Successful losers of 70+ pounds: I need support

toribug
toribug Posts: 41 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
I started in April and weighed in at 212 and I am 5'3 , 38 years old. I have lost 30lbs which is great, my goal is 77lbs around 135. I just cleaned a bunch of 18 and 20 clothes out of my closet :drinker:. I was eating around 1200-1500 cal a day bit hit a plateau (lots of salads, frozen foods). I started with a personal trainer and he changed my diet to high protein, low carb, ditched the processed foods and I try to cook more. I work out 3 days a week. I working out 5 days but not losing. I think it is working but VERY SLOWLY :yawn: Almost about 2-4lbs a month. My husband said it took a while to pack on the pounds and it will take a while to get it off. I can deal with 2-4lbs a month but I wish it was about 8 pounds a month. I am still trying to get used to all the protein because I feel full all the time even when it's snack time. I also started on the pill about 3 months ago and have never been on it so I have no idea if that is holding back my weight loss. I know some women have weight gain when they are on it. I have fibromyalgia and have not ate really well this week because I have missed 2 days of work and been in bed a lot, very tired but I am gonna try to work out tonight. I will not let it take over my life. I know I am going on and on, sorry. Also, I am in a size 16 currently but buying 14's, waiting for the day they fit. But before when I was in a 16 I weighed 155lbs, not 182. That is confusing to me, I guess if I didn't have the "FULL OF FAT, BABY BELLY, " from my 3 beautiful kids maybe I would weigh less. My trainer said I have a lot of muscle but I am still confused on the weight vs size thing. I just need some support, like if it took yrs instead of months to lose and things you have done to get the weight moving, stuff like that. Thanks for any support and advise you can give.

Replies

• Different manufacturers have different sizing. I can wear a medium in Champion C9 workout wear from Target but I have to get a large in Danskin workout wear from Walmart. I think they also increased their sizes for the general public's overall increase in size, too. How long ago did you wear size 16 and weigh 155lbs?

So how many total calories does the personal trainer have you eating per day? How much of that is for fat? What are his credentials? How qualified is he to be changing how you eat? It's good to have ditched the processed foods. When you do workout how long and how hard is it? You may need just a little bit of tweaking to get you back on track. Depending on your health, was it a wise decision to get on the pill at 38yrs of age? I finally got my birth control method stopped just a couple of months shy of turning 38 myself, hubby is going to get snipped. I realized being older means I have to put in more work to lose weight than when I was in my 20's. There are so many different factors to consider and work on but it can be done. Even if you are not able to work out, if you are eating less calories than what you need you will still be doing good. If the trainer has you eating enough calories already including working out and then you don't, then that could cause some problems. I go down to my basic calorie allotment when I don't work out.

Good Luck!
    Demetria
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Mine took forever. Seriously forever. Three years start to (almost) finished. My blog tells the whole long story, if you're interested.

Try your hardest to focus on the way you feel rather than how things move. I only weighed myself once a month for most of my loss, and went through a six month period where I didn't weigh at all.

If you've been to a doctor to rule out any medical reason for your loss to be so slow, you may just be a slower loser. Just re-read your OP. . .are you on meds for your fibro? A lot of meds can cause weight gain (you can pm me if you're not comfortable talking about it here)

Keep the faith!

Also, clothing sizes are crazy. I would go by measurements rather than sizes. At my goal weight, I have everything in my closet from a 3 to a 10, and they all fit the same. It's maddening. I actually cut the size tags out now because they do me psychological damage.:tongue:
  • Toribug,
    Congratulations on your loses so far. It is tough and frustrating at times. Keep your chin up. I don't know exactly what you're going thru with everything but I do totally understand your frustrations.

One of my good friends has fibromyalgia and recently changed medicines....prior to the change she was having a hard time losing the weight. But with the change of meds and a regular exercise & diet, she's starting to slim down.

With the weight vs size: it's normal..muscle weighs more than fat and when you're trying to lose the excess fat, it can be frustrating to see your scale say you weigh more than you think you should. Keep up the great work, hun, and before you know it, you'll be in those size 14s. :0)

Candi
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    I have been on here since January and have lost 75 lbs. BUT I had 150 to lose. At first it came of quickly and now it is slowing down some. I was losing 10 lbs a month but now it is down to about 4 or 5. Your husband is right. It took a long time to gain it. All I know is that in one year, I will be one year older no matter what..so I may as well be healthier too!

You have done well so far... just be patient. It isn't a race, it is a change in lifestyle. Every pound you lose...no matter how long it takes is a step in the right direction.

My clothes are smaller than they were when I wsa this weight before, but I wasn't working out and I definitely wasn't as toned as I am
  • Hi,
    I will share my own experience. I have lost over 70lbs in 10 months...maybe more. This is a no stress zone as far as my eating goes. I had close to 150lbs to loose so I still have a long way to go. I have simply kept to the parameters set by the website. I do not weigh often because then I would be obsessed with every little detail. Your body will respond as long as you are keeping within the parameters given. I read every label & keep my fat grams under what I am allowed. For me, it is fats that I overeat....so I am careful, but I am not going to beat myself up if I go over slightly one day....it is a long road & I am human which means every once in a while I blow it. It may be that you cannot fit into someone else's idea of what you should or should not do. The first two weeks of this program I ate normally.....and quickly discovered what I thought was my problem area which was carbs wasn't the problem at all! I never expected this program to work. My daughter kept on me until I tried it just to make her happy! I learned as I have gone what works & what doesn't. I think just following the plan without all the stress & worry with give you just what you need. The weight will come off, I promise! If you continue to have other people dictate what you should or shouldn't be doing, you will get discouraged. As long as you are moving your body....and you are.....and are staying under the parameters for your weight you will reach your goal and have fun doing it.

Good luck,
    Lynne
  • sajar_06
    sajar_06 Posts: 173 Member
    Hey,
    I know it can be frustrating at best. Hubby is right you did not gain it over night so you will not lose it over night. The pill can cause some weight gain depending on what you are taking. You want protein but not in excess you can eat high fiber foods and drink lots of water for that full feeling too. Water flushes fat as well as sodium so it is critical to get enough water a day. If you eat 1200 calories a day after everything is calculated at the end of the day the remaining calories above that 1200 is what you want to burn off. You need to have a deficit of 500 calories a day 7 days a week to lose 1 pound a week; 3500 calories is a pound lost or gained depending on deficit or surplus. Never go below 1200 calories a day after all the math is done at the end of the day. Take me for example right now I am maintaining not gaining not losing I burn on average 2200 to 2300 calories a day now I have to eat that many calories a day in order to maintain my weight but if I wanted to lose then I would only eat 1200 to 1300 calories a day for a total loss at the end of the week for a 2 pound loss because I have that 1000 to 1100 calories deficit a day. Does this make sense it is calories in calories out and to lose you have to have more calories going out than you take in. Muscle does weigh and yes you can lose a pound of fat and gain a pound of muscle with high protein diet. What you are really wanting is a lifestyle change you can live with the rest of your life because you can never go back to eating the way you were or you will gain it back and then more if not careful. Mix things up a bit like exercise and the way you eat or when you even eat certain foods and the weight loss should start again. let me know if I have confused you and I will try to explain better. Keep going you are doing fine. God Bless, brenda

I have lost a total of 140 pounds just so you will know and did it in less than a year and a half.
This discussion has been closed.