Carb Cutting

Options
Ok... Aside from the "Bad" carbs... If I'm looking to lower my carb intake whats a reasonable goal? I don't think I'm disciplined enough to lose them all together, but Im not sure what a good goal number would be on a day to day intake. Any suggestions? Ive never worried about carb counting before always just aimed on low cal. Now I am working on lower carb, higher protein. Thanks.

Replies

• wren176
    wren176 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Jenn I'm waiting to see what answers you get. I find if i stay 50 carbs or under on my 1200 calories I lose more than the 2 pounds a week that MFP predicts but there is nothing scientific just seems to be the number that my body responds to.
  • jaxandmaksmom
    jaxandmaksmom Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    i would love to know this as well... my problem is after my protein shake and milk in the morning i am at about 50 g of carbs.. i dont wanna do crazy carb cut because i need the energy for work outs.. but i know carbs are my problem..

also when we do cut carbs.. is it all carbs or just the bad ones... ( all my carbs are from good food)
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    I keep mine anywhere from 75-125g/day and so far, so good! ;)
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Atkins says 20 gr of carbs with at least 12 comming from green leafy vegtables. Right now I am able to stay below 20 but its very hard. I think that a reasonable amount for me (wt 157) is around 50 daily. Havent yet tried it, think Wren may be right.
  • mrscarrey
    mrscarrey Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-primal-carbohydrate-continuum/

A good read.

I've kept mine at the top end of the ketogenic level - around 50 net carbs a day and that has worked extremely well for me for weight loss. About 67 lbs now in 11 months. I started at 20 net (carbs less fiber) carbs a day for 2 weeks and gradually worked them back in - mostly in the form of veggies and berries, full fat dairy and nuts.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    Here is one explanation of various levels of carb cutting. I found it interesting.
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-primal-carbohydrate-continuum/#axzz1tU5qPjYq

Edit: I see mscarrey and I were posting at the exact same moment. :laugh:

One thing I can't find an answer to is if you go for 50-100 carbs per day, do you still have to limit your calories to the level MFP sets, i.e. 1510?
  • misscristie
    misscristie Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I keep mine between 50-75 g NET - Total Carbs - Fiber. If I eat some Adkins thing or whatever on occasion, I'll remove the sugar alcohols as well.

I eat a lot of meat, a bit of cheese, drink low carb protein shakes. I limit fruit to one small serving per day - Like 4 strawberries or a handful of raspberries in some greek yogurt. Veggies like peppers, lettuce, cukes, tomatoes for fiber.

I do have days that I go over that number, but when I do what I'm aiming to do, I keep my carbs limited to that and eat over 100g of protein.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    i would love to know this as well... my problem is after my protein shake and milk in the morning i am at about 50 g of carbs.. i dont wanna do crazy carb cut because i need the energy for work outs.. but i know carbs are my problem..

also when we do cut carbs.. is it all carbs or just the bad ones... ( all my carbs are from good food)

Your body sees them all as CARBS.
  • jaxandmaksmom
    jaxandmaksmom Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    so u are all at under 50 grams of carbs and getting your veggies and fruits every day???? i am so confuesed by it all.. i keep mine at 150 ish.. sometimes less sometimes more... but i eat veggies and fruit.. soooooooo and drink non fat milk.
  • mrscarrey
    Options
    Here is one explanation of various levels of carb cutting. I found it interesting.
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-primal-carbohydrate-continuum/#axzz1tU5qPjYq

Edit: I see mscarrey and I were posting at the exact same moment. :laugh:

One thing I can't find an answer to is if you go for 50-100 carbs per day, do you still have to limit your calories to the level MFP sets, i.e. 1510?

:) Great minds. :) I think the honest answer is that you have to work with your body and see. Experiment with carbs/calories and track well and give each new combination at least a month to see trends. I will ALWAYS keep my carbs low because I know that works for me and makes me feel amazing, but some may be able to go a little higher/lower depending on caloric intake, activity level, etc. Just always make sure to make the carbs count (real food vs processed food). Good luck! Also, I have almost NEVER come in under my MFP calories, and I'm still losing and feeling great. I don't believe in calories in/calories out the way it's presented to us (law of thermodynamics, etc) in terms of weight loss anyway. For one, our body is NOT a closed system and those laws only work in closed systems.
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I limit carbs because I'm diabetic. I keep to 50 per meal and 15 or so per snack (more if it's a low glycemic snack) NET. It keeps my blood sugar under control without medication, and seems to be good for weight loss, though I also watch my calories, fat, and sodium.
  • mrscarrey
    Options
    so u are all at under 50 grams of carbs and getting your veggies and fruits every day???? i am so confuesed by it all.. i keep mine at 150 ish.. sometimes less sometimes more... but i eat veggies and fruit.. soooooooo and drink non fat milk.

Personally, I don't limit my fat. I eat a high fat, moderate protein and low carb way if you look at it from a caloric standpoint. I just make sure the fats are healthy - healthy animal fat, avocado, healthy oils. I do NOT eat trans fat, man-made fats, low fat processed products and I try to limit polyunsaturated fats. Basically, if it's processed (especially vegetable oils, soybean oil, margarine, etc), I avoid it. If it's natural, I eat it.
  • jennp1129
    jennp1129 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    20-50... Yikes. Here I was proud today because I kept it under 100 today. Although looking back at my diary I could see were I can cut a little more. I'm not sure I can go as extreme as 20 G a day. So I'm going to go with the logic that every little bit helps. And me cutting out half my carbs will make a difference. Giving up Sugar and Soda this week has been hard enough. LoL. Not sure my body can take anymore in one week. Although, I guess thats the price you pay to be "Bikini Ready" LoL
  • twentyseven2012
    twentyseven2012 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I also am a 'Primal Blueprint' follower, and listen to Mark Sisson's advice of heavily leaning towards 50 grams of carbs a day, no more than 100 for optimal weight loss.

I, myself, stick close to 50ish or under, but some do better super low or close to 100-- all depends on the person.

GL!
  • acman145acp
    acman145acp Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I keep mine under 100.
    The only time i'm able to get near 20 is if i eat virtually nothing but meat all day.
  • mollydubs
    mollydubs Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Those of you who stay around 50g or less of net carbs, how many total grams of carbs does that typically lead to for you? Just curious - I've never thought of net carbs when looking at my daily numbers. Looking back at my diary, I'm finding it's kind of interesting to see net carbs vs total carbs.