Scale Accuracy

Options
So I'm well aware it's essential to keep to one scale when weighing, but I've been having an issue with said scale.

I weigh at a weight loss clinic since it's free once a week, but I also have a scale at home and at my Aunt's house, whose home I'm at twice a week or so because she has a pool. For fun I always compared my weight from the clinic to that of my Aunt's scale and noticed at least a 5lb difference each time. The past month the difference has been getting bigger. The clinic's scale has barely moved yet her scale kept showing at least 2-3lbs of loss a week. Today I weighed at the clinic and only lost a pound bringing me to 307lbs. I went to my Aunt's after to swim and hers said 298lbs. (and no I don't know the max weight of her scale, it's an older health-o-meter dial scale that at least reads up to 350lbs since I was using her scale when I tried to lose weight two years ago.) After I swam I weighed again and got an even 300lbs. The scale I have at home only reads to 300 but when I stepped on it after coming home it read an even 300 too.

My question is, if two different scales say the same number and one doesn't even though it's a doctor's office grade scale, does that make the different reading one wrong or is it mere coincidence with the others? I know accuracy is questionable if you weigh too close to the scale's limit. And I know some are going to say it's a muscle thing or water weight or to rely on measurements but frankly I want an accurate scale, I want to know that the number I'm seeing is either dead on or close enough to it that I'm not questioning what I'm seeing in the mirror or wondering if I'm doing something wrong if I'm not.

Alongside that if anyone could recommend a good home scale that's not expensive I'd appreciate it. At the clinic I have to be clothed and I know it's always best to be naked or next to it and I'd rather have the luxury of the home scale rather than driving across town once a week and getting looks if the scale said I gained half a pound simply because I was too stupid to rest and let the water weight work itself out.

(and I realize I'm probably asking difficult stuff and I'm sorry, but considering I'm sitting here in a shirt I bought when I was in the mid-200s and it's baggy on me, I can't believe I'm sitting at 307lbs. )

Replies

• wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    You say you're clothed at the clinic, are you wearing the same outfit as when you're on the other scales?
    The one scale only goes up to 300, so even if you were over 300 like at the clinic, that one would only show you as 300 since that's as high as it goes, so you can't say that that one matches anything.
    What times of day are you weighing and what are you eating/drinking/expelling in between? Most folks weigh less in the morning than later in the day, but (as a daily weigher) I know that I'll see differences depending on my bathroom visit that morning.

All of these factors, and more, are why it's best to get one scale and stick to that one for weighing. Choose a digital scale that measures in some fraction of a pound (usually in .2 increments) that will accomodate above your highest possible weight.

Then choose a day, an approximate time (try to stay within at least the same hour time frame) and what you're going to wear each time. Then stay consistent. And really, the time matters. Even on mornings I plan to sleep in, I get up at the normal time I weigh in during the week to get my weight. I did this because I noticed that if I got two-three hours past that time I can show an extra loss of up to a full pound.

For affordability, check the mail or online for a coupon for Bed Bath and Beyond. They regularly send out 20% off coupons. Then just head in and find a scale in your price range that has the above features. Take your initial weight on that and then continue to use only that scale for weighing and tracking of your loss. And you should be good to go. :)
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    You say you're clothed at the clinic, are you wearing the same outfit as when you're on the other scales?
    The one scale only goes up to 300, so even if you were over 300 like at the clinic, that one would only show you as 300 since that's as high as it goes, so you can't say that that one matches anything.
    What times of day are you weighing and what are you eating/drinking/expelling in between? Most folks weigh less in the morning than later in the day, but (as a daily weigher) I know that I'll see differences depending on my bathroom visit that morning.

All of these factors, and more, are why it's best to get one scale and stick to that one for weighing. Choose a digital scale that measures in some fraction of a pound (usually in .2 increments) that will accomodate above your highest possible weight.

Then choose a day, an approximate time (try to stay within at least the same hour time frame) and what you're going to wear each time. Then stay consistent. And really, the time matters. Even on mornings I plan to sleep in, I get up at the normal time I weigh in during the week to get my weight. I did this because I noticed that if I got two-three hours past that time I can show an extra loss of up to a full pound.

For affordability, check the mail or online for a coupon for Bed Bath and Beyond. They regularly send out 20% off coupons. Then just head in and find a scale in your price range that has the above features. Take your initial weight on that and then continue to use only that scale for weighing and tracking of your loss. And you should be good to go. :)

Essentially I wear the same outfit. I wear a light t-shirt (light in material weight) and denim stretch pants since they're the only pants I find comfortable at my weight, and socks. I don't wear jewelry, hats, or have anything in my pockets when I weigh. I've even weighed the clothes I wear before (different scale) just to know how much was going on my body. And yeah I know about the inaccuracy with the scale that stops at 300, but it was the only other I had for comparison and I didn't want to say "well I tried another scale and it said I weigh less!" I'm not looking for one that's gonna lie and say I'm less than what I am, I just want one that's accurate.

As for time of day, between 11 am and 1 pm on Thursday every week. It's hard to make it more punctual because the clinic is literally across town and traffic is unpredictable, which is another reason I'd like a home scale more. Saves me gas and having to wonder about my timing. I usually have about 16oz of water and my morning medication before I go and I do always go to the bathroom before to make sure I have an empty bladder and intestines. I don't eat anything until after, I made that mistake once and even just having a banana made a difference.

Thanks to the forums I know the intricacies of weighing, but I'm having trouble believing the accuracy of the clinic's scale when even the dinky one at the gym that's by the same company reads a different number. I would ask the assistants how often it's calibrated but they're not really medical assistants of any kind and I'm sure they don't know or care.
  • MoonGazer91
    MoonGazer91 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    It's interesting that you post this now - I discovered an odd think earlier - I always weigh at about the same time, after I've been to the loo and such when I've dried fully after having my shower, not clothed - both being on the same floor mind you, my landlady's digital scale shows me as being about 58.8kg, whereas my dial one shows me being 55kg, which is really quite the difference and I can't figure out why.
  • saragato
    Options
    Alright since it's been a few hours I'll nudge this up as I would really appreciate more than one person's opinion on the matter.
  • rchambers2072
    rchambers2072 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I have noticed that where I stand on my scale can make a difference also. Too close to the top its one thing, in the middle it is another, and close to the bottom can be a third. So I try to line my toes up in the same spot every morning.
  • saragato
    Options
    I have noticed that where I stand on my scale can make a difference also. Too close to the top its one thing, in the middle it is another, and close to the bottom can be a third. So I try to line my toes up in the same spot every morning.

The scale at the clinic has metal circles and a foot silhouette you're to line your feet up with since it also calculates your body composition (BMR, BMI, and other stuff) so there's not a lot of wiggle room. My Aunt's scale has a divider that basically leaves you no wiggle or shift room as far as physical movement but because it's an old analog model the needle will "shudder" if you lean forward too much. The scale in my house, which is a very old analog model, does have room to shift but I don't use this scale at all since I don't consider it useful at my current weight range. Or really ever, it was bought at a garage sale.

I don't move around when I weigh and with the first two I mentioned my feet are always in the same place. Besides, I'm pretty sure you can't get as drastic a reading as 307 to 298 from shifting or standing a certain way on a scale. That's too large of a weight gap to chalk up to "oh I put my feet too far up today."