Who can eat 1 oz. of chips?

Options
I am feeling frustrated because my intention was to have 1 oz. quality corn chips with salsa as part of my lunch, but I actually ended up weighing out 3 oz. = 450 calories and God knows how much salt. I feel so sad, frustrated and angry at myself. It's a total LIE when I tell myself I will have 1 oz. chips. I am praying for the willingness to not eat them anymore, done, be gone, finito. I just cannot eat them in any "normal" way.

The good news is that I didn't eat the whole bag! ;-D That's my positive pitch for today.

Now I'm going to exercise and try to let go of the anger about these stupid chips. I think I have a high salt/high fat addiction, and just can't deal with this whole food group...

Thoughts?

Replies

• maryellen8301
    maryellen8301 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Good Job on NOT eating the whole bag.. willpower is a b!tch..It looks like you just joined MFP again good job and welcome.. my thoughts on "the Bad food" in the beginning i would not eat any of it. only now being on MFP for 5 months i can eat pizza and chips and pretzels with hummus. it is very hard at first. i tried not to tempt myself with anything that i knew that i couldnt control myself with. I planned all of my meals for the first few months and that helped.. measured everything..
    good luck and stick with it
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    It's hard not to eat the whole bag of chips, I give you credit for not doing it! I would have eaten them all, I'm working on that! I love tortilla chips, they are sooo not good for you though!

If you go to the recipes page or even google homemade tortilla chips there are tons of recipes for "healthy" ones, which are just healthier than the ones at the stores in the bag. I'm going to try and make some tonight, I've heard they are really good!
  • Crumleygirl
    Crumleygirl Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    That's great that you didn't eat them all. Is it like chips from a big store bag? All the big store bags we have give you serving size and ounces. See if you can find a chip number instead. It's a pain but then you won't be beating yourself up later.
  • Hayley7611
    Hayley7611 Posts: 20
    Options
    I have major problems with portion control!! Thats been my most difficult thing. Still is. . however I have officially lost 62 lbs since November 7th :). What helps me the most. . is I get out the serving size from bag of chips. . cereal. . or whatever it might be, and then PUT THE REST AWAY! Then you have to MAKE yourself not go back to it. Whether you have to find something to do right after you eat to occupy your mind. . or just whatever might work out best for you. I hope that this helped, and good luck!!!!
  • rungirl1973
    rungirl1973 Posts: 2,559 Member
    Options
    And that is why chips are not allowed to come into my house.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it, move on. But yes, maybe you should avoid chips in the future. This is not "Orthorexia," a disorder someone discussed earlier which apparently is an obsession with eating only "correct" foods. This food is effectively off the table, forbidden because it can't be enjoyably consumed in a small amount.

That's why the oft-heard statement that you can eat whatever you want, just in small quantities, is often b.s. Nobody eats two tablespoons of ice cream or an ounce of chips without salsa.
  • ribena1958
    ribena1958 Posts: 152
    Options
    can you not get a lower fat version?
  • SweetxCatastrophe
    SweetxCatastrophe Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Buy the single serve bags. I don't buy chips because I know I always eat more than I plan if I do, but if and WHEN I buy them, the single serve bags save me every single time. Theres none of the "oh I can have one or two more" crap...when the bag is gone, its gone.
  • PattyZig
    PattyZig Posts: 2
    Options
    When I'm hungering for a snack, either salt or sweet, I weight/measure out the portion, put the rest away (the further the better), get a nice calorie free drink, go in to my comfortable tv or reading chair, take my shoes off, get comfortable, then eat and drink. Usually I can resist temptation for more because it would be a lot of trouble to get back up, etc.
  • watch48win
    watch48win Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    Try some baked scoops, you get a whole lot more chips per serving that corn chips!
  • KrisyKat
    KrisyKat Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Eat Goldfish crackers instead!!! You can haz 55 of 'em!!!
  • SoySalva
    SoySalva Posts: 138
    Options
    I have chip fits on a regular basis so I have on hand Pringles 50% less cals chips...learned to eat exactly 14 chips for 70 calories...they are quite tasty too!
  • Dudagarcia
    Dudagarcia Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    That's why at my house we only have Fritos because I don't really care for them and a bag can last my hubby a while. We do not Buy anything else!
  • titletown
    titletown Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    The only way I could ever eat an ounce is if that's all that was left when I grabbed the bag :)
  • LovingLisa2012
    LovingLisa2012 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    some chips i can not stop myself ~ cool ranch, corn chips, cheetos :)

soooo

i get the ripple chips 98c at walmart .. i can eat 1oz of those and be happy
  • missyjoy6988
    missyjoy6988 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I don't know what to tell you. Chips are my nemesis. I simply don't buy them anymore. I always thought, "Well, if I just have one serving, that will be okay." I would end up eating the whole doggone bag! When I get to my goal weight, I am going to introduce chips back into my diet, but for right now, when I am seriously trying to lose, I am opting not to buy them at all. It is so hard to lose and so easy to gain!! :(
  • jjjcjw
    jjjcjw Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have found that if I purchase the snack size bags of chips instead of the big bag it works. I remember a person telling me that
    she never thought of buying a small size of m & m's and not the family size. It is a little more pricey, but then I find that I will limit myself to one bag. I also am making lunches for 2 "growing" boys, growing in all the wrong places!!! That helps too to have those limits for them also. I am new to mfp, have done weight watchers with success, but haven't been able to do it for a 2nd time. So far this logging and having to be accountable for everything that goes into my mouth seems to be working! Good Luck
  • Milette812
    Milette812 Posts: 32
    Options
    Seeing so many of you either close to hitting your goals or at least losing weight is very motivating! I just joined today and I really think I have found the thing that is going to help me finally at least start losing this weight the healthy way and get me back on track! Also, does anyone else find it interesting that on the jar of Vlasic dill pickle spears, it says that it has 0 calories in a serving, and the food diary says they have about 5? Personally, I am going with the food diary on this one.

Oh, and I can't eat just one ounce of chips either. I think that is one of the world's impossibilities! LOL.
  • BlissQuest
    BlissQuest Posts: 15
    Options
    Thanks for your understanding and positive pitch...here's more good news, too...with MFP, I too am experimenting with the verboten foods -- plugging into my day's grid at MFP -- and last week I shed 5 pounds, WITH pizza, chips and popcorn in my food plan..that rocks out for me.
  • BlissQuest
    BlissQuest Posts: 15
    Options
    Thanks for sharing -- homemade tortilla chips? My husband loves to putter in the kitchen, maybe I'll give him this assignment? LOL, I don't want to bake ANYTHING right now -- with 110 lbs. to go -- I don't want to tango with extra time in the kitchen.