checked, top to bottom, and my counts are perfect, so it is important to watch and get enough iron.
  • fittorow
    fittorow Posts: 28
    Options

I ran my iron numbers back 90 days and they're quite low-ish, I'd say averaging 50-60% of daily value.

I got my bloodwork checked for an unrelated reason and my iron count was right at the top of normal.

I haven't recently, but I know when I got my blood done a few months ago for different reasons, my doctor told me that I was slightly anemic. I don't really know what "slightly" means and I never got a look at the charts, but that does mean that I'm not getting enough :/
  • PShep17
    PShep17 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I asked the same thing earlier today. Here's the link to some of the advice I was given. Hope it helps :)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/592576-iron-intake
  • fittorow
    Options
    in general, women working out need about 115% more iron than men. I track mine too.. and I get mine mostly in the form of iron fortified cereals. This is a happy bonus, since I need the fiber in the cereals to start with. And, btw, I did just have my bloodwork checked, top to bottom, and my counts are perfect, so it is important to watch and get enough iron.
    Iron fortified cereals? I'll try that, it sounds great! Do you have any suggestions as to which I should try?
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options

I haven't recently, but I know when I got my blood done a few months ago for different reasons, my doctor told me that I was slightly anemic. I don't really know what "slightly" means and I never got a look at the charts, but that does mean that I'm not getting enough :/

Just checking :)

In addition to eating high-iron food, one way to add more iron (that won't show on the tracker) is to start cooking in cast iron.
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Most women won't be getting enough iron.. and it's an anomaly to have more than enough.. If you have too much iron, that's a liver issue, and very unlikely in the general population. (Not saying it couldn't happen, just saying statistically, it usually doesn't).
  • 0AmyMarie0
    0AmyMarie0 Posts: 315
    Options
    I realized my iron is usually under 50% for the day. After 3 months of eating that way (without realizing it) I had my iron levels drawn and everything is great. I try to make sure I get more iron in now, but it is not easy!
  • Chandibari
    Chandibari Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I take a Centrum Ultra Women's Multivitamin/ Multimineral and one Viactiv calcium chew every morning after breakfast. Gets those numbers right in spec!
  • TequillaLover89
    TequillaLover89 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    My doctor said I was animic when I was like 14 or 15, 22 now, I'm not sure if I still am. Anyway I take flinstone with iron vitamin candy pills. 83% 10 calories. Also, multigrain cherios are like 110 calories per cup and I think 45% iron.

I resorted to flintstone candy pills because the womens one a day pills made me feel sick to my stomach every time..
  • Kissybiz
    Kissybiz Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I have had the same concerns. I eat a lot of spinach and red meat and other foods that naturally contain iron, yet it always shows that I'm really lacking in daily iron percentages on this site. If it's not set up in the database correctly, it won't show up in your daily/weekly totals.
  • fittorow
    Options
    Thanks for the tips, guys. They're really helpful :)
  • kalynn06
    kalynn06 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Also, if you are concerned about iron make sure you get enough B12 and vitamin C so you can absorb the iron you eat. And if you take Calcium, don't take it with an iron rich meal or an iron supplement as large amounts of calcium can reduce iron absorption.