Canada - Low calorie hot chocolate?

Options
Any Canadians out there know of anywhere I could get a good sugar free or "lower calorie" hot chocolate mix? I made an ice mocha today and it was delicious. except 135 of the 153 calories was from the hot chocolate packet and I don't want to be carving out 135 calories daily so I can have it with cofffee!

Replies

• charisma103
    charisma103 Posts: 37
    Options
    I'm not Canadian, but I believe you can buy Swiss Miss Hot Cocoa there? There are Sugar Free and Diet Hot Cocoa mixes. The diet has 25 calories per pouch (calorie bargain!)

I usually add 1 TBSP Marshmallow Cream (20 calories/TBSP)
    2 TBSP Fat Free Redi-Whip (5 Calories per 2 TBSP serving)

I also found that Nestle makes a decent hot cocoa mix and their regular pouches have 80 calories each.

Hope that helps!
  • andreacord
    andreacord Posts: 928
    Options
    Thank you, but no I've hunted extensively (even in the city) for Swiss Miss and I guess it's not sold in Canada =(
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    What about trying Ovaltine? 2 Tbsp of the Rich Chocolate (my favourite) is only 40 calories. AND you get some vitamins and minerals! I make a latte-like drink with 1/2 cup each of coffee, 1% milk, and 2 Tbsp of Ovaltine. Total 91 calories.
  • rachaelgifford
    rachaelgifford Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Over here we have Cadbury's Highlights or Options. They are 40 calories. You just mix with hot water. Do you not have either of them there?
  • shannonshay1
    shannonshay1 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Nestle has one that I buy in Alberta. I think it has 40 or 50 calories per serving. I usually buy it at Walmart or Safeway.

CARNATION Hot Chocolate Light
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I make almond milk hot cocoa with almond milk, cocoa powder and maple syrup.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    Canadia does not have low cal hot chocolate.
  • Fayve
    Fayve Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Yup, I always bought the Carnation Light Hot Chocolate (in with the teas at the grocery store).

Tasted just fine. 45 calories per packet.
  • paeli
    paeli Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Why not try adding a sweetener of your choice and some cocoa? Cocoa powder is 20 cals a tbsp, very low.
  • glennam1
    glennam1 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    NESTLE CARNATION hot chocolate-LIGHT (60% fewer calories)........I've bought it a Superstore, Safeway, Sobeys

Per 3 TBSP
    Calories 45
    Fat 0
    Sodium 120 mg
    Carbs 9 g
    Sugars 8 g
    Protein 2 g

you should be able to find it :)
  • Switty_Kitty
    Switty_Kitty Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I also use the Carnation Light Hot Choc. in my shakes...find it in most grocery stores. Just bought some ovaltine to try today!
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    i have chocolate flavoured casein powder - microwaved. think its the same or more calories but plenty protein.
  • jumpforjoy
    jumpforjoy Posts: 1
    Options
    Try Hot Chocolate Bliss at hotchocolatebliss.com. I know they ship to Canada. They have excellent Lake Champlain all natural cocoa and you can just add milk or soy milk and a little splenda and it is delicious. They do have a Stephen's no sugar added, but it isn't really low in calories (110), but is great for diabetics and people watching their blood sugar. No milk is necessary, however, so it is about the same as adding milk. Hope this helps! I heard they are adding more low calorie versions this fall, so check back then.
  • andreacord
    andreacord Posts: 928
    Options
    NESTLE CARNATION hot chocolate-LIGHT (60% fewer calories)........I've bought it a Superstore, Safeway, Sobeys

Per 3 TBSP
    Calories 45
    Fat 0
    Sodium 120 mg
    Carbs 9 g
    Sugars 8 g
    Protein 2 g

you should be able to find it :)

Thank you!