Headaches???

Options
kellysue48
kellysue48 Posts: 24 Member
I have been getting daily headaches really bad since i started this. I know that the major cut in caffeine (soda everyday) could be the withdrawal headaches. But, it has been a month. I would think that withdrawal would be over. Has anyone else experienced this due to changes in eating habits? Does certain artificial sweeteners cause this.? I recently switched to truvia because i heard it was better than the others. Any ideas would really be helpful, thanks!

Replies

• skoshness
    skoshness Posts: 175
    Options
    are you drinking anything else with caffeine in?
  • kellysue48
    Options
    just a coffee in the morning
  • Andrea681
    Andrea681 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Are you making sure to drink enough water? Dehydration is often a huge part of headaches.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    Dehydration can cause headaches.

Also, I have heard that some people say they get migraines from artificial sweeteners. Maybe that has something to do with it?
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Yes, many artificial sweeteners are known to cause headaches. Some cause heart palpitations and other problems too. I try to avoid them.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    No.1 culprit = dehydration
    No.2 culprit = low blood sugars

Try drinking more and eating more (or more frequently) and see if it helps.

If not, go and see your doctor.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    My Doctor suggested taking Feverfew, an herbal supplement used to prevent headaches, back when I was having frequent headaches for no apparent reason. I don't know if it was real or placebo, but after a few days the headaches stopped.
  • Mindmovesbody
    Mindmovesbody Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I suffer from headaches. Migraines usually but also sinus and tension. They have not been as often but I have noticed when I drink a diet soda ( get my soda fix with no calories) I will have a wicked headache within 48 hours. I switched to stevia in my morning coffee...horrible after taste, then I switched to truvia and it wasnt AS bad as stevia but still not sugar. I decided in the end for the most part, I stick to regular sugar and just limit it. I am not 100% what all my triggers are but I do know that I joined the group eat more to weigh less, upped my calories and I am still losing weight and have a LOT less headaches! I also drink 5 bottles of water minimum a day (16.9 oz bottles, so 10 cups of water) and exercise. Perhaps you are not drinking enough water or eating enough?
  • skoshness
    skoshness Posts: 175
    Options
    maybe it's caffeine withdrawal from your morning coffees?
  • CherryOnionKiss
    CherryOnionKiss Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    could be anemia
  • kellysue48
    Options
    I really struggle with getting 8 glasses of water in. I get in about 4 to 6 most days. I try to add some kind of water flavor that you put in your bottled water. Or a little juice just for flavor. I was adding a packet of sweetener to each bottle...but as some have suggested , that may be the problem :/
  • jesslahd
    jesslahd Posts: 1
    Options
    I suffer from migraines also, and I have a horrible reaction to ANY artificial sweeteners. Instant headache for me. I stay away from all artificial sweeteners and just use sugar in moderation.
  • kellysue48
    Options
    That's what i thought too at first! Just started taking a women's one a day multivitamin. :happy:
  • hedgiie
    hedgiie Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    maybe your pregnant
  • BriskisGrl
    BriskisGrl Posts: 461
    Options
    I suffer from migraines in general.. In the past year they've gotten really bad. 3 months ago I went to a Chiro.. It has helped me tremendously. My neck was outta wack not to mention my hips.
  • sl1ngsh0t
    sl1ngsh0t Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I'd drink more water. When I went off caffeine, my headache lasted for about a month.

On a different yet related note, I have had crippling migraines since childhood. I have been eating "clean" for 2 months, including no nitrates (which are in trail mix, wine, mustard, etc) and no artificial sweeteners and guess what? NO MIGRAINE AT ALL.
  • kellysue48
    Options
    Thanks everybody for your input! That is why i love this site. Everyone is so willing to help with suggestions and helpful information.
    I will take all of them into consideration and if they don't go away i will see my doctor. So nice to have friends that are going through this journey together! :flowerforyou:
  • mdp1965
    mdp1965 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Definitely ditch the artificial sweeteners, they are harmful chemicals and do you no good.
    If you need something to flavour water, try some natural, organic squash - most supermarkets sell this and although they are a little more expensive you only need a tiny splash in a glass of water.
    You really do need to drink more water, sounds like you are getting dehydrated. I bought some scales that test your hydration as well as weight and BMI and, although they are not entirely accurate, its a good guide.
    Drink a glass of water/squash before each meal, this will take the edge off your appetite and also that's 3 glasses down before you do anything else.
    Try to have a bottle of water with you all the time and just sip, it can be hard to drink a big glass but much easier if you sip throughout the day.
    If all this makes no difference to your headaches, definitely seek advice from your doctor, but i'd give it a couple of weeks to see if things settle down.

Good luck with the headaches, and the weight loss :smile:
  • mogriff1
    mogriff1 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough calories? The right kinds of foods? I used to get headaches/migraines very frequently. For me they went away when I cut out fatty foods, processed foods, prepared meals, artificial sweetners, drank more water and upped my calories to my TDEE minus a 500 calorie deficit. Before I was eating about 1300 calories which was too low for my activity level and I felt terrible.

When I upped my calories to about 1850 (my TDEE, 2349 minus a 500 calorie deficit) I immediatley felt better.

It has been quite a while now since I've had a headache/migraine since I've made these changes.
  • kellysue48
    Options
    Hahahaha!!!! Funny one.....ah no:laugh: