Is it worth lifting when no where near goal?

Options
The title says it all really. I'm nowhere near the top end of my goal weight (maybe 35lbs off it) but have recently started lifting. But people keep telling me that i am wasting my time and/or that it will stop me losing weight.

Is this true am I wasting my time or is it worth doing?

Thanks

Replies

• sapalee
    sapalee Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    You are not wasting your time. Lifting now will improve your body composition, increase your metabolism, and prevent muscle loss while you are dieting. The scale may not move as much but you will feel and look better. Tell them to shove off. :)
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is. Even if you aren't close to your goal, there is a body in there somewhere that will be more and more visible as your get closer to your goal. Do you want that exposed body to be weak and skinny, or strong and fit?
  • jaysonhijinx
    jaysonhijinx Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    You are not wasting your time. Lifting now will improve your body composition, increase your metabolism, and prevent muscle loss while you are dieting. The scale may not move as much but you will feel and look better. Tell them to shove off. :)

Amen! Wish I had known this earlier though! :(
  • wannadance
    wannadance Posts: 59
    Options
    Thank you!! Just stumbled across this - really great to know :)
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    You are not wasting your time.. Nor will you stop losing weight.

If you are new to lifting, then you stand a pretty good chance of gaining a little muscle while in a deficit(normally only able to be done while eating a surplus of calories) and the weight will come off slower, but it won't stop. Reason why is comes off slower is due to water retention from lifting sessions. Make sure to bust out the tape measure and not get so hung up on the scale when it doesn't go the way you want!
  • docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    It can stop you from losing weight, but it will only help you lose fat.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    It can stop you from losing weight, temporarily

fixed for you :)
  • Giraffe33991
    Giraffe33991 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    YES! Kicks up metabolism and is awfully nice to see a nice firm muscle when you do lose the fat above it. Trust me I've been there...
  • patranus
    patranus Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't have a "goal weight" rather a goal body fat percentage.
  • missionmeltdown
    missionmeltdown Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this thread. I've recently started a heavy weight training program and the scale has not moved for weeks. Even gained last week. Was completely frustrated, but everything anyone is telling me is what has been told to you. Good for metabolism, more muscle means more calories burned at rest, and once the weight comes off your body comp will be much better than if you hadn't lifted.

So, stay the course. Despite the numbers on the scale. Best of health to you!
  • sharryne
    sharryne Posts: 1
    Options
    Totally worth it. You need to strengthen and tone your body during and after weight loss. Set your reps with the lbs you lift and increase as needed to feel the burn. Combine your cardio with strength training on a day on/day off basis. Keep up the good work!
  • dg09
    dg09 Posts: 754
    Options
    It won't stop you from losing at all, It should promote fat loss.

I started lifting 9 months ago, start as soon as possible!
  • kathleennf
    kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
    Options

If you are new to lifting, then you stand a pretty good chance of gaining a little muscle while in a deficit(normally only able to be done while eating a surplus of calories) and the weight will come off slower, but it won't stop. Reason why is comes off slower is due to water retention from lifting sessions. Make sure to bust out the tape measure and not get so hung up on the scale when it doesn't go the way you want!

THanks- this is JUST what I wanted to know! I am trying to build muscle (I'm at my goal) but not put fat back on so I have been scared to increase my calories. Everything I have read says you need more calories to put on muscle- but I seem to be putting on muscle and maintaining the same weight or even dropping a little. So I'm staying the course. Maybe I would put muscle on faster if I ate more- but I really don't want all the fat back!
  • CynGoddess
    CynGoddess Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    so glad someone asked this. I also wanted to know. I will keep on even with my scale not moving.
  • erin_zuk
    erin_zuk Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Build the muscle foundation first, then burn the fat off.
    If you don't build the muscle tone first, you will end up very flabby.
  • jbayldon
    jbayldon Posts: 4
    Options
    im down 26 lbs from little cardio and mostly lifting or strength based cardio with weights.... not a waste imo at all
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Everyone needs muscle--go for it! Besides, muscle makes your metabolism more efficient.
  • Michellerawrrr
    Michellerawrrr Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    100% ~ start lifting now and combine it with a good cardio program.
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    YES! Kicks up metabolism and is awfully nice to see a nice firm muscle when you do lose the fat above it. Trust me I've been there...

THIS!
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Do it! Not having begun weight lifting on Day 1 when I was big was a huge mistake. Now it's like starting all over again so that I can look more fit and have a higher LBM.