Help with my skin

Options
So my skin isn't awful - I don't have acne, but I do tend to get red spots, mostly whiteheads in my t-zone where it gets more oily at the bottom of my fringe and nose. I wear a lot of make up to smooth the appearance of my skin as I like a flawless look.
I'm trying really hard with my skin care routine - every morning I use a daily exfoliating scrub followed by 'Simple' cleanser toner and moisturiser. At night I take all of my make up off and again cleanse, tone and moisturise. Without fail.

I seem to get new spots all the time and old ones are all over my face where I squeezed them and the mark is still there. I wouldn't say that I have acne as such - My skin is normal but oily around my nose and gets greasy in the day when I'm running around at work. I get a lot of under the skin painful spots and I have been unwell with the flu lately.

What can I do to help it?

I was even considering a chemical peel as I can't not wear make up as I hate the pink marks on my face left over from old spots.

Replies

• deadbeatsummer
    deadbeatsummer Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    bump
  • deadbeatsummer
    Options
    anyone?
  • aliciakay3086
    aliciakay3086 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    How old are you? Do you drink a lot of water?

To me, it sounds like you could streamline your routine - you may be doing too much. All you really need is a gentle cleanser (like Cetaphil) at night followed by a moisturizer, then rinse in the morning. All that washing may be irritating your skin.

Just an idea. :)
  • mrsgoodwine
    mrsgoodwine Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    How old are you? Do you drink a lot of water?

To me, it sounds like you could streamline your routine - you may be doing too much. All you really need is a gentle cleanser (like Cetaphil) at night followed by a moisturizer, then rinse in the morning. All that washing may be irritating your skin.

Just an idea. :)

^^This^^
  • deadbeatsummer
    Options
    I am 22, and I have quite a busy life to the point where I get ill quite a lot. I don't drink a lot of water, no. It's my massive downfall. Most days I will drink a skinny latte and two diet cokes and a sparkling flavoured sugar free water with dinner and thats it.
  • cinderwolfeh
    Options
    Keeping your pillow nad pillow case clean isa good way to help as well. It wont make it magically go away but heck, woudlnt hurt. Sicne when you sleep all the oila nd dead skin from your face and hair get onto the pillow so washign th epillow case more often will minimize the amount that you are essentially rubbing into your face everynight.

I read somewhere to sleep wih a clean towle on your pillow every ngiht but thats a bit much for me : P

I also had alot fo succes with baking soda masks. Just make a pste out of baking soda and water, cover your face or jsut the problem areas and thne leave it there til it hardens then rins with water. Makes my face super soft and reduces my red spots.
  • deadbeatsummer
    Options
    Thank you I will bear that in mind!
  • violethaze
    violethaze Posts: 13
    Options
    I am 22, and I have quite a busy life to the point where I get ill quite a lot. I don't drink a lot of water, no. It's my massive downfall. Most days I will drink a skinny latte and two diet cokes and a sparkling flavoured sugar free water with dinner and thats it.

Drinking a lot can make a HUGE difference. That sounds like what my typical day used to be - I started drinking 8 glasses of water a day and my skin got better really quickly. I agree with the other posters - keep the skin routine simple and don't overuse masks and peels as it can make it worse!

If nothing seems to be working, go see your doctor. They can be surprisingly sympathetic.
  • iva001
    iva001 Posts: 162
    Options
    DON'T SQUEEZE YOUR SPOTS!!!!!!!
    DON'T TOUCH YOUR FACE , exfoliate 2x a week, use cetaphil the rest of the time.
  • hdsqrl
    hdsqrl Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    You mentioned you wear a lot of makeup - could it be the makeup that's causing it? I've been a huge fan of Bare Minerals for several years and swear by it (I was a liquid foundation fan prior to that, so I totally get the whole "flawless look" thing.) Might be worth trying some different foundations and foundation types to see if that helps at all.
  • Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    You mentioned your forehead and fringe - be careful about hair products getting on your skin while fixing your hair. You might even save your cleansing routine in the morning until after your hair is styled, but before makeup.

Edit to add- make sure your makeup applicators are impeccably clean. Brushes and sponges can distribute all sorts of bacteria around your face.
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
  • peterson_jessica
    Options
    I have the same problem. Birth control helps, but also causes loads of other problems. I have found that the Neutrogena foundations and powders work wonders! I will never go back to any other makeup again. It's great makeup, plus it has acne medication mixed right in. I would definitely give it a try! Also, the Tea Tree line from the Body Shop at Sephora is great as well! Very gentle
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Make sure you always take your makeup off , without fail. You don't need a scrub daily, that can aggravate skin. I would use a gentle foaming cleanser like Cerave, followed by a BHA Lotion (Paula's Choice has a great one) Followed by moisturizer for oily skin and sun screen. At night skip the BHA and find a retinol lotion for oily skin. I agree with don't touch your face, sleep on clean pillow cases. Use fragrance free laundry detergent.

Only use a scrub if your face feels a little rough, i really like Neutrogena Naturals Purifying Pore scrub , it's not too rough and leaves skin soft.

If you don't get the results you want with over the counter products, go see a dermatologist.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    So my skin isn't awful - I don't have acne, but I do tend to get red spots, mostly whiteheads in my t-zone where it gets more oily at the bottom of my fringe and nose. I wear a lot of make up to smooth the appearance of my skin as I like a flawless look.
    I'm trying really hard with my skin care routine - every morning I use a daily exfoliating scrub followed by 'Simple' cleanser toner and moisturiser. At night I take all of my make up off and again cleanse, tone and moisturise. Without fail.

I seem to get new spots all the time and old ones are all over my face where I squeezed them and the mark is still there. I wouldn't say that I have acne as such - My skin is normal but oily around my nose and gets greasy in the day when I'm running around at work. I get a lot of under the skin painful spots and I have been unwell with the flu lately.

What can I do to help it?

I was even considering a chemical peel as I can't not wear make up as I hate the pink marks on my face left over from old spots.

See a dermatologist if you can.

Wear as little makeup as possible. Use only noncomedogenic brands. Wash it off thoroughly (splash your face 30 times or hold your face under the shower for at least a minute).

Too-frequent physical exfoliation may be irritating your skin.

Try a cream with retinoids, which will gently exfoliate.

Assuming a chemical peel is warranted, do not do it yourself. Got to a doctor.
  • womaninashoe6
    Options
    I will echo the posts that say to drink more water. I think that is huge. Save the diet cokes and lattes for treats, not every day.

Something else to think about...your body could be reacting to something in your diet. I have a lot of friends that cleared up skin issues after making dietary changes like going gluten free or dairy free. Talk to a nutritionist. They may be able to help you find out if this could be a contributing factor.

For me personally, my eczema and break outs are significantly reduced when I am eating right, drinking my water, exercising, and getting enough rest.

Hope that helps...
  • cprice05
    cprice05 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    theoilcleansingmethod.com

This is what I use...so easy, so cheap, so good for you.
  • unapologeticallyemma
    unapologeticallyemma Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Also maybe try pinning your fringe back for a week or two, I know if i wear my hair down all week i end up with more spots where my hair sits on my face.